It's getting colder, do you wear tights?

mmpc001

Oct 16, 2003
It's getting cooler here in Colorado so my thoughts have turned to keeping warm during cold rides. Since we all know most cycling apparel isn't cheap and difficult to return, I need some first-hand advice before spending more money.

The most cost-effective option for me would be to buy some warm tights minus chamois (Pearl Izumi AmFIB or similar) to wear over my bib shorts. I could also use these tights for cross training - running and XC skiing. Butt I'm wondering (sorry :rolleyes: ), does this option work well or do the tights spend the majority of ones' ride sliding down ones' bum? What's everyone else do?

I wear some chamois-less tights from REI over my bike shorts, and they seem to stay up.

Doctor Morbius said:
Yes. And a cape! :D
I wish I had thought of that...

Most tights come with a drawstring. I wear Pearls, or Performance wind-blockers. The windblockers are great because they have this heavier material only in the front that...well...blocks the wind. They are great when it gets gusty, but if it's just cold...of course the Pearls are sweet
Cheers

I wear tights over shorts. I don't have a problem with them staying up, but the two layers of lycra feel a bit slippery.

I could never get comfy with tights -- had trouble keeping them up around the crotch -- so I wear knee-warmers, which, if you've never had any, just slip over your knees (obviously :) ), then the tops just slip under the bottom of your shorts. Much more comfortable, in my opinion.

have a look at the site in my signiture, they have a lot there..... its where i got mine from! :D

Wind proof/water proof front insulated tights...Pricey? Oh yeah! Worth every stinking penny of it.

I've got "cycling tights", I've got "cross country running tights" -- so far I've detected the major difference being that X-country tights are built for people as opposed to the whippet thin crowd that all clothing manufacturers seem to think are the only people on a bike....and they've got pockets.

And they were about $40 cheaper.

Same moisture wicking properties.

sorry Guys, it was 41 degrees celsius here in Sydney 4 days ago. knicks, short sleeved jersey and 2 x 750 ml bottles of powerade and stinging sweat in my eyes. And i had tan lines from a 2 hour ride and also got burnt and had to use aloe vera on my legs. sheesh its hard down here.

cold?, what's cold??

superclimber said:
sorry Guys, it was 41 degrees celsius here in Sydney 4 days ago. knicks, short sleeved jersey and 2 x 750 ml bottles of powerade and stinging sweat in my eyes. And i had tan lines from a 2 hour ride and also got burnt and had to use aloe vera on my legs. sheesh its hard down here.

cold?, what's cold??

I so feel your pain.... :rolleyes:

superclimber said:

cold?, what's cold??
Why, you make sound as if it were summer down there in the southern hemisphere!

Hmm, I'm too lazy to go out in the cold. ;)

Actually that's not totally true, for moderate cold, leg warmers do the trick just fine. If it gets too cold I have trouble breathing, lungs start to burn, that keeps me in... time to grab a beer and curl up by the fireplace.

It rarely gets cold enough around here for tights. In recent years I have developed sensitivity in my tows and palms, but tights won't help with that... there is only one place where such clothes are required: Mt. Hermon in the north during winter. And maybe the Negev mountains in the south when riding on winter nights.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, do you carry an Uzi while riding? Judging solely from the news (a poor source to be sure) it seems that the security in Israel is really strained. I'd love to visit, and ride, there. Assuming my misconceptions of security are overstated, how is the riding? Roads? Traffic? Terrain?

ItsikH said:
It rarely gets cold enough around here for tights. In recent years I have developed sensitivity in my tows and palms, but tights won't help with that... there is only one place where such clothes are required: Mt. Hermon in the north during winter. And maybe the Negev mountains in the south when riding on winter nights.

bishan said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but, do you carry an Uzi while riding? Judging solely from the news (a poor source to be sure) it seems that the security in Israel is really strained. I'd love to visit, and ride, there. Assuming my misconceptions of security are overstated, how is the riding? Roads? Traffic? Terrain?
First - being a pacifist myself I do not carry any weapon, and it is not required unless you travel in Gaza or the west bank which I don't. But the sad part is the traffic, which is extremely dangerous. Road cyclers are considered suicidal! But there are more remote roads with less traffic and great views, and if you go off road you have lots of even more great places to see. Bottom line - I recommend cycling with locals, so that you won't get into any trouble of any kind.

ATM said:
Why, you make sound as if it were summer down there in the southern hemisphere!
summer year round here guys, it's Australia!. (where i live anyway :cool: ) but on a serious note, summer has poked its head out a little early which is common anyway, but as i speak, wev'e had three days of torrential spring rain 3 months late and now the entire east coast in experiencing flood conditions. go figure.

I only reckon its warm in sydney cos I've lived in the tropics and if you don't feel the cold when you return, then its not that cold is it. does that make any sense???