It's A Wisconsin Thing. Yeah, You Betcha!

slovakguy

Mar 17, 2006
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/steven-gove-cyclist-lodged-windshield_n_4638822.html

this driver had to have been in some state of shock. at least the cyclist had the good manners to greet his host politely.

Hey know... I take offense to that yooper-slang you used in the title, der hey! Not all of us in 'Sconsin talk like dat, yah know!
tongue.png

Anyway, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that article. I think you've got to be stoned or insanely drunk to keep driving after you hit someone. That's just crazy.

I'm new to this forum and at 66 just got back into bikes after a 50 year hiatus.After pedaling around it ain't the same as when I was a kid (in NYC of all places). With cell phones,texting etc etc people are much more distracted. You really can't do two things at once properly. Also, people are not as courteous. They are all looking to beat the light or make that turn before letting you proceed. Every time I come to an intersection or a vehicle crossing a sidewalk I see the driver on the phone. No one makes eye contact. I'm thinking "Do they see me?" It's a little unnerving but I gotta get used to it. Just my 2c.

Yeah, the part where motorists seem to think of us a chipmunks to squish with their tires is kinda a bummer. The part about you getting back into it at 66 is just awesome. Beware, it is completely addictive. I got back into it Sept 2012, after a 20 year hiatus, and it has been a Godsend. Saved my sanity, improved my health after a serious bout with some nasty stuff in my bloodstream and bone marrow. So, I went from my 20 year old Cannondale to now owning 6 great bikes. Yes, I may have gone overboard, but I am in heaven with this sport. I'm so crazy I bought a fat bike and ride out in the cold and snow every chance I get. You will be shocked at what this does for you if you pursue it. My first ride was 1.68 miles and I thought I was going to die. By last summer, I was doing near-Century rides, my longest was 87 miles round trip. I think the mental benefit is better than the physical benefit, and that is extremely substantial. To ride is pure freedom, a chance to set aside my problems for hours at a time. I just joined a beginning triathlon team at my gym, and I am completely psyched to get back on the road on my new road bike. Finally, we have a facebook group going for the tri-team, in 4 days I found 3 willing riding partners to train with me, something I have wanted since last year but never could hook up with anyone.

Dude, go for it, it will rock !

thumbs up on the mental benefits point. certainly is an aspect i appreciate. scenery going by in a blur, focus on the road ahead, the sizzle of the tyres on the asphalt, the silence of a dialed in drive train... looking forward to the weather giving us an early spring break.

It's your money. Do what makes you healthy and happy. At first I was just looking for a way to get around if my wife happened to be using the car. After a few rides to get familiar with it again it brought back most of the memories of biking as a kid. My bike and then a car gave me a euphoric feeling of freedom. Not having to rely on someone to take you places.

Motownbikeboy: How is Detroit these days? News from the media is not good.I don't think it has ever really recovered over the last several decades.I worked for Volkswagen of Am when they were in NJ. Then in 83 they decided to move to the Detroit area. I passed. Probably a bad career move but we had a lot of family in NY/NJ metro area at the time.

Detroit proper is the mess politically and economically that it has been for decades. But, the auto industry roared back, leaner but more efficient. The new vehicles coming out are incredible. Most people think the whole region is a hellhole, but out here the burbs are a great place to live. A lot of wealth, amenities, things to do. Our weather sucks, but I love it here.