Its been awhile and I need advice..

Kmf

Guest
Looking for a new bike. Last bike I bought was a bmx
(about 15 years ago). Looking to do about 50/50
offroad/onroad. Looking to spend between 500-800 USD.
Things sure have changed..

Any pointers on the mountain bikes that offer the best bang
for the buck (quality and qty)?

> Looking for a new bike. Last bike I bought was a bmx
> (about 15 years ago). Looking to do about 50/50
> offroad/onroad. Looking to spend between 500-800 USD.
> Things sure have changed..
>
> Any pointers on the mountain bikes that offer the best
> bang for the buck (quality and qty)?

Original poster here, I have found a good deal on this bike
at a local bike shop:
http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ics4.html Any comments? Can
get it for about $550-600 USD including taxes..

kmf <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Looking for a new bike. Last bike I bought was a bmx
>> (about 15 years ago). Looking to do about 50/50
>> offroad/onroad. Looking to spend between 500-800 USD.
>> Things sure have changed..
>>
>> Any pointers on the mountain bikes that offer the best
>> bang for the buck (quality and qty)?
>
> Original poster here, I have found a good deal on this
> bike at a local bike shop:
> http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ics4.html Any comments? Can
> get it for about $550-600 USD including taxes..

I've seen worse for more money. At that price range, the
spec isn't bad. I've got no clue about the frame itself, but
I've seen a similar component group on bikes costing
hundreds more.

Tom

> >> Looking for a new bike. Last bike I bought was a bmx
> >> (about 15 years ago). Looking to do about 50/50
> >> offroad/onroad. Looking to spend between 500-800 USD.
> >> Things sure have changed..
> >>
> >> Any pointers on the mountain bikes that offer the best
> >> bang for the buck (quality and qty)?
> >
> > Original poster here, I have found a good deal on this
> > bike at a local bike shop:
> > http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ics4.html Any comments?
> > Can get it for about $550-600 USD including taxes..
>
> I've seen worse for more money. At that price range, the
> spec isn't bad. I've got no clue about the frame itself,
> but I've seen a similar component group on bikes costing
> hundreds more.

Do you think it would be good for the type of riding I
originally described above, about 50/50 offroad/onroad?

kmf <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Original poster here, I have found a good deal on this
>>> bike at a local bike shop:
>>> http://www.harobikes.com/2003/ics4.html Any comments?
>>> Can get it for about $550-600 USD including taxes..
>>
>> I've seen worse for more money. At that price range, the
>> spec isn't bad. I've got no clue about the frame itself,
>> but I've seen a similar component group on bikes costing
>> hundreds more.
>
> Do you think it would be good for the type of riding I
> originally described above, about 50/50 offroad/onroad?

As it's configured right now, no I don't think it would be
your best bet. The bike you show appears designed to be a
low-end mountain bike. It probably relatively heavy and not
the best thing to put in miles on the road. The suitability
of it for your need depends more on what type of "off road"
riding you want to do and how much road riding you want to
do. If you're talking gravel paths and groomed but unpaved
bike trails, you're probabaly better off looking at a
hybrid machine. If you are talking about standard off-road
mtb terrain (hehehe, whatever that is?) then you may want
to sacrifice some road-riding efficiency for better
performance off road.

The bottom line is that you can always ride a MTB on the
road, but not vice-versa. The question you need to ask is
what you'll give up in the way of speed and effiiciency in
favor of comfort and off road performance. You can always
"roadie-ize" a mtb with slick wheels, changed the stem and
fork, etc.

My advice -- go talk to a well regarded bike shop. Let
them show you the type of bike that meets your needs in
the price range you want. Then have them make sure
whatever you buy fits.

Tom

> > Do you think it would be good for the type of riding I
> > originally described above, about 50/50 offroad/onroad?
>
> As it's configured right now, no I don't think it would
> be your best bet. The bike you show appears designed to
> be a low-end mountain bike. It probably relatively
> heavy and not the best thing to put in miles on the
> road. The suitability of it for your need depends more
> on what type of
"off
> road" riding you want to do and how much road riding you
> want to do. If you're talking gravel paths and groomed but
> unpaved bike trails, you're probabaly better off looking
> at a hybrid machine. If you are talking
about
> standard off-road mtb terrain (hehehe, whatever that is?)
> then you may
want
> to sacrifice some road-riding efficiency for better
> performance off road.
>
> The bottom line is that you can always ride a MTB on the
> road, but not vice-versa. The question you need to ask is
> what you'll give up in the
way
> of speed and effiiciency in favor of comfort and off road
> performance.
You
> can always "roadie-ize" a mtb with slick wheels, changed
> the stem and
fork,
> etc.
>
> My advice -- go talk to a well regarded bike shop. Let
> them show you the type of bike that meets your needs in
> the price range you want. Then have them make sure
> whatever you buy fits.
>
> Tom

Tom, thanks for the advice, its appreciated. I would
probably sacrifice some road riding ability for better
offroad performance. I am not looking to do any long hauls
on the road with this bike, mainly it would be used to ride
around with my small kids when I am not off on a trail
someplace. We live in BC and on top of that we live up on a
mountain, lots of opportunities to go offroad around here.