ITM Uniko/K-sword?

Randman

Jun 8, 2006
I'm looking for any advice regarding the Uniko/K-sword style of stem/bar and seatpost from ITM. My local BS mentioned concern that the stem may begin to creak long-term. Anyone around with some experience with these components? Thanks for any thoughts....

I never really understood the point of the Uniko or K-Sword stuff. They cost twice as much (at least) and weigh more. Okay, so they look pretty, but is there any other benefit? After plenty of experience with carbon cockpits, I've switched back to aluminum permanently. The lightest stems are aluminum, and plenty stong/stiff. A good aluminum bar (Deda Newton, Ritchey WCS, etc) will come in close to the weight of the lightest carbon bars, at half the price.

That said, I have an incredible carbon stem and carbon bars for sale. Waaaay better than aluminum. Any takers? :D

I have the Ksword bar/stem combo. I love them. They are extremely comfortable & look great.

Properly torqued you shouldn't have any creaking. I've had mine fore 2 seasons now & not a single creak.

Hear, hear. Composit is not to be treated like metal, read the tech stuff do what the manufacturer says, it'll be fine.
remdog said:
I have the Ksword bar/stem combo. I love them. They are extremely comfortable & look great.

Properly torqued you shouldn't have any creaking. I've had mine fore 2 seasons now & not a single creak.

remdog said:

Long day in the saddle today. Hands still stinging from my aluminum cockpit. Maybe it's time to look at the K-Sword myself. It would look sweet on my Pinarello too....:rolleyes:

i had the ITM combo for a while but i found unless you realy jacked up the torque on the wedge system they use to secure the bars then they would slip if i went through a pothole for example.

they were very light though and got lots of attention.

now running with Deda Forza + Spectrum, all carbon.

I have the K sword handlebars with an ITM aluminum stem. It is a comfy set up, no noise, no numbness, little flex. I have been racing this rig for two years with no complaints. The added wieght is because of the ergo shape. You could get lighter bars, but they'd not be as comfy. I opt for comfort over wieght, within reason of course.
friedmikey said:
I guess nobody's going to explain the costs-more-weighs-more thing to me?