Italian Schoolgirls quit TDF

dkota_rt

Jul 9, 2004
Yes................ I am talking about Cipollini and Pettachi. They both blamed their exit on the pour weather and crashes. Remember that Tyler Hamilton last year raced to the end with broken collar bone. Why are the Italian sprinters being babies?......... because they can't get a stage win on a sunny day when the peloton tows them to the last KM. These wheel suckers need to retiree permanately. They can't run with the big dogs. You will never see Lance or Tyler crying about the conditions or crashes. I was laughing so hard watching Cipo suffering on the flat stages. Can you imagine him ever riding up a hill? He should stick to track cycling.

Originally posted by dkota_rt
Yes................ I am talking about Cipollini and Pettachi. They both blamed their exit on the pour weather and crashes. Remember that Tyler Hamilton last year raced to the end with broken collar bone. Why are the Italian sprinters being babies?......... because they can't get a stage win on a sunny day when the peloton tows them to the last KM. These wheel suckers need to retiree permanately. They can't run with the big dogs. You will never see Lance or Tyler crying about the conditions or crashes. I was laughing so hard watching Cipo suffering on the flat stages. Can you imagine him ever riding up a hill? He should stick to track cycling.

How many Giros did you did you say you had won?:confused:

Giro is a second class race by todays standards. Most of the best riders skip the Giro. Lance does'nt participate in the Giro and Lance outsprinted Cipollini in the tour of Georgia this year.....

Giro is a second class race by todays standards. Most of the best riders skip the Giro. Lance does'nt participate in the Giro and Lance outsprinted Cipollini in the tour of Georgia this year.....

That is a well thought out troll, well done.

Yeah and that little spin around Spain is second class too.

Are you kidding me? They don't call the three races the Grand Tours for nothing. I wouldn't take anything away from the GIro or the Vuelta. The TDF is the most important but that wouldn't make the other two second class.

Maybe you could just put your granny out on an ice flow for the polar bears. That should give you the same warm fuzzy feeling as retiring some of the best cyclist in the world.
Lance is great but I won't criticize someone unless I can stay on thier wheel.

Yeah, and I suppose you could just fly through the Dolomites! Get real.

The reason why the big boys pass on the Giro is because it is too big a challenge, too close to the TdF. I'll bet Lance, Jan or Tyler would love to put a Giro win under their belt, but they know it would jeopardize their performance in the TdF.

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Yeah, and I suppose you could just fly through the Dolomites! Get real.

The reason why the big boys pass on the Giro is because it is too big a challenge, too close to the TdF. I'll bet Lance, Jan or Tyler would love to put a Giro win under their belt, but they know it would jeopardize their performance in the TdF.

I do agree that the Giro is a real grand tour, but you have to admit that the quality of team is not as high as the TDF.

This means that teams like Fassa need to work harder to control the front of the peleton for the sprint, and this year they have not been able to do. The rest of the teams are just to strong and will not let them put Petacchi into position.

Originally posted by jcjordan
I do agree that the Giro is a real grand tour, but you have to admit that the quality of team is not as high as the TDF.

This means that teams like Fassa need to work harder to control the front of the peleton for the sprint, and this year they have not been able to do. The rest of the teams are just to strong and will not let them put Petacchi into position.

Right, at the Giro Petacchi was clearly the Big Fish. Not so at the TdF.

I also share the original poster's disappointment in Petacchi, Cipollini, and even Simoni (though he hasn't dropped out yet). They may not be schoolgirls but they are coming across as whiners - of course the Tour is hard, they should have known that when they signed up.

Please start by learning something about the sport before you start ranting and raving.

Its's quite simple: Cipollini and Pettachi are riding for Italian teams. For an Italian team the Giro is much more important than the Tour. Both riders peak for the Giro.

These tours are too far apart to maintain a peak condition and too close to have a 2nd peak. Obviously they are in less than stellar physical condition. Due to the intesity of racing in the Tour, it is extremely difficult to come and compete if you're not in top shape or have an extraordinary year (as Vinokourov in 2003).

Simple, isn't it?

Niek

Actually Tyler was doing a little crying about race safety. I don't disagree with his issues but it is still crying or complaining whichever you prefer.

Yeah - and Hamilton rode to fourth with a broken collar bone last year.

Strange isn't it - all three of the Italians looked far from winning a stage - do you reckon this has anything to do with them dropping out? I reckon if they'd have been in contention then they may have battled on. Instead they decided it was all too much for them....ahhh.. bless them....well it has been raining and it's quite cold you know..... :D

refrain of ' you only sing when you're winning'

If they're not schoolgirls then I'd love to know how you would describe them!!!

I would describe them as cyclist that could kick your a** on thier worst day.
I am 51 years old and probably can also. :D

well I should hope they would!

Although I reckon I could design buildings bettter than any of them (or all three together!) - horses - courses etc.

All three have made fairly grand claims about their chances in this tour - non seem to have backed those claims up in any way.

They may be able to beat me but maybe I wouldn't quit so easily?

One thing I would like to know, were they emotional at all when they annouced they were not racing anymore, if injuries were the case?

I ask this b/c I think it was 2 days ago, one of the racers involved in a crash, broke his collarbone, but tried to continue riding, but after 10 feet, couldn't go on. He got off his bike and just cried along the side of the raod b/c all of his hard work had just gone down the drain. (I honestly partially teared up b/c I understand the many many many hours he put into training for this event and in a 3 sec crash, everything was ruined) That is the kind of rider I have respect for...

I do not know a lot bout the 2 Italians, but if the people saying they just dropped out b/c they weren't doing so well, then they are girls. I am not saying that by crying along side the road, a rider cares more. I am just curious about the emotions of the 2 Italians. (sorry it got a little choppy sentence wise)

Thanks!

For anyone who has actually HAD a broken collar bone, tell everyone how it feels to even TRY to lift their arm up over their head, even after two weeks???

Funny ...... Tyler had the two arm salute after his stage win last year .......

Broken collar bone my azz .............. bruised maybe .......

James Felstead said:
Yeah - and Hamilton rode to fourth with a broken collar bone last year.

Strange isn't it - all three of the Italians looked far from winning a stage - do you reckon this has anything to do with them dropping out? I reckon if they'd have been in contention then they may have battled on. Instead they decided it was all too much for them....ahhh.. bless them....well it has been raining and it's quite cold you know..... :D

refrain of ' you only sing when you're winning'

If they're not schoolgirls then I'd love to know how you would describe them!!!

And while we're at it....there's a hell of a lot of "school girls" who could drop your stupid ass and just keep climbing. Why do you morons always assume that "female" is synonmous with "incompetent"?

Brunswick_kate said:
Why do you morons always assume that "female" is synonmous with "incompetent"?

trust me I don't! It's just a stupid 'schoolground' diss.

I try to avoid any form of generalisation............Italians excepted of course :D (that was a joke by the way.....)