Italian lugged frames

Doug Dean

Aug 9, 2003
I am curious as to which Italian builders still offer traditional steel frames that are brazed and lugged? Do all the big names custom build them on request still? Also, what are the best Italian alloys to use, with weight not of critical importance? Which frame would you recommend if you were building a classic road bike to last a lifetime, and always wanted that high end Italian job with the latest campy gear? Thanks for the help, Doug

Hello Doug, I built up a new old stock Gianni Motta that I bought here in town. The main distributor has a shop about 2 miles from where I live. It is fully lugged, made in Italy with all Italian threads. I built it up with full Campy. (even the rims) It is the Italian tri-color with chromed rear triangle and fork. It is Columbus SL tubing. He still has about 8 frames left. (all NOS) The rest of the road frames are SLX tubing. If your interested let me know what size you need and I will let you know what they have left.

I purchased a Conago classic frame with flash carbon fork 10/02. It is a classic italian steel lugged frame. The LBS I went to sells colnago and Eddy at Velocite Bicycle Sport spent his time in ensuring I got the right size frame.
Because I am short (just shy of 5'3"), I put on an ITM Fibre handlebar (shallow reach w/o the ergo curve), stella azzura carbon seatpost, chorus triple groupo (I plan on growing old on this bike). I put on campy proton wheels.
If you can find a colnago dealer in your area check this frame out...it sounds like it is what you are looking for.
Ciao!
Stella

doug..

call era pro bike shop. erapro.com
I purchased a beautiful moser lugged steel frame with chrome rear stays and chrome fork. It's the smoothest riding bike I've ever owned. I also recently purchased a beautiful ciocc steel frame off ebay. So now I've got two. The only thing I need now is downtube shifting(te he!)

Originally posted by Doug Dean
I am curious as to which Italian builders still offer traditional steel frames that are brazed and lugged? Do all the big names custom build them on request still? Also, what are the best Italian alloys to use, with weight not of critical importance? Which frame would you recommend if you were building a classic road bike to last a lifetime, and always wanted that high end Italian job with the latest campy gear? Thanks for the help, Doug