Ithought it was a tall tale until I saw this.......

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon levy, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how unusual
    they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a go
    on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    disprove his claims and came up with this...

    http://www.citynoise.org/article/917

    apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and they
    can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders

    Anthing odder out there?.
     
    Tags:


  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how
    > unusual they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he
    > was given a go on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search
    > of the Internet to disprove his claims and came up with this...


    > http://www.citynoise.org/article/917


    > apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before
    > and they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the
    > two riders


    > Anthing odder out there?.


    I want one - anyone know if they are available in the UK or will I
    have to build my own ?

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net
     
  3. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:51:56 +0000, Sandy Morton wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,


    >> apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and
    >> they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders

    >
    > I want one - anyone know if they are available in the UK or will I have to
    > build my own ?


    Peter Ross might still be building his Sociable Trike. I've seen one
    only a couple of years ago in East Cambs. The excellent folks at I.C.E.
    would know 'cos they did the welding for the last years of Ross production.


    Mike
     
  4. MatSav

    MatSav Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:15:02 +0000 (UTC), "vernon levy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how unusual
    >they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a go
    >on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    >disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >
    >http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >
    >apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and they
    >can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders
    >


    The link gives a blank page, as does trying to go up the tree two
    branches. However, I do know that sociable tandems are used for
    companion cycling with blind people in Bushy Park (South West London).

    --
    MatSav
     
  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, vernon
    levy ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how
    > unusual
    > they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a
    > go
    > on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    > disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >
    > http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >
    > apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and
    > they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders


    I've seen side-by-side tricycle tandems, but that's the first
    side-by-side bicycle tandem I've seen. Very interesting - I'd _love_ to
    give it a try!

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
    ;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18
     
  6. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest


    > The link gives a blank page, as does trying to go up the tree two
    > branches. However, I do know that sociable tandems are used for
    > companion cycling with blind people in Bushy Park (South West London).
    >

    The link works on my computers and I believe also on Sandy Morton's
     
  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  9. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:15:02 +0000 (UTC), "vernon levy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how unusual
    >they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a go
    >on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    >disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >
    >http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >
    >apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and they
    >can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders
    >

    A possible pedant writes:

    I believe it should be called a sociable, not a sociable tandem.
    Tandem implies the riders in line astern. See also "Black Beauty"
    where horses are driven in tandem (one behind the other) or as a pair
    (next to each other).



    Tim
     
  10. p.k.

    p.k. Guest

    Sandy Morton wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how
    >> unusual they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he
    >> was given a go on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search
    >> of the Internet to disprove his claims and came up with this...

    >
    >> http://www.citynoise.org/article/917

    >
    >> apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before
    >> and they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the
    >> two riders

    >
    >> Anthing odder out there?.

    >
    > I want one - anyone know if they are available in the UK or will I
    > have to build my own ?


    saw one at a cycle hire shop in the New forest a few years ago.

    pk
     
  11. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The link works on my computers and I believe also on Sandy Morton's


    Yep - and mine is steam powered:))

    --
    T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !
     
  12. John_Kane

    John_Kane Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, vernon
    > levy ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how
    > > unusual
    > > they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a
    > > go
    > > on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    > > disprove his claims and came up with this...
    > >
    > > http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    > >
    > > apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and
    > > they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders

    >
    > I've seen side-by-side tricycle tandems, but that's the first
    > side-by-side bicycle tandem I've seen. Very interesting - I'd _love_ to
    > give it a try!
    >

    There used to be a bike rental place in Ottawa Ontario that rented one
    but I never saw anyone on it. I have read that the song about A
    bicycle built for two" may have been about a sociable rather than a
    conventional tandem
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
     
  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:

    > Peter Ross might still be building his Sociable Trike. I've seen one
    > only a couple of years ago in East Cambs. The excellent folks at I.C.E.
    > would know 'cos they did the welding for the last years of Ross production.


    IIRC he isn't, but someone has bought the design and is producing it.
    It's certainly advertised in Velo Vision, along with at least one other
    sociable on a regular basis.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  14. Mike Causer wrote:
    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:51:56 +0000, Sandy Morton wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,

    >
    >>> apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and
    >>> they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders

    >>
    >> I want one - anyone know if they are available in the UK or will I have to
    >> build my own ?

    >
    >Peter Ross might still be building his Sociable Trike.


    A trike doesn't have the same "but how does it balance" factor.
    Apparently they are even ridable with only one rider. I expect we all
    know that a bike is ridable with just one pannier heavily loaded, but
    it's still surprising it can be taken to such extremes.

    (And for pedants, they are sociables and not tandems, one meaning
    of tandem being "arranged one behind the other".)
     
  15. Roger Thorpe

    Roger Thorpe Guest

    vernon levy wrote:
    > As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how unusual
    > they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a go
    > on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    > disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >
    > http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >
    > apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and they
    > can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders
    >
    > Anthing odder out there?.
    >
    >

    Maybe not odder, but just as odd. Someone somewhere in the uk once made
    a racing tandem where the front rider was reversed - for aerodynamic
    reasons. I can't find any confirmation of this on the Wibbly Wobbly Web,
    so it might just have been all a dream.....

    Roger

    --
    Roger Thorpe

    My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!
     
  16. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    MatSav <m a t t h e w D O T s a v a g e A T d s l D O T p i p e x D
    OT c o m> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:15:02 +0000 (UTC), "vernon levy"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how unusual
    >>they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he was given a go
    >>on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of the Internet to
    >>disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >>
    >>http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >>
    >>apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before and they
    >>can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two riders
    >>

    >
    >The link gives a blank page, as does trying to go up the tree two
    >branches. However, I do know that sociable tandems are used for
    >companion cycling with blind people in Bushy Park (South West London).


    Some pictures of one in use, some with very different weights on
    either side, here http://home.vicnet.net.au/~tandem/gallery03.htm

    Try this old postcard
    http://bikekulture.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?itemlist=&search=Calendars&start=28

    Going on a couple gets you to a women's track race
    http://bikekulture.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?itemlist=&search=Calendars&start=30

    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
     
  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Roger Thorpe wrote:

    > Maybe not odder, but just as odd. Someone somewhere in the uk once made
    > a racing tandem where the front rider was reversed - for aerodynamic
    > reasons. I can't find any confirmation of this on the Wibbly Wobbly Web,
    > so it might just have been all a dream.....


    Europe's fastest HPV-ist (200m flying start) lies on his mount facing
    upwards head first, seeing the way through a mirror. Again for
    aerodynamic reasons.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  18. John B

    John B Guest

    Roger Thorpe wrote:

    >
    > Maybe not odder, but just as odd. Someone somewhere in the uk once made
    > a racing tandem where the front rider was reversed - for aerodynamic
    > reasons. I can't find any confirmation of this on the Wibbly Wobbly Web,
    > so it might just have been all a dream.....


    It was not a dream.

    It certainly existed for a very short time sometime in the mid 70s early 80s
    before being banned, and appeared at at least one local Hampshire time trial.
    It was ridden by none other than Glen Longland and Neville Stroud, prolific
    winners of tandem events.
    ISTR that Glen was at the back and had to look over his partner's head to see
    where he was going.
    I can't begin to imagine the feeling of being propelled backwards, bum first at
    30mph on the front of a tandem.
    Completely crazy.

    John B
     
  19. Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:


    > Peter Ross might still be building his Sociable Trike. I've seen one
    > only a couple of years ago in East Cambs. The excellent folks at
    > I.C.E. would know 'cos they did the welding for the last years of
    > Ross production.


    Peter isn't, but the Gem design has been taken over by Toucan Engineering of
    Guisborough. See here:

    URL:http://www.2cancycle.co.uk/

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Never tie your shoelaces in a revolving door.
     
  20. vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As I quizzed a colleague about Baines Flying Gate frames and how
    > unusual they were. He told me about a side by side tandem that he
    > was given a go on. As he is fond of a joke, I did a quick search of
    > the Internet to disprove his claims and came up with this...
    >
    > http://www.citynoise.org/article/917
    >
    > apparently they are called sociable tandems. Never seen one before
    > and they can cope with the imbalance between body weights of the two
    > riders
    > Anthing odder out there?.


    I have encountered a device yclept the "Broad Bean", this being a sociable
    long wheelbase recumbent bicycle. I did not attempt to ride it myself, but
    did see a Several of my chums so doing. This was in Abbey Park, Leicester,
    some time in the early to mid-nineties. It may have been the same year that
    Richard Grigsby managed to lock Peter Ross' car keys inside the latter's
    motorcar...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    It is impossible to eat a banana without looking like a tw*t.
     
Loading...
Loading...