It's COLD~~~~ Is it Soup Yet?

Jmcquown

Guest
No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
sunlight is cold.

To that end: soup today! (Does that surprise you?) A couple of different kinds, actually. I'm
starting with my dad's Navy Bean soup, which takes about 4 hours to be truly fantastic.

I'll be finishing with something slightly Asian in taste and definitely not seasonal: asparagus soup
using (gasp!) canned asparagus and canned crabmeat. Some ginger and a thread of saffron will make
this dish absolutely delicious. I may even go nuts and throw in some crawfish tail meat or tiny
salad shrimp.

The great thing about soups, stews and chili is they are even better reheated the next day. And most
of them freeze well, too.

I'm off to start a fire in the fireplace and get my salt pork browned for the start of the navy bean
soup :) Have a good day, all!

Jill

> No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> sunlight is cold.
>
> To that end: soup today! (Does that surprise you?) A couple of different kinds, actually. I'm
> starting with my dad's Navy Bean soup, which takes about 4 hours to be truly fantastic.
>
> I'll be finishing with something slightly Asian in taste and definitely
not
> seasonal: asparagus soup using (gasp!) canned asparagus and canned
crabmeat.
> Some ginger and a thread of saffron will make this dish absolutely delicious. I may even go nuts
> and throw in some crawfish tail meat or
tiny
> salad shrimp.
>
> The great thing about soups, stews and chili is they are even better reheated the next day. And
> most of them freeze well, too.
>
> I'm off to start a fire in the fireplace and get my salt pork browned for the start of the navy
> bean soup :) Have a good day, all!
>
> Jill

Mr. Wizard posted this the other day and my try at it yielded fantastic results. Highly recommended.

Carrot Cardamom Soup 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium white onion, chopped 3 tablespoons chopped
peeled fresh ginger 1 tablespoon ground Cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2/2 teaspoon chili powder
3/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch 1 large pie apple diced
fine 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, 1/4-inch dice 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and 1/2-inch
dice 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and 1/2 inch dice 8 cups Chicken Stock 2 cups dry white wine (I
used a Rhein River Riesling) 1 1/2 tablespoon (packed) light brown sugar
4/2 cup fresh lime juice
5/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, in
pieces salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste lime slices, for garnish

Heat olive oil in a large nonreactive stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, spices,
carrots, apple, red pepper and potatoes. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices and then sauté
until the onion is translucent. About 15 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, white wine, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover
and simmer About 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Use a stick blender and process until smooth. Return the soup to the stove and reheat over low heat.
Stir in the lime juice and parsley; add the butter and salt and pepper and heat until the butter is
melted. Serve in bowl garnished with a lime slice.

Tex-Mex wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
>> sunlight is cold.
>>
>> To that end: soup today! (Does that surprise you?) A couple of different kinds, actually.
(snipped self)
>> Jill
>>
> Mr. Wizard posted this the other day and my try at it yielded fantastic results. Highly
> recommended.
>
> Carrot Cardamom Soup 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium white onion, chopped 3 tablespoons chopped
> peeled fresh ginger 1 tablespoon ground Cardamom
> 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
> 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch 1 large pie apple diced
> fine 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, 1/4-inch dice 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and 1/2-
> inch dice 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and 1/2 inch dice 8 cups Chicken Stock 2 cups dry white
> wine (I used a Rhein River Riesling) 1 1/2 tablespoon (packed) light brown sugar
> 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
> 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, in
> pieces salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste lime slices, for garnish
>
> Heat olive oil in a large nonreactive stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, spices,
> carrots, apple, red pepper and potatoes. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices and then
> sauté until the onion is translucent. About 15 minutes.
>
> Add the chicken stock, white wine, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover
> and simmer About 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat.
>
> Use a stick blender and process until smooth. Return the soup to the stove and reheat over low
> heat. Stir in the lime juice and parsley; add the butter and salt and pepper and heat until the
> butter is melted. Serve in bowl garnished with a lime slice.

No offense to you or Mr. Wizard, but this sounds way too sweet to me. Almost like a pureed carrot
cake. I prefer my soups savory.

However, my small parrot, Peaches, loves carrots :)

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tex-Mex wrote:
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> >> sunlight is cold.
> >>
> >> To that end: soup today! (Does that surprise you?) A couple of different kinds, actually.
> (snipped self)
> >> Jill
> >>
> > Mr. Wizard posted this the other day and my try at it yielded fantastic results. Highly
> > recommended.
> >
> > Carrot Cardamom Soup 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium white onion, chopped 3 tablespoons chopped
> > peeled fresh ginger 1 tablespoon ground Cardamom
> > 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
> > 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
> > 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch 1 large pie apple diced
> > fine 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, 1/4-inch dice 1 medium Idaho potato, peeled and 1/2-
> > inch dice 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and 1/2 inch dice 8 cups Chicken Stock 2 cups dry
> > white wine (I used a Rhein River Riesling) 1 1/2 tablespoon (packed) light brown sugar
> > 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
> > 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, in
> > pieces salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste lime slices, for garnish
> >
> > Heat olive oil in a large nonreactive stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, spices,
> > carrots, apple, red pepper and potatoes. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices and then
> > sauté until the onion is translucent. About 15 minutes.
> >
> > Add the chicken stock, white wine, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low,
> > cover and simmer About 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat.
> >
> > Use a stick blender and process until smooth. Return the soup to the stove and reheat over low
> > heat. Stir in the lime juice and parsley; add the butter and salt and pepper and heat until the
> > butter is melted. Serve in bowl garnished with a lime slice.
>
> No offense to you or Mr. Wizard, but this sounds way too sweet to me. Almost like a pureed carrot
> cake. I prefer my soups savory.
>
> However, my small parrot, Peaches, loves carrots :)
>
> Jill

Don't think that the sugar makes this recipe sweet... ;-)

Something my mom taught me about soups and gravies. Sometimes, if "that-just-right" flavor is
missing, adding just a bit of sugar to any sauce or soup can add just that hint of richness that it
needed. It works!

It was a standard addition to her SOS recipe. And that was anything but sweet.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> sunlight is cold.

It just stopped being -50C here with wind chill (boy the sun seems warm today).

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > No offense to you or Mr. Wizard, but this sounds way too sweet to me. Almost like a pureed
> > carrot cake. I prefer my soups savory.
> >
> > However, my small parrot, Peaches, loves carrots :)
> >
> > Jill

My Lab Retrievier does also and it really keeps the weight off of her to have such a "Healthy and
affordable" dog biscuit.

> Don't think that the sugar makes this recipe sweet... ;-)
>
> Something my mom taught me about soups and gravies. Sometimes, if "that-just-right" flavor is
> missing, adding just a bit of sugar to any sauce or soup can add just that hint of richness that
> it needed. It works!
>
> It was a standard addition to her SOS recipe. And that was anything but sweet.
>
> K.

That soup wasn't very sweet, kind of bloomed in the mouth. It really cleared out the sinuses. I made
sourdough with cheddar toast points to go with it.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> sunlight is cold.
(snip)
> Jill
--------------------------
I'm in North Dakota where it gets too cold to snow! (Not kidding) 25 below zero day B4 yesterday.
That was NOT the "wind chill" - which was 54 below. It was a Chili day. Today it is still somewhere
below zero but it's snowing. I'd send it to you if I could! Lynn in Fargo (My car won't start. My
daughter's car won't start. Should be a lovely relaxing week end!)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lynn Gifford) wrote:

> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> > sunlight is cold.
> (snip)
> > Jill
> --------------------------
> I'm in North Dakota where it gets too cold to snow! (Not kidding) 25 below zero day B4 yesterday.
> That was NOT the "wind chill" - which was 54 below. It was a Chili day. Today it is still
> somewhere below zero but it's snowing. I'd send it to you if I could! Lynn in Fargo (My car won't
> start. My daughter's car won't start. Should be a lovely relaxing week end!)

So move......... ;-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Lynn
> Gifford) wrote:
>
> > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > No snow, darnit. At least if it's going to be this cold I'd like to see some snow. Even the
> > > sunlight is cold.
> (snip)
> > > Jill
> > I'm in North Dakota where it gets too cold to snow! (Not kidding) 25 below zero day B4
> > yesterday. That was NOT the "wind chill" - which was 54 below. It was a Chili day. Today it is
> > still somewhere below zero but it's snowing. I'd send it to you if I could! Lynn in Fargo (My
> > car won't start. My daughter's car won't start. Should be a lovely relaxing week end!)

Hey! I meant that aboout the relaxing week end. Do you know how many things I won't have to do this
weekend because I can't drive ? ? ? ? It's a wonderful change of pace. I have nothing to do but
read, cook, eat, read, eat, cook . . .

Lynn in Fargo (Contemplating a big bag of frozen berries . . . )