Italian blues :(

veeveenyc

Sep 11, 2009
Hello All,
I live in NYC and I have a cracked carbon steerer. I own a 2007 Pinarello Galileo with the Onda carbon fork. Gita says they have a pink replacement for $ 386.00 or a white one from a dogma which is $600.+ Does anyone know a local shop in the NYC that might have a "pulled" onda fork as a replacement? I really don't see the point in investing in an older frame at this point. This bike has 2000 miles + and is still in good shape but this onda fork business is really a drag.. Thanks.

veeveenyc said:
Hello All,
I live in NYC and I have a cracked carbon steerer. I own a 2007 Pinarello Galileo with the Onda carbon fork. Gita says they have a pink replacement for $ 386.00 or a white one from a dogma which is $600.+ Does anyone know a local shop in the NYC that might have a "pulled" onda fork as a replacement? I really don't see the point in investing in an older frame at this point. This bike has 2000 miles + and is still in good shape but this onda fork business is really a drag.. Thanks.

Uhmm, "older frame"? At a measly 2000 miles, that frame counts as "almost new" and hardly used in my book (and it better be in good shape, for that matter...). If you feel it's an "older frame", however, why not put it up for sale on eBay, and get yourself a new one?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to clarify, bought it used this year and put 2000 miles in the few times it wasn't raining in nyc this summer. Don't know how many total miles it has on it. It would be hard to sell this frame without a fork no ?
Pinarello uses an integrated headset that only interfaces with the Onda fork. I am looking for info on bike shops in nyc that people have bought pinarellos from. Thanks for the advise anyway.

I'm not sure why you're hesitating to put money into your frame. Even though you bought it used, it's still a 2007 frame. That's not old by a long shot. Aside from the fork, what kind of shape is the frame in?

I don't think you're likely to be successful finding an Onda fork at an LBS. I can't think of a reason why a dealer would pull an Onda fork, except the case wherein the fork is defective. Perhaps you should give overseas dealers of Pinarello a try, or better yet try contacting Pinarello directly. You might also surf eBay. All kinds of stuff shows up there.

Thanks again for the reply, I did talk to Gita (they are the importer for Pinarello here in the US.) and they told me to look for a local dealer that sells their stuff and see if they would sell me a fork...
I found this to be a bit odd, so my LBS was able to get those prices. I can get a new 2009 Ridley Boreas frame and fork for $800.00 with compact geometry and new carbon is always safer than even 3 years old carbon. I think spending $400.00 on a fork for an old frame maybe not a good investment? I'll look around but maybe just hang it up for now and look into cyclocross bikes and get new frame and fork in the spring. Thanks all .

veeveenyc said:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry to clarify, bought it used this year and put 2000 miles in the few times it wasn't raining in nyc this summer. Don't know how many total miles it has on it. It would be hard to sell this frame without a fork no ?
Pinarello uses an integrated headset that only interfaces with the Onda fork. I am looking for info on bike shops in nyc that people have bought pinarellos from. Thanks for the advise anyway.
Okay, I'm an inquiring mind -- What is the OD of the steerer which makes it proprietary?

How did you crack the steerer?!?

How did the cracked steerer manifest itself?

As far as whether or not someone would be willing to buy the frame on eBay, there is only one way to find out ... list it ... was the frame/bike involved in a crash?

alfeng said:
Okay, I'm an inquiring mind -- What is the OD of the steerer which makes it proprietary?

How did you crack the steerer?!?

How did the cracked steerer manifest itself?

As far as whether or not someone would be willing to buy the frame on eBay, there is only one way to find out ... list it ... was the frame/bike involved in a crash?

I think Pinarello has conical steerer tubes.

The question for the reason the steerer is cracked is a good one. If this did not happen because of a crash, then Pinarello should and probably would replace the fork under warranty, IF the OP was the original owner, which he isn't.

To the OP: If the steerer did not crack in an accident, and if you can contact the original owner, he might be able to help you get a warranty claim in for this.

veeveenyc said:
I can get a new 2009 Ridley Boreas frame and fork for $800.00 with compact geometry and new carbon is always safer than even 3 years old carbon.

What Pinarello frame is this? Chances are it cost a lot more than $800 originally. Also, unless this bike has been abused massively, there is no reason to worry about "3 years old carbon". Under normal conditions, your Pinarello frame can be expected to last decades without worries. You seem to have this strange fixation on your frame being "old". There is no rational basis for this. Like Alien said, a 2007 frame is almost new.

P.S.: I just realized you said it's a Pinarello Galileo. Isn't that an aluminum frame?

Dietmar said:
I think Pinarello has conical steerer tubes.
Thanks.

FWIW/IMO. Unless the manufacturer is either Shimano or Campagnolo, the introduction of anything propietary is probably something which a non-sponsored rider should avoid.

BTW. If a "regular" internal headset won't fit inside the Pinarello head tube, then PROBLEM SOLVERS probably makes an adapter/("shim") which will allow a(ny) Pinarello user to use a "regular" internal headset + a "regular" 1 1/8" fork.

Agree there is something to be said for staying with common hardware on the bike, ie, cheap and readily available replacement parts for many years.

Case in point: Currently I'm looking for replacement BB bearings for my FSA Megatech OS setup. It uses an ISIS spindle, with cartridge bearings pressed directly into an OS BB shell.
Was able to obtain a replacement pair a few years ago, but FSA no longer has them. Online bearing supply houses don't seem to list the size: 43x27x8mm (SS w/2RS).

Have asked my LBS to check with their suppliers so maybe that will yield some results. Would prefer to find an online source so I could order them directly though.

dhk2 said:
Agree there is something to be said for staying with common hardware on the bike, ie, cheap and readily available replacement parts for many years.

Case in point: Currently I'm looking for replacement BB bearings for my FSA Megatech OS setup. It uses an ISIS spindle, with cartridge bearings pressed directly into an OS BB shell.
Was able to obtain a replacement pair a few years ago, but FSA no longer has them. Online bearing supply houses don't seem to list the size: 43x27x8mm (SS w/2RS).

Have asked my LBS to check with their suppliers so maybe that will yield some results. Would prefer to find an online source so I could order them directly though.

Campy Ultra Torque bearings are the same way: difficult to find. They're 1mm narrower than the common sized 6805. Campy seems to be about the only source for stainless steel bearings for the UT crankset.

alienator said:
Campy Ultra Torque bearings are the same way: difficult to find. They're 1mm narrower than the common sized 6805. Campy seems to be about the only source for stainless steel bearings for the UT crankset.

New BBs, like the ones from shimano, are now 6805/6mm ones so I suspect you'll see more but we sell bearings(6805/6mm) from Wheels manufacturing. They are ceramic/hybrid but we like them NOT because of that but because they have seals on both sides of the bearing, something Campagnolo refuses to do for some unknown reason.

Either contact them if you have a wholesale account or I can get ya some. Retail they are $40 per bearing, WAY cheaper than the overpriced ones from Campagnolo, either stainless or ceramic.

BTW-before this the only place that had Campagnolo bearings was Campagnolo, USA. Hard to find.