ITALY

Cory Greenberg

Guest
I'm planning a bike trip to Italy this June. I'm thinking of the area around Bologna, Ferrara and
Mantova. I need to stay relatively flat with distances of 20-30 miles per day. I like to eat good
food and drink good wine. Any suggestions?

Cory Greenberg writes:

> I'm planning a bike trip to Italy this June. I'm thinking of the area around Bologna, Ferrara and
> Mantova. I need to stay relatively flat with distances of 20-30 miles per day. I like to eat good
> food and drink good wine. Any suggestions?

You are in the Po valley noted for its flatness. The Piemonte district encircles the western (upper)
end and you'll find many noted cities that you may have heard of that you can reach without climbing
hills. I don't know how you are going to get more than 30 miles from your starting point though.
Cuneo, Torino, and Ivrea are a long way away on the west end of the Lombardia.

The exciting bicycling is in the Alps and Dolomites to the north. There are pictures and stories of
great rides at:

http://tinyurl.com/adls

I suggest turning away from the coast. One good diversion is Padova and the hills around Eugenee-
beautiful cycling area. Bill