Items in the Italian Magistrate's list.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kyle Legate, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Lots of caffeine (watch those pound bags of coffee in your suitcase), Frigo accused of possessing
    testosterone and GH (but he only had it for
    psychological reasons--that is, if it isn't just water), some corticosteroids for those nagging
    saddle sores, but there are a couple of substances I consider a surprise:

    Mannitol--can be used as a diruretic, possibly for rapid elimination of doping products, but no
    other doping products found aside from the mannitol. Coupled with the normal racing-induced
    dehydration, this could be quite dangerous.

    ACTH--a pituitary hormone, stimulates the release of cortisol from the adrenal glands. Naturally
    released by stress (like the Giro doesn't provide enough stress), its direct administration
    overrides the usual negative feedback mechanism provided by cortisol to the hypothalamus. What a
    stupid thing to do. Release of cortisol favours fatty acid metabolism over glucose metabolism, which
    may provide benefit, but it also stimulates the breakdown of muscle into fatty acids, to be made
    into glucose by the liver. Both accused holders of ACTH were also found with insulin, possibly in an
    attempt to minimize muscle breakdown.

    Tags:

  2. Trdina

    Trdina Guest

    Charging the guys who have caffeine is total bullshit, unless they were in possession of it
    illegally. Caffeine is allowed under the UCI's rules.

    The guys who had the HGH, steroids and other crap should be dealt with appropriately, but I've
    always thought that this case was mostly about generating publicity more than anything else.

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lots of caffeine (watch those pound bags of coffee in your suitcase),
    Frigo
    > accused of possessing testosterone and GH (but he only had it for
    > psychological reasons--that is, if it isn't just water), some corticosteroids for those nagging
    > saddle sores, but there are a couple of substances I consider a surprise:
    >
    > Mannitol--can be used as a diruretic, possibly for rapid elimination of doping products, but no
    > other doping products found aside from the
    mannitol.
    > Coupled with the normal racing-induced dehydration, this could be quite dangerous.
    >
    > ACTH--a pituitary hormone, stimulates the release of cortisol from the adrenal glands. Naturally
    > released by stress (like the Giro doesn't
    provide
    > enough stress), its direct administration overrides the usual negative feedback mechanism provided
    > by cortisol to the hypothalamus. What a stupid thing to do. Release of cortisol favours fatty acid
    > metabolism over
    glucose
    > metabolism, which may provide benefit, but it also stimulates the
    breakdown
    > of muscle into fatty acids, to be made into glucose by the liver. Both accused holders of ACTH
    > were also found with insulin, possibly in an
    attempt
    > to minimize muscle breakdown.

  3. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    "trdina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Charging the guys who have caffeine is total bullshit, unless they were in possession of it
    > illegally. Caffeine is allowed under the UCI's rules.

    I agree, the caffeine charges will get thrown out, and I'll bet most of the corticosteroid cases are
    probably ass cream for saddle sores. I also think you're right about the publicity angle--hell, a
    mechanic is being called for caffeine. I'd have to be jacked up too, if I had to prepare a whole
    team's bikes for tomorrow morning's race while the rest of the town sleeps.