Italian Schoolgirls quit TDF

Cipollini always drops out of the TdF before the mountain stages. He is one hell of a sprinter but never competes in the mountains. I am surprised that he dropped out so early. I wouldn't be surprised that this is his last year.....

Doug

Hey all
This turned out to be quite an interesting post;-
Im smiling cause i won 150 bucks in bets on Petta.. & Chipo...
100 for Chipolini not finishing, and 50 on Petachi (s'cuse spelling) not winning a sprint.
Im inclined to agree with the original poster that neither of them showed any real heart, many riders have fallen hard in this tour and are still going.

The point is this is a different league to Giro & Vuelta tours, and you can't **** like a puppy if you want to run with the big dogs.
Funny that there are riders like Simoni who rode Giro and is still hanging in there.

It's kind of odd that the comparison between them and the likes of poster's on this forum would even be made, since most here are working members of society & not Proffessional sports people.

For the record Hamilton had a fractured coller bone, the x-rays were made public, painfull nonetheless but different to broken collar bone.

I say the verdict is in limbo as to the extent of Pettachi's "broken Rib"
If you saw his interview he was sitting quite comfortably speaking, anyone who's had a broken rib knows how uncomfortable it is to slouch when sitting, let alone straight after the incident do an interview, not impossible but unlikely.....

I have a higher regard for most of the domestiques in the tour than these 2 riders, no matter how good they are or have been.

Let me clarify what I am trying to say, I am not saying that Petacci is as tough a rider as Hamilton, and I do think that it was inspiring to watch Tyler win a stage and take fourth overall last year. The difference is that Petacci and all of the sprinters are in a different race than Hamilton or Armstrong. For the sprinters its about making a quick buck, and possibly getting a stage win or two, the sprints are the sideshow to keep you watching up to the mountains, and with Hamilton or Armstrong its about winning the whole thing. As far as Cipo well he is in the twilight of his career and has already had his glory, I agree with some of the previous posters that we may not see him in the peleton next year. To be a sprinter requires a special kind of mentality (cocky, don't sprint for second, and a crybaby when things don't go your way) at least that is my perception of most pro sprinters be they Italian, German, American, or Australian.

I've read far too many generalisation here and posters stereotyping nationalities.

None of us can truly know how well or how badly a cyclist is feeling at a give point in any stage race.
I also take issue with the statement that the TDF is tougher than the Giro.
It's not tougher than the Giro - in fact the Giro as regards climbing is tougher than the TDF !
So to make sweeping generalisations as to the difficulty of each race is
nonsense.

The Italian teams have traditionally concentrated on the Giro.
Petacchi, Simoni, Cippollini have all completed Giro which were as long and
as hard as the TDF.
So to accuse them of being weak is stupid.
Each of them ride for an Italian team therefore exposure at the TDF
is not a priority compared with the Giro.

If these guys were weak - they wouldn't be professionals.
I've done a fair few miles in my time and I wouldn't like to be up against any of them in a race.

James Felstead said:
Yeah - and Hamilton rode to fourth with a broken collar bone last year.

I'm quite a fan of Tyler myself, but it must be noted that he had a 'cracked, but non-displaced' collarbone. Not exactly 'broken' per se.

As for Petacchi, it was quoted that he'll need at least 3 weeks to recover. So, his broken rib can't be any easier than what befelled Tyler last year. No one has any news details on the extend of his injuries, so, I would say best is to give some slack on that ?? ;)

DarrylZ said:
Hey all
This turned out to be quite an interesting post;-
Im smiling cause i won 150 bucks in bets on Petta.. & Chipo...
100 for Chipolini not finishing, and 50 on Petachi (s'cuse spelling) not winning a sprint.QUOTE]

What jackazz did you bet against? Cipo never finishes the TDF. You're a thief.

I know, if it was'nt that he was a loud mouth wannabee p... i would'nt have taken his money, but could'nt resist it.

D

P.S Limmerick, raised some valid issues, but i think it's actually a case of personal perception, how you view the TDF and Giro, maybe they should'nt be compared. I just think that the Giro is not the ultimate race in terms of global participation, and that some of the stronger teams do miss it for the TDF.

Many of you must have forgotten the bad accident Cipo had in the Giro. If you remember the fall when his teammate swerved and hit his front wheel, he had the pleasure of the guy behind him's big chainring digging about 1/2way through his quad at 60km+. I do forget how many stitches they said he had to have but it was many.

The accident Cipo had at this years tour re-opened the wound. I was dissapointed that he had to withdraw from the tour, but I can't say that I blame him. Would you ride with a 5" long very deep gash in your quad? You can't really say, unless it happens to you. So, STFU. :)

Petacchi is another story. Have you ever broken a rib then try to breathe normally? If so, go break your rib, and then try and ride on your favorite 30 mile club ride. Then remember when you can't do it, that petacchi actually rode 2 more stages of 100 miles+ before he withdrew.

So again, STFU.

Thanks.

Then remember when you can't do it, that petacchi actually rode 2 more stages of 100 miles+ before he withdrew.

So again, STFU.

Mattp
Your quiet a pleasant person on this fine Friday Morning, 4 yre info i raced motocross & offroad enduro's for 11 years, and whilst competing have due to sponsor and self drive riden with some horrendous injuries (far worse than what iv'e heard about here) all that gives me is just some frame of reference. So nobody's stopping you supporting or having an opinion about anything,

Hey maybe Chippo & Pattachi woud let you share their puppy basket....

Have an excellent day.

You can't compare bike racing with motorcycle racing. Next you'll be saying that cipo and pettachi are wimpy because some baseball dude stole 2nd base with a pulled hamstring, a black eye, and a broken finger.

Plz.

DarrylZ said:
I know, if it was'nt that he was a loud mouth wannabee p... i would'nt have taken his money, but could'nt resist it.

D

P.S Limmerick, raised some valid issues, but i think it's actually a case of personal perception, how you view the TDF and Giro, maybe they should'nt be compared. I just think that the Giro is not the ultimate race in terms of global participation, and that some of the stronger teams do miss it for the TDF.

I agree the TDF has more prestige and it does attract every major team
whereas the Giro doesn't.
But as a course profile, the Giro in my humble opinion is as
demanding as a TDF and those who take part in it, certainly aren't wimps.

baseball dude stole 2nd base with a pulled hamstring, a black eye, and a broken finger.

Plz.
Hey Mattp
You seemed to have missed the gis't of my mail, no comparison was made merely the issue of reference to understanding suffering....

Mattp's argument that "if you've never ridden with a broken rib in the TDF then STFU" is ridiculous. What's with the rabid defense of these guys? Cipo has been way off his prime for a while, it's just a fact. His days are past and he should retire.

eddie22 said:
Mattp's argument that "if you've never ridden with a broken rib in the TDF then STFU" is ridiculous. What's with the rabid defense of these guys? Cipo has been way off his prime for a while, it's just a fact. His days are past and he should retire.

I am not defending their performance its just that I am sick of hearing "Lance is too good he must be doping". Cipollini is too old lets **** down his throat and set him on fire. A lot of riders drop out, just because they have had a sucessful career they are highlighted and get crucified as opposed to the unknows that drop.

highlighted and get crucified as opposed to the unknows that drop.[/QUOTE]

Hey Husky
I think you have a valid point, that wether it be in the Giro ,TDF or any of these major races, wether you like a rider or not, one cannot help but respect what they have been able to achieve. I think a bit of my annoyance comes with riders like Chipolini whom has had his day, and is taking up place that could be suited to an upcoming rider who's heart is still in it, i think injuries and all things aside we knew from the start that he would never finish, (again im the supporter of the underdog and i'd rather see an unkown drop trying than a champion that just gives up without a fight)

i think that any rider to even compete in the tours is a strong rider. You don't just need physical strength but also mental strength. So whether you last 3 days or 3 weeks that should not make you any less of a rider, it takes guts to be a pro.