Items in the Italian Magistrate's list.

Kyle Legate

Guest
Lots of caffeine (watch those pound bags of coffee in your suitcase), Frigo accused of possessing
testosterone and GH (but he only had it for
psychological reasons--that is, if it isn't just water), some corticosteroids for those nagging
saddle sores, but there are a couple of substances I consider a surprise:

Mannitol--can be used as a diruretic, possibly for rapid elimination of doping products, but no
other doping products found aside from the mannitol. Coupled with the normal racing-induced
dehydration, this could be quite dangerous.

ACTH--a pituitary hormone, stimulates the release of cortisol from the adrenal glands. Naturally
released by stress (like the Giro doesn't provide enough stress), its direct administration
overrides the usual negative feedback mechanism provided by cortisol to the hypothalamus. What a
stupid thing to do. Release of cortisol favours fatty acid metabolism over glucose metabolism, which
may provide benefit, but it also stimulates the breakdown of muscle into fatty acids, to be made
into glucose by the liver. Both accused holders of ACTH were also found with insulin, possibly in an
attempt to minimize muscle breakdown.

Charging the guys who have caffeine is total ********, unless they were in possession of it
illegally. Caffeine is allowed under the UCI's rules.

The guys who had the HGH, steroids and other **** should be dealt with appropriately, but I've
always thought that this case was mostly about generating publicity more than anything else.

news:[email protected]...

"trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Charging the guys who have caffeine is total ********, unless they were in possession of it
> illegally. Caffeine is allowed under the UCI's rules.

I agree, the caffeine charges will get thrown out, and I'll bet most of the corticosteroid cases are
probably ass cream for saddle sores. I also think you're right about the publicity angle--hell, a
mechanic is being called for caffeine. I'd have to be jacked up too, if I had to prepare a whole
team's bikes for tomorrow morning's race while the rest of the town sleeps.