ITM seat post broke

richard

Guest
Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.

What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
with?

R.

Photographic evidence here -> http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

richard wrote:
> Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.

What did break?

> What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> with?

I vote for Thomson Elite.

Lou

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On 13 Mar, 22:22, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> richard wrote:
> > Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> > lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> > I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.

> What did break?
>

> > What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> > with?

> I vote for Thomson Elite.
>
> Lou
>
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

The "seat mounting bit" became unstuck from the "seat post tube bit".
The photos linked above show the damage.
R.

"richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On 13 Mar, 22:22, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> richard wrote:
> > Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> > lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> > I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.

> What did break?
>

> > What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> > with?

> I vote for Thomson Elite.
>
> Lou
>
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

The "seat mounting bit" became unstuck from the "seat post tube bit".
The photos linked above show the damage.
R.

Ah I missed that. A Thomson post is the solution for that problem for sure
because it's milled from one piece of aluminium.

Lou

On Mar 13, 2:36 pm, "richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.
>
> What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> with?
>
> R.
>
> Photographic evidence here ->http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

Thompson or Ritchey.

On Mar 13, 2:36 pm, "richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.
>
> What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> with?
>
> R.
>
> Photographic evidence here ->http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
idea. Add those 20-30 grams to something and geee, it does add up, to
maybe a pound or two..on a 200 pound rider and bike package-reality,
what a concept.

On Mar 15, 8:49 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> idea.

I like that. Short, simple and practical - an excellent rule!

But I doubt that Buycycling magazine is going to use it as a
headline. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2:36 pm, "richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> > lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> > I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.
> >
> > What's the best post (well best post around £50/$90) to replace it
> > with?
> >
> > R.
> >
> > Photographic evidence here ->http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

> I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> idea. Add those 20-30 grams to something and geee, it does add up, to
> maybe a pound or two..on a 200 pound rider and bike package-reality,
> what a concept.

Another aspect of the weight limit:
how do you know they got it right?

On Mar 15, 4:50 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> > idea. Add those 20-30 grams to something and geee, it does add up, to
> > maybe a pound or two..on a 200 pound rider and bike package-reality,
> > what a concept.

> Another aspect of the weight limit:
> how do you know they got it right?

They feed me one Burrito Boyz small steak with guac at a time, have me
take the part for a spin up Adelaide Street and back on Richmond, and
repeat until it breaks. Then they weigh me and add 50gm for every 100
cm^2 of bloodstains on the pavement.

It's a living.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2:36 pm, "richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
>> lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
>> I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.
>>
>> What's the best post (well best post around �50/$90) to replace it
>> with?
>>
>> R.
>>
>> Photographic evidence here ->http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

> I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> idea.

i don't agree. cheap unreliable **** has no weight limit, but it's
still cheap unreliable ****. stuff with a weight limit does at least
have some lifetime expectation associated with it. if you want to avoid
approaching the limit and have a rule of thumb, go for the componentry
that's one step down from the stuff with the weight limit. and /still/
have a program of regular inspection and periodic replacement on vital
stuff like bars and stems.

> Add those 20-30 grams to something and geee, it does add up, to
> maybe a pound or two..on a 200 pound rider and bike package-reality,
> what a concept.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Brian Huntley" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 4:50 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> > > idea. Add those 20-30 grams to something and geee, it does add up, to
> > > maybe a pound or two..on a 200 pound rider and bike package-reality,
> > > what a concept.

> > Another aspect of the weight limit:
> > how do you know they got it right?

> They feed me one Burrito Boyz small steak with guac at a time, have me
> take the part for a spin up Adelaide Street and back on Richmond, and
> repeat until it breaks. Then they weigh me and add 50gm for every 100
> cm^2 of bloodstains on the pavement.
>
> It's a living.

Bless you, taking one for the team.
--
Michael Press

jim beam wrote:

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> > I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> > idea.

> i don't agree. cheap unreliable **** has no weight limit, but it's
> still cheap unreliable ****. stuff with a weight limit does at least
> have some lifetime expectation associated with it.

Come to think of it, Worksman trikes have a (450 lb.) weight limit,
and they seem to last a really long time. ;^)

Chalo

On Mar 15, 9:06 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > On Mar 13, 2:36 pm, "richard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Anyone else had their ITM Forged Lite Alu Carbon seat post break
> >> lately? I've heard fat people moaning about 70kg limits - I'd thought
> >> I might be safe - I weigh 74kg - but evidently not.

> >> What's the best post (well best post around ?50/$90) to replace it
> >> with?

> >> R.

> >> Photographic evidence here ->http://lbrc.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=15

> > I think any bike part that has rider weight limit is probably a bad
> > idea.

> i don't agree. cheap unreliable **** has no weight limit, but it's
> still cheap unreliable ****.

Kalloy Uno seatpost, cheap, reliable '****'...that maybe weighs 50