It's amazing how many thoughts can go through your head in 1/4 of a second...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Djarvinen, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.

    After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head in
    a mere split second.

    I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    this line?!"

    (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop

    "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"

    "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"

    Both hands hit ground simultaneously followed by hip and shoulder. Pain shoots through both wrists
    and thigh.

    "Damn that's gonna hurt later!"

    ((end 1/4 second RR))

    I lay there a few moments, catching my breath, and slowly checking for good motor control in all my
    limbs. Didn't bother looking for blood; I knew there would be some. Not too bad; crunched wrists,
    large bruise-to-be in upper right thigh, ugly rock bang on left shin. Bike seemed OK but later I
    noticed a little wheel wobble when I got on pavement, but not bad.

    So I got up, drank some PowerAde, and pushed my bike until I got some confidence back. Well, at
    least until I stopped shaking, anyway.

    Which brings me to our pop quiz:

    Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':

    A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    E. Hey, this looks like fun!

    Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)

    DJ

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 4 Aug 2003 12:02:39 -0700, [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote:

    >I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    >
    >After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head in
    >a mere split second.
    >
    >I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    >about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    >this line?!"
    >
    >(begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    >
    >"Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    >
    >"Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"
    >
    >Both hands hit ground simultaneously followed by hip and shoulder. Pain shoots through both wrists
    >and thigh.
    >
    >"Damn that's gonna hurt later!"
    >
    >((end 1/4 second RR))
    >
    >I lay there a few moments, catching my breath, and slowly checking for good motor control in all my
    >limbs. Didn't bother looking for blood; I knew there would be some. Not too bad; crunched wrists,
    >large bruise-to-be in upper right thigh, ugly rock bang on left shin. Bike seemed OK but later I
    >noticed a little wheel wobble when I got on pavement, but not bad.
    >
    >So I got up, drank some PowerAde, and pushed my bike until I got some confidence back. Well, at
    >least until I stopped shaking, anyway.
    >
    >Which brings me to our pop quiz:
    >
    >Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    >A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    >B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    >C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    >D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    >E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    >
    >Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    >'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    >
    >DJ

    Nice RR....been there many times.

    Heal fast, Bill

    :-]

  3. djarvinen wrote:

    <snip 1/4 second RR>

    You know, I had a very similarly rememberable 1/4 second only yesterday. Whilst downhilling a
    singletrack of loose rocks (sorta the size of two fists and upwards), I got a little target fixation
    on this one particular lump of mother nature's finest. For some reason when the front wheel hit it,
    the whole bike stopped dead. That's when the 1/4 second started, my line of downhill attack then
    instantly switched to a line of trajectory.

    The 1/4 second ended with me in a heap in the flora and fauna to the left hand side of the trail. So
    many things went through my head in that time frame. You know the standard stuff:

    How's the bike?; I'm glad I'm not going to land on the track; I hope I don't land on that tree; I
    hope I can keep my wrists away from the impact; I hope this is going to be soft; Maybe this helmet
    wasn't such a bad idea;

    Fortunately I got away with it to try again another day!

    --
    Dnc

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    >
    > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head
    > in a mere split second.
    >
    > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    > about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    > this line?!"
    >
    > (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    >
    > "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    >
    > "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"

    <snippage>

    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    >
    > Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    > 'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    >
    > DJ

    So where'd ya biff it, Dick??

    If yer an early riser, you can join my easy group ride at 645am Weds at Camelsback Park. Got a
    couple riders that are guaranteed to make you look good.

    Paladin

  5. jarvinen says:

    >Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    >A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    >B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    >C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    >D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    >E. Hey, this looks like fun!

    I'll start with "E", but then usually finish up with "B" or "D".

    "E" is more accurate, though. ;-)

    Steve

  6. Gazoo

    Gazoo Guest

    nope, it's

    don't crach....don't crash...don't crash .........

    over and over and over again

    --

    "djarvinen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    >
    > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head
    > in a mere split second.
    >
    > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    > about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    > this line?!"
    >
    > (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    >
    > "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    >
    > "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"
    >
    > Both hands hit ground simultaneously followed by hip and shoulder. Pain shoots through both wrists
    > and thigh.
    >
    > "Damn that's gonna hurt later!"
    >
    > ((end 1/4 second RR))
    >
    > I lay there a few moments, catching my breath, and slowly checking for good motor control in all
    > my limbs. Didn't bother looking for blood; I knew there would be some. Not too bad; crunched
    > wrists, large bruise-to-be in upper right thigh, ugly rock bang on left shin. Bike seemed OK but
    > later I noticed a little wheel wobble when I got on pavement, but not bad.
    >
    > So I got up, drank some PowerAde, and pushed my bike until I got some confidence back. Well, at
    > least until I stopped shaking, anyway.
    >
    > Which brings me to our pop quiz:
    >
    > Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    >
    > Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    > 'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    >
    > DJ

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "djarvinen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    <snip 1/4 sec crunch report>

    LOL! Yep. That's what it's like. My last major 1/4 second was about 8 months (that's a bit over
    85 million
    1/4 seconds ) ago. And my good ol' Doc tells me this week to have an operation to fix the on-going
    problems - again.

    BTW, I choose 'B'. :)
    --
    Westie

  8. My last experience at over the handlebars...one moment I was on the bike the next I was lying along
    side the trail with the wind knocked out of me. Did not remembering what I did wrong or anything
    about the accident. My riding buddies told me that I flipped nicely after about ten feet in the
    air..got my head down and landed on the back of my helmet and left shoulder then rolled three times.
    I stay in "B" mode allot and live to ride another day.

    "djarvinen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    >
    > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head
    > in a mere split second.
    >
    > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    > about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    > this line?!"
    >
    > (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    >
    > "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    >
    > "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"
    >
    > Both hands hit ground simultaneously followed by hip and shoulder. Pain shoots through both wrists
    > and thigh.
    >
    > "Damn that's gonna hurt later!"
    >
    > ((end 1/4 second RR))
    >
    > I lay there a few moments, catching my breath, and slowly checking for good motor control in all
    > my limbs. Didn't bother looking for blood; I knew there would be some. Not too bad; crunched
    > wrists, large bruise-to-be in upper right thigh, ugly rock bang on left shin. Bike seemed OK but
    > later I noticed a little wheel wobble when I got on pavement, but not bad.
    >
    > So I got up, drank some PowerAde, and pushed my bike until I got some confidence back. Well, at
    > least until I stopped shaking, anyway.
    >
    > Which brings me to our pop quiz:
    >
    > Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    >
    > Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    > 'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    >
    > DJ

  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    djarvinen wrote:
    > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    >
    > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head
    > in a mere split second.
    >
    > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    > about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    > this line?!"
    >
    > (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    >
    > "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    >
    > "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"
    >
    > Both hands hit ground simultaneously followed by hip and shoulder. Pain shoots through both wrists
    > and thigh.
    >
    > "Damn that's gonna hurt later!"
    >
    > ((end 1/4 second RR))
    >
    > I lay there a few moments, catching my breath, and slowly checking for good motor control in all
    > my limbs. Didn't bother looking for blood; I knew there would be some. Not too bad; crunched
    > wrists, large bruise-to-be in upper right thigh, ugly rock bang on left shin. Bike seemed OK but
    > later I noticed a little wheel wobble when I got on pavement, but not bad.
    >
    > So I got up, drank some PowerAde, and pushed my bike until I got some confidence back. Well, at
    > least until I stopped shaking, anyway.
    >
    > Which brings me to our pop quiz:
    >
    > Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    >
    > Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    > 'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    >
    > DJ

    You forgot
    F. O F%ck I'm Gonna Die! Followed by E. :) Actually sometimes I try to invoke B. (40 next month,
    yikes!), but my mind tends to reject that pretty quickly. Another thing about crashing that
    amazes me is how well I remember that
    1/4 second years later. Point to a scar, and hear the extended story. I suppose to be serious G.
    would be something like "I know this can be done and I can do it, and here's how" Then I visualize
    how I'm going to do it. Or some motivational crap like that. Sometimes the visualizing part ends
    in stitches (not from laughing) and that's when I whimp out :)

    Cheers, Shawn

  10. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:38:19 -0700, Dean A. Stepper wrote:
    > My last experience at over the handlebars...one moment I was on the bike the next I was lying
    > along side the trail with the wind knocked out of me. Did not remembering what I did wrong or
    > anything about the accident.

    That seems to be how mine go, too. One moment I'm riding along at a good clip, the next I'm lying on
    the ground in various amounts of pain!

  11. Do any of you get so tired while riding, that when you hit some sand or start to go down, you just
    sorta flop down with the bike? It's so much nicer when you're on the ground, even if the bike IS on
    top of you.

    BTW, this probably applies more during a race.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. Djarvinen

    Djarvinen Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    > >
    > > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my head
    > > in a mere split second.
    > >
    > > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky, only
    > > about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I taking
    > > this line?!"
    > >
    > > (begin 1/4 second RR) "Oh damn, deep rut, damn, bad rock" *crunch* followed by quick stop
    > >
    > > "Oh-oh, going over... but at least to the right and not over bars"
    > >
    > > "Impact! Hands out! Oh-no, right foot didn't unclip, here comes bike with me"
    >
    > <snippage>
    > >
    > > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > > E. Hey, this looks like fun!
    > >
    > > Trust me, I didn't pick 'E.' today. It was more like A and B. Arghh... guess some days are just
    > > 'bad'. Oh well, tomorrow looks promising. :)
    > >
    > > DJ
    >
    > So where'd ya biff it, Dick??
    >
    > If yer an early riser, you can join my easy group ride at 645am Weds at Camelsback Park. Got a
    > couple riders that are guaranteed to make you look good.
    >
    > Paladin

    It was on the Old Oregon trail route. I started from the now defunct Oregon Trail parking
    lot/meditation center/whatever (just a parking lot now) right above the Highway 55 bridge. It really
    is a beginner/intermediate trail except for that one downhill into the valley. Normally it doesn't
    bug me too much but for some reason, today I was just 'nervous' about it. Damn death cookies
    everywhere.

    And to add insult to injury, I just found out I picked up some poison oak along the way; no
    idea where. And the bang on the shin turned out to be minor but I now have a shiny new shoulder
    where I hit. :)

    6:45am? Uh... uh... that's about two hours two early for me :) but at least you catch the nice cool
    morning weather. And I'm not sure I'm in any shape to make anyone look good. I spend a lot of time
    pushing my bike up the steeper hills. I really need to carry an oxygen tank. They couldn't weigh
    that much. :)

    DJ

  13. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do any of you get so tired while riding, that when you hit some sand or start to go down, you just
    > sorta flop down with the bike? It's so much nicer when you're on the ground, even if the bike IS
    > on top of you.
    >
    > BTW, this probably applies more during a race.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Never on a mountain bike, but that pretty much sums up my telemarking last week.

    Rob

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Do any of you get so tired while riding, that when you hit some sand or start to go down, you
    > > just sorta flop down with the bike? It's so much nicer when you're on the ground, even if the
    > > bike IS on top of you.
    > >
    > > BTW, this probably applies more during a race.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phil, Squid-in-Training
    > >

    > Never on a mountain bike, but that pretty much sums up my telemarking last
    week.

    > Rob

    Man I'm so sick of telemarkers calling all the time!

    Mike

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (djarvinen) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I guess this is a 'mini'-RR, covering only about 10 feet of my latest ride.
    > > >
    > > > After I recovered, I was quite astonished to remember how many thoughts had gone through my
    > > > head in a mere split second.
    > > >
    > > > I was heading down this rather nasty, rocky and steep downhill today (nice day, clear sky,
    > > > only about 80 degrees, and only a wisp of a breeze) when all of a sudden, I thought "Why am I
    > > > taking this line?!"
    > > >
    > > > (begin 1/4 second RR)
    > > >
    > > > DJ
    > >
    > > So where'd ya biff it, Dick??
    > >
    > > If yer an early riser, you can join my easy group ride at 645am Weds at Camelsback Park. Got a
    > > couple riders that are guaranteed to make you look good.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > It was on the Old Oregon trail route. I started from the now defunct Oregon Trail parking
    > lot/meditation center/whatever (just a parking lot now) right above the Highway 55 bridge. It
    > really is a beginner/intermediate trail except for that one downhill into the valley. Normally it
    > doesn't bug me too much but for some reason, today I was just 'nervous' about it. Damn death
    > cookies everywhere.
    >
    > And to add insult to injury, I just found out I picked up some poison oak along the way; no idea
    > where. And the bang on the shin turned out to be minor but I now have a shiny new shoulder where
    > I hit. :)
    >
    > 6:45am? Uh... uh... that's about two hours two early for me :) but at least you catch the nice
    > cool morning weather. And I'm not sure I'm in any shape to make anyone look good. I spend a lot
    > of time pushing my bike up the steeper hills. I really need to carry an oxygen tank. They
    > couldn't weigh that much. :)
    >
    > DJ

    Hope ya heal up, quick. I might bring our group over your way, as we've exhausted most of the
    close-in stuff, and I try to go somewhere different every week.

    You'd love a guy in our group I'll call dhg, for downhill geek. He walks a lot of the hills up, but
    blasts down them. He has every excuse in the book for why he has to stop on hills. It's really
    pretty funny. Then we have a brand new rider named Patrick, who's borrowing (and beating up a
    little), my geared bike, who tries hard, but just doesn't have the fitness base down yet. Add to
    that mix an intermediate rider girl, 2 expert class racers (good friends, but I'm a little surprised
    they want to ride this easy stuff with the group) and me on the singlespeed, and you've got a neat
    mix. I normally set it up for the top riders to keep going up if they want, when we turn down.

    Anyway, glad to see you're out riding, and hope you get better quick.

    Paladin

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    who's idea was this anyway? Ok, I can do this don't think, just go ohohohohohcrapcrapcrapshit...wow,
    did it! do not grab brakes

  17. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!

    For me it's not a multiple choice option. It's TRUE or FALSE. If I'm "feeling it" I'll take a risk,
    if I'm not, I'll walk it... but vow to ride it another day.

    -John Morgan

  18. Swoosh

    Swoosh Guest

    "djarvinen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Which of the following statements should be the mind set when facing a 'challenge':
    >
    > A. Damn, I don't remember that hill being so steep before.
    > B. Oh man, I'm too old for this crap.
    > C. I hope the recent rain hasn't made this downhill too slick.
    > D. Maybe if I go 'real' slow, I'll be OK.
    > E. Hey, this looks like fun!

    I turned 55 this year and I haven't really subscribed to (B) as off yet although I practice (D) more
    and more when going down gnarly steep downhills. Overall it's still a lot of (E).

    Take care

    Rob