ITBS and walking

Elvisisdead

Guest
I have been diagnosed with ITBS. A little too much, too soon. I learned an important lesson; Run on
your schedule, not the one your buddy is running. Now I am going mad. I have seen the PT several
times. I am doing the excercises to strengthen my problem areas, but the excersises exacerbate the
ITBS. I have to find an alternate form of cardio. Biking and running are out. Swimming or aqua
running are not feasible. Would walking at a quick pace make my recovery time longer? I have to find
something.

Elvis

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:10:44 -0600, "ElvisIsDead"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been diagnosed with ITBS. A little too much, too soon. I learned an important lesson; Run on
>your schedule, not the one your buddy is running. Now I am going mad. I have seen the PT several
>times. I am doing the excercises to strengthen my problem areas, but the excersises exacerbate the
>ITBS. I have to find an alternate form of cardio. Biking and running are out. Swimming or aqua
>running are not feasible. Would walking at a quick pace make my recovery time longer? I have to
>find something.

Without any knowledge of your particular ITB injury I'll only mention that my gf has a structural
defect in her hip (leg is turned inward about 5 degrees) that caused ITB pain at her hip when she
did a small bit of running with me to see if she liked it. Walking, most of it with a 3-4% incline
so she could keep her heart rate up without going too fast did the same; she has little or no pain
when using an eliptical machine.

I'd suggest you go out and try a short walking session, you should know by the next morning if it
is aggravating your injury or not. Like many others here will suggest, listen to your body; if it
hurts, cut back or stop as required. For some more ITB info you can always check out the web.
http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projects/ITband/ITBFS.html

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all
its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft