ITBS and walking

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Elvisisdead, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Elvisisdead

    Elvisisdead Guest

    I have been diagnosed with ITBS. A little too much, too soon. I learned an important lesson; Run on
    your schedule, not the one your buddy is running. Now I am going mad. I have seen the PT several
    times. I am doing the excercises to strengthen my problem areas, but the excersises exacerbate the
    ITBS. I have to find an alternate form of cardio. Biking and running are out. Swimming or aqua
    running are not feasible. Would walking at a quick pace make my recovery time longer? I have to find
    something.

    Elvis

    Tags:

  2. Johnny Bravo

    Johnny Bravo Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:10:44 -0600, "ElvisIsDead"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have been diagnosed with ITBS. A little too much, too soon. I learned an important lesson; Run on
    >your schedule, not the one your buddy is running. Now I am going mad. I have seen the PT several
    >times. I am doing the excercises to strengthen my problem areas, but the excersises exacerbate the
    >ITBS. I have to find an alternate form of cardio. Biking and running are out. Swimming or aqua
    >running are not feasible. Would walking at a quick pace make my recovery time longer? I have to
    >find something.

    Without any knowledge of your particular ITB injury I'll only mention that my gf has a structural
    defect in her hip (leg is turned inward about 5 degrees) that caused ITB pain at her hip when she
    did a small bit of running with me to see if she liked it. Walking, most of it with a 3-4% incline
    so she could keep her heart rate up without going too fast did the same; she has little or no pain
    when using an eliptical machine.

    I'd suggest you go out and try a short walking session, you should know by the next morning if it
    is aggravating your injury or not. Like many others here will suggest, listen to your body; if it
    hurts, cut back or stop as required. For some more ITB info you can always check out the web.
    http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projects/ITband/ITBFS.html

    --
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all
    its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft