It's been a tough week in Whitehorse...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by eddiec, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    ...it's hard rubbish time over here again, and while it's been a great week of scrounging (this time the pick of the litter has been a complete weights bench!), but I must admit it's damn painful to see all these 27inch wheel road bikes waiting for the scrapper... I've saved one (with no good reason for doing so other than sympathy!), but there's a bundle more littering the streets - Even found an identical Raleigh Scorpio to the one I saved last time and turned into my ss shop bike...

    Anyone after a beater, get yourselves over here - I can even direct you to a few good ones...

    As an aside, also had an unfortunate ebay scrounging experience - picked up a dirt-cheap peugot road bike with 700c wheels for the fixie project, and today took it to be rebuilt to discover cracks and bulges in the rim... grr.. dammit. Well, at least I got some decent levers and brakes out of it.... double grr....

    Tags:

  2. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    can you direct to more specific area?

    looking for 56cm ish fixie material

  3. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    there was a raleigh and a repco at the corner of woodhouse gve and loraine ave, box hill north... but be quick - they're collecting this week.

    if neither of those take your fancy or they're gone I've got a fixie-able graecross frame in the shed I'm happy to give you which might be about that size (http://groups.msn.com/gumbercules1973/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6) , as well as the repco i just picked up this week...

    email [email protected] if you're interested in either of those...

  4. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003

    Rayc

    I have a 56 & 57 in the shed (from previous scrounging) that are intended for fixie / SS conversions. I've given 2 AB'ers first shot at them but they could be too big for them. (Ash & Resound, better sort your meassurements!)
    Stay tuned.

  5. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    oh dear! a mere 24 hours later and they're all gone... as are the pile of bike bits i chucked out the front as well.... methinks those funny old men who scrounge the piles for scrap metal did their rounds today...

    rayc, if you want i'm happy to give you either of the frames i've got here... i'm in the box hill area as well, so just let me know... i'd be happy to get rid of, er, i mean help another a.b-er out.... :D

  6. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Damm, got there at about 5.30 and not a cracker in sight. Drove around
    a bit and saw nothing'
    .....well except that crappy girls BMX parked on its kickstand at box
    hill hospital in a car space. Made me laugh

    That'd be great, any chance of you measuring ? hoping to find 56cm
    square if poss

    thanks

  7. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    yeah, that was a right bugger - couldn't believe it myself - it was like some bike vacuum had just ravaged the neighbourhood and sucked them all up, wheels 'n all.

    luckily i saved one which just happens to be 56cm (the repco). the graecross is a tad over 55 - you're welcome to come peek at both (and even take both if you like).

  8. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    eddiec wrote:

    > yeah, that was a right bugger - couldn't believe it myself - it was
    > like some bike vacuum had just ravaged the neighbourhood and sucked
    > them all up, wheels 'n all.

    I chucked some old VW wide rims out once. Had to turn around halfway down
    the drive and go tell the guy to wait a couple of minutes for the other two.
    He waited.

    Theo

  9. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Last bikeshop I worked at had a guy come thru , who ewmpty the bins and
    collect scrap metal. Apparently there a reasonalbe living that can be
    made from recycled metal, stainless is worth quite a bit and bike shops
    with clusters etc have quite a bit of steel thrown out.

    so I can see why they scavenge the hard rubbush days.

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-18, Rayc (aka Bruce)
    > Last bikeshop I worked at had a guy come thru , who ewmpty the bins and
    > collect scrap metal. Apparently there a reasonalbe living that can be
    > made from recycled metal, stainless is worth quite a bit and bike shops
    > with clusters etc have quite a bit of steel thrown out.
    >
    > so I can see why they scavenge the hard rubbush days.

    I just wish they'd leave the good frames behind, dammit!

    --
    TimC
    They skip the teaching of "8" and "G" in the public schools as part of

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-01-18, Rayc (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>Last bikeshop I worked at had a guy come thru , who ewmpty the bins and
    >>collect scrap metal. Apparently there a reasonalbe living that can be
    >>made from recycled metal, stainless is worth quite a bit and bike shops
    >>with clusters etc have quite a bit of steel thrown out.
    >>
    >>so I can see why they scavenge the hard rubbush days.

    > I just wish they'd leave the good frames behind, dammit!

    Whats the matter with your ocr Tim? I mean its no C50 but its a long
    long way from being junk

    Dave

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-20, dave (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> On 2006-01-18, Rayc (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >>
    >>>Last bikeshop I worked at had a guy come thru , who ewmpty the bins and
    >>>collect scrap metal. Apparently there a reasonalbe living that can be
    >>>made from recycled metal, stainless is worth quite a bit and bike shops
    >>>with clusters etc have quite a bit of steel thrown out.
    >>>
    >>>so I can see why they scavenge the hard rubbush days.

    >> I just wish they'd leave the good frames behind, dammit!

    > Whats the matter with your ocr Tim? I mean its no C50 but its a long
    > long way from being junk

    Nothing wrong with the OCR, I just need a second bike :)

    --
    TimC
    There are running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

  13. dave

    dave Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-01-20, dave (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>TimC wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2006-01-18, Rayc (aka Bruce)
    >>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    >>>I just wish they'd leave the good frames behind, dammit!

    >>Whats the matter with your ocr Tim? I mean its no C50 but its a long
    >>long way from being junk

    > Nothing wrong with the OCR, I just need a second bike :)

    sheesh I aint got room

  14. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004

    The hard waste in Box Hill really gets worked over. Used to live in Maude St BHN and hated hard rubbush time. Inconsiderate prkcs at 0300 with clapped out jap utes idleing while they ratted through garden bags full of leaves spreading them all over the footpath Grrrr. One time I had a huge shed clean out and by the time the council arrived all that was left was a buggered plastic garbage bin.

    Moral of the story is if ya want it grab it because there wont be a second chance.

    Hugh

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-20, dave (aka Bruce)
    > TimC wrote:
    >> On 2006-01-20, dave (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >>>Whats the matter with your ocr Tim? I mean its no C50 but its a long
    >>>long way from being junk

    >> Nothing wrong with the OCR, I just need a second bike :)

    > sheesh I aint got room

    I'll take any of your second bike candidates then.

    OK, so just got instruction on how to apply for this job in NSW the
    official way. Hopefully will have news in a couple of weeks now...

    In the meantime, me drunkiness.

    --
    TimC
    "The lights went out in his eyes for absolutely the very last time

  16. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Look, it was a Commodore, it was closer to 1am and we don't go for green waste..

    hippy ;-)

  17. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    the hard garbage was some good pickings this week. A set of rollers and
    some 170mm road cranks.

    cool.

    plus a cool 27 step thru frame.

    nice