It's cool to be clean: UCI come down hard on dope cheats... sign or we'll name ya !

cyclingheroes said:
He is not the only one. Loads of team doctors, soigneurs and managers etc. etc. etc also don't have to sign the document. I heard even journalists can refuse to sigh it.
Wether one signs--or does not sign the papers----IT HAS NO EFFECT whatsoever.

I don't know. It could have a serious impact. I think you will see some riders balk at signing the thing. If you were Valv/Piti, Osa, Gemma and all the rest and you knew that your blood was in police custody in Spain just waiting for your DNA to match, you would probably refuse to sign. It will be interesting to see what the riders will do. I suspect that there will be many crashes, injuries and illnesses leading up to the Tour.

I also think that the statement they have to sign is fairly unsophisticated and was probably a compromise. If they really wanted to have an impact, the statement would have been more lawyered up. Right now there are too many holes in it.

I just hope that they fix the sport so we can get back to bike racing.

cyclingheroes said:
Oh I'll agree on that one.

Frigo's Luggage said:
I don't know. It could have a serious impact.

edited

Hmmm.

Fix the sport? What on earth does that mean?

1) better cover ups?
2) more emphatic, better convincing empty denials?
3) more secure, more secretive steroid dealing, blood banking Gynocologists?
4) slower, more inconsistent racers?

Just enjoy the mess we're in. It is much more interesting than watching that BLUE TRAIN ride tempo and Lance's boring interviews.

Frigo's Luggage said:
I suspect that there will be many crashes, injuries and illnesses leading up to the Tour.

Yes its just been announced that the entire ASTANA team has come down with a debilitating flu... its one of those lay-dormant ones that will rear itself in about 3 weeks forcing the team out of the Tour.... a lot of bad luck.....

...and nice work by Di Luca... get rich by winning the Giro then go spend your money during July.....

I would love to see slower and more inconsistent racers. Wouldn't it be great to watch the Tour and have the possibilty of the Yellow Jersey cracking on any given day? Its been so methodical in the past years that it really has become boring. Clean the sport up so that there is real possibility of drama and uncertainty. I hated the Blue Train style of controlling the race.

Doctor.House said:
Hmmm.

Fix the sport? What on earth does that mean?

1) better cover ups?
2) more emphatic, better convincing empty denials?
3) more secure, more secretive steroid dealing, blood banking Gynocologists?
4) slower, more inconsistent racers?

Just enjoy the mess we're in. It is much more interesting than watching that BLUE TRAIN ride tempo and Lance's boring interviews.

Frigo's Luggage said:
I would love to see slower and more inconsistent racers. Wouldn't it be great to watch the Tour and have the possibilty of the Yellow Jersey cracking on any given day? Its been so methodical in the past years that it really has become boring. Clean the sport up so that there is real possibility of drama and uncertainty. I hated the Blue Train style of controlling the race.
I agree 100%. Drug free racing would be far more exciting. tactics would be far more important too as the average tempo would be far lower.

Team conspiracies, stages sold and traded would still factor in of course---but that is all accepted.

Doping is was the BIG BAD element made worse by synthetic cow blood and EPO methods.

Unfortunately---there is absolutely NO WAY to get doping out of any sport.

And so we must be subjected to mindless excuses and cover stories.

whiteboytrash said:
How lame does this sound ?

No wonder Hincapie is trying to change teams ! He needs to get out before he loses a year's salery !

Yes, I forgot how "clean" T-Mobile has been in the past (systemic doping regime) and the present when they defended the two doping doctors in charge of the 'anti-doping' program (wink, wink) until the writing was on the wall.

Doctor.House said:
Team conspiracies, stages sold and traded would still factor in of course---but that is all accepted.

Corruption in the peloton is as bad as doping. Worse in fact but for the health problems doping brings. Funny you find selling stages and races to be acceptable :rolleyes:

Nothing unethical or immoral on that front, right Doctor.House :eek:

You're probably one of those who scream about the fans getting "cheated" by the dopers, but selling races in exchange for bribes, etc., is "OK" by you.

Serafino said:
Corruption in the peloton is as bad as doping. Worse in fact but for the health problems doping brings. Funny you find selling stages and races to be acceptable :rolleyes:

Nothing unethical or immoral on that front, right Doctor.House :eek:

You're probably one of those who scream about the fans getting "cheated" by the dopers, but selling races in exchange for bribes, etc., is "OK" by you.
If you object to making deals on the road, then cycling is NOT your sport.

In fact, all sports seem beyond your reach.

Sports will ALWAYS have private understandings. Unless you enjoy competing alone, with only yourself to play with.

Doctor.House said:
Wether one signs--or does not sign the papers----IT HAS NO EFFECT whatsoever.
You're wrong, if they don't sign they can't ride the Tour.
There are approx. 107 riders involved in Puerto, do you really think they are going to sign this knowing if they do they will have to hand over their DNA and thus risk a two year ban?
I don't think Valv. or Pereiro will ride the Tour.

Moller said:
There are approx. 107 riders involved in Puerto, do you really think they are going to sign this knowing if they do they will have to hand over their DNA and thus risk a two year ban?
Has ASO actually said it won't let those who don't sign ride the Tour? The UCI said that might be the case but has ASO actually confirmed?

Rolfrae said:
Has ASO actually said it won't let those who don't sign ride the Tour? The UCI said that might be the case but has ASO actually confirmed?
This is from l'equipe.

UCI - Dopage Christian Prudhomme a profité de la création de la charte anti-dopage par l'UCI mardi, pour affirmer que tout coureur ne l'ayant pas signée avant le 7 juillet serait refusé sur la Grande Boucle.

Basically says that any rider who hasn't signed before 7th July will be refused.

For some strange reason, this hasn't been reported on cyclingnews.

Moller said:
This is from l'equipe.

UCI - Dopage Christian Prudhomme a profité de la création de la charte anti-dopage par l'UCI mardi, pour affirmer que tout coureur ne l'ayant pas signée avant le 7 juillet serait refusé sur la Grande Boucle.

Basically says that any rider who hasn't signed before 7th July will be refused.

For some strange reason, this hasn't been reported on cyclingnews.
Thanks for that Moller. I didn't realise Prudhomme had said this. Somewhat changes the situation - although, given the way Basso lied for so long I wouldn't be surprised if implicated riders signed anyway in the hope that their blood never makes it to the lab for the DNA test.

Well Mark Cavindish who was on hand to sign the agreement with a smiling Pat McQuaid tells us all:

"I really don't know why they chose me," he said. "Perhaps because I am British and have never been confronted with doping. And maybe because I'm an example of the new generation, right? I don't give a f**k what has gone on in the past". - well I'm glad he knew why he was there......! nice one UCI !

WBT, what is the source?

whiteboytrash said:
Well Mark Cavindish who was on hand to sign the agreement with a smiling Pat McQuaid tells us all:

"I really don't know why they chose me," he said. "Perhaps because I am British and have never been confronted with doping. And maybe because I'm an example of the new generation, right? I don't give a f**k what has gone on in the past". - well I'm glad he knew why he was there......! nice one UCI !

Moller said:
It is not possible for me to be incorrect re a policy decision with which the underwriters WOULD/COULD NEVER authorize.

If---as you imply, a rider who refuses to sign that doping declaration form, would be EXCLUDED from the Tour--on the eve of the proloque------only a handful of riders would suit up.

It would be another bust----worse than the Fetina drug bust when 40% of the riders eventually quit or were detained by Police.

No, I am quite correct when I wote, whether or not riders sign those papers, it will have no effect whatsoever on the event.

Pure PR. And pretty lame PR too. Worse than a ESPN George Mitchell/MLB Jason Giambi meeting to discuss Clomid and other female fertility hormones.

I fully agree with you doc. He would not sign anything that would be unfair to cyclists as a group. He in fact made himself a target when he represented athe cyclists protest against additional (non UCI controls) just prior to the 1999 giro. And he coincidentally suffered a suspension for health safety reasons and served several other suspensions for suspected sporting fraud that had no basis to ever have been presented, and were later thrown out. The suspensions had already run their courses by that time, of course.
Doctor.House said:
Marco Pantani WOULD NEVER sign such a hypocritical document.

Of course---he died before he was forced into another drug suspension.

Basso, Ulrich, Landis, Gutierrez, Hamilton, Heras are all out of Tour history.