It's beginning to look a lot like a bike.....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. A group of close frineds chipped in and bough me a stem:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/stem-partial.jpg Dam, that Thomson is SWEET! I never would
    have bought it for myself so it is all the more special. So I finally got my bars mounted:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars1.jpg http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars2.jpg

    I still need to play with prostioning of the brake levers, though. But I really can't do that till I
    get the cranks installed and can get some riding done.

    I stole the seatpost ouf of Karen's bike. She didn't NEED the extra long Thomson seatpost, the one
    Mr. Thorne donated to the cause was too short for my use but would suit her bike just fine... So it
    all worked out.

    I got a POS seat from the LBS dumpster so I can at least start getting things dialed in.

    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg

    Seeing as I had handlebars and a seat, and two wheels, I walked it to the top of my hill and coasted
    down, only real problem was, I had no pedals, nor brakes so coming to a stop was quite humerous, but
    I survived... suffice it to say, before I do that gain, I'll need to get some working brakes!

    I proceeded to use the most important feature of the bike to reward myself:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/beer1.jpg

    g'night!

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    It's beginning to look like a bike for Clydesdale Everywhere he goes....

    (Sang with the melody of the Christmas song :)

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    > A group of close frineds chipped in and bough me a stem:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/stem-partial.jpg Dam, that Thomson is SWEET! I never would
    > have bought it for myself so it is all the more special. So I finally got my bars mounted:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars1.jpg
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars2.jpg
    >
    > I still need to play with prostioning of the brake levers, though. But I really can't do that till
    > I get the cranks installed and can get some riding done.
    >
    > I stole the seatpost ouf of Karen's bike. She didn't NEED the extra long Thomson seatpost, the one
    > Mr. Thorne donated to the cause was too short for my use but would suit her bike just fine... So
    > it all worked out.
    >
    > I got a POS seat from the LBS dumpster so I can at least start getting things dialed in.
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg
    >
    > Seeing as I had handlebars and a seat, and two wheels, I walked it to the top of my hill and
    > coasted down, only real problem was, I had no pedals, nor brakes so coming to a stop was quite
    > humerous, but I survived... suffice it to say, before I do that gain, I'll need to get some
    > working brakes!
    >
    > I proceeded to use the most important feature of the bike to reward
    myself:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/beer1.jpg
    >

    > g'night!

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  4. >
    >A group of close frineds chipped in and bough me a stem:
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/stem-partial.jpg Dam, that Thomson is SWEET! I never would
    >have bought it for myself so it is all the more special. So I finally got my bars mounted:
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars1.jpg http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars2.jpg

    I've always thought the WTB bars looked soooo cool. I've never spent any quality time on them,
    though. You like 'em eh?

    >I still need to play with prostioning of the brake levers, though. But I really can't do that till
    >I get the cranks installed and can get some riding done.
    >
    >I stole the seatpost ouf of Karen's bike. She didn't NEED the extra long Thomson seatpost, the one
    >Mr. Thorne donated to the cause was too short for my use but would suit her bike just fine... So it
    >all worked out.
    >
    >I got a POS seat from the LBS dumpster so I can at least start getting things dialed in.
    >
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg

    >Seeing as I had handlebars and a seat, and two wheels, I walked it to the top of my hill and
    >coasted down, only real problem was, I had no pedals, nor brakes so coming to a stop was quite
    >humerous, but I survived... suffice it to say, before I do that gain, I'll need to get some
    >working brakes!

    Running dismount, duh. It's a cross bike.

    >I proceeded to use the most important feature of the bike to reward myself:
    >http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/beer1.jpg

    Mmmmm beer.

    >g'night!

    Thanks for sharing the progress with us. I love wathcing a bike come together. I can't wait to see
    how all the proportions come together once you've got the knobbies and a B-17 on it.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  5. Zilla says:

    >(Sang with the melody of the Christmas song :)

    If that song gets stuck in my head today, you're goona pay......

    ;-P

    Steve

  6. Andrew Thorne said:

    >Running dismount, duh. It's a cross bike.

    That's a tough one with no pedals........

  7. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

  8. John G

    John G Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    > Are those my ex-brake levers??? They look prettier on your bike...

    Indeed, they are!

  9. John G

    John G Guest

    Andrew Thorne wrote:

    > I've always thought the WTB bars looked soooo cool. I've never spent any quality time on them,
    > though. You like 'em eh?

    They sure look cool, but to be honest I've only had about 30 seconds of "ride time" and 25 of those
    seconds was spent thinking "Ohhh SH!T how do I STOP this thing!?!?!"

    > Running dismount, duh. It's a cross bike.

    Aye, but it's MUCH easier to do with _pedals_

    > I can't wait to see how all the proportions come together once you've got the knobbies and a
    > B-17 on it.

    I dunno about a Brooks.... Right now I'm at the mercy of those who have spare parts to be rid of. I
    can't imagine ANYBODY having a B-17 or ANY Brooks saddle they don't want... it just doesnt happen.
    you only buy a Brooks if you intend on sititng on it until you die, and usually you request it be
    placed in the casket with you.

  10. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A group of close frineds chipped in and bough me a stem:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/stem-partial.jpg Dam, that Thomson is SWEET! I never would
    > have bought it for myself so it is all the more special. So I finally got my bars mounted:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars1.jpg
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/bars2.jpg
    >
    > I still need to play with prostioning of the brake levers, though. But I really can't do that till
    > I get the cranks installed and can get some riding done.
    >
    > I stole the seatpost ouf of Karen's bike. She didn't NEED the extra long Thomson seatpost, the one
    > Mr. Thorne donated to the cause was too short for my use but would suit her bike just fine... So
    > it all worked out.
    >
    > I got a POS seat from the LBS dumpster so I can at least start getting things dialed in.
    >
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/almost.jpg
    >
    > Seeing as I had handlebars and a seat, and two wheels, I walked it to the top of my hill and
    > coasted down, only real problem was, I had no pedals, nor brakes so coming to a stop was quite
    > humerous, but I survived... suffice it to say, before I do that gain, I'll need to get some
    > working brakes!
    >
    > I proceeded to use the most important feature of the bike to reward myself:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/cx/beer1.jpg
    >

    > g'night!

    Looks good. You're still living in "non-roadie" denial with those handlebars, though. Stylish for a
    Bridgestone steel city beater/cruiser, yes, but they seem rather impractical for offroad. If you
    insist on keeping them, I'd say regular mountain bike brake levers would better serve you. Roadie
    brake levers are only worthwhile if you plan to spend time in the hoods, which, with the angle of
    those bars, you ain't. Grips or tape? Or, should I ask, denial or acceptance? /s

  11. x

    x Guest

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:52:22 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip a very good hobby!]

    Great stuff, just simply great!

    >g'night!

    :-]