IT's ham and scalloped potatoes i need another dish

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by hammer, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. hammer

    hammer Guest

    just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    Tags:

  2. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    hammer wrote:
    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    It's not clear what you want. Just add ham (diced or cubed) to
    scalloped potatoes, before baking - you'll also want some salt & pepper
    (not very much salt), diced onion, maybe some diced green pepper and/or
    parsley flakes, some garlic, minced or powdered, and some shredded
    cheese on top. Or not.

    N.

  3. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    hammer wrote:
    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    You need some veggies to add color, I'd suggest something green and
    something orange to fill out the meal. Go easy doing anything with too
    much salt (like cheese sauce) or creamy as the ham is so salty, and the
    potatoes creamy already so it would be redundant. Marinated asparagus
    would be good, and how about some simple buttered baby carrots?

    Goomba

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    hammer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    Baked beans
    Cole slaw
    Green beans
    Stewed tomatoes.

    Pick two,
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-18-05 - Church review (I think
    I'll become a critic - Rob's been calling me one for years!)

  5. On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:55:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > hammer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    > Baked beans
    > Cole slaw
    > Green beans
    > Stewed tomatoes.
    >
    > Pick two,

    They need a side dish and a dessert. Make two posts right in a row.
    The other had more info. I suggested green beans and apple pie.

    Carol

  6. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > hammer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    > Baked beans
    > Cole slaw
    > Green beans
    > Stewed tomatoes.
    >
    > Pick two,

    Oooh.. Okra and tomatoes are a wonderful combination. It would certainly
    go well with the ham too!!!

  7. hammer wrote:

    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    Just a few suggestions, recipes on request.

    Baked mushrooms in cheese sauce

    Cauliflower with mornay sauce

    mushroom fritters with remoulade sauce

    assorted veggie fritters with herb cream sauce

    tomato corn casserole

    spinach souffle

    mushrooms a la ritz (mushrooms. eggs and sherry)
    ---
    JL

  8. On Wed 21 Dec 2005 04:29:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Goomba38?

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, hammer
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    >> Baked beans
    >> Cole slaw
    >> Green beans
    >> Stewed tomatoes.
    >>
    >> Pick two,

    > Oooh.. Okra and tomatoes are a wonderful combination. It would certainly
    > go well with the ham too!!!

    And I would add corn to that combination. A classic southern US
    combination.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  9. tintalle

    tintalle Guest

    I'd love to see the mushrooms in cheese sauce recipe... sounds good!

  10. Puester

    Puester Guest

    hammer wrote:
    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    Applesauce and something green--spinach, broccoli, maybe in a casserole.

    gloria p

  11. tintalle wrote:

    > I'd love to see the mushrooms in cheese sauce recipe... sounds good!

    Here you go. The original recipe calls for rendering the fat out of salt
    pork and using it to cook the mushrooms stems, i substitute about 3 tbs.
    of canola oil.

    However, i have used bacon, sauté the bacon (3 large thick strips) and
    reserve about 3 tbs. of the fat to cook the mushroom stems. Then cut
    the bacon into large dice and sprinkle over the top of the dish. While
    this is not bad, its a little too rich for my taste and i also think the
    bacon tends to distract from rather than complement the cheese and
    mushroom.

    Baked mushrooms in cheese sauce

    8 large mushrooms

    3 tbs. canola oil

    2 cups béchamel or white sauce

    1 cup grated romano cheese

    1/3 cup finely minced green onions

    1 & 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs

    1 - 2 cloves crushed garlic

    1 tsp. dried oregano

    remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop coarsely/

    Add the chopped mushrooms stems & garlic to the canola oil and cook till
    stems are soft, set aside.

    Combine the béchamel and 3/4 cup cheese, stirring until the cheese is
    melted. Stir in the green onions and the chopped mushrooms & 1/2 the
    oregano. Arrange the mushroom caps, round side down, in a 9 & 1/2 inch
    shallow baking dish, then pour the cheese sauce over all. Sprinkle the
    bread crumbs over the cheese sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese &
    oregano evenly over the bread crumbs. Bake in a preheated 350 F degree
    oven for about 20 minutes or until the topping is browned.

    Parmesan or any hared cheese may be substituted for the romano cheese.
    ---
    JL

  12. hammer wrote:
    > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

    Broccoli, cooked until tender-crisp. I like to mix mine with the
    scalloped potatoes--
    one of the few foods I will eat mixed. Normally I'm like a
    five-year-old about my
    food "touching".

    I suppose you could butter the broccoli, but with the rich potatoes and
    salty ham,
    I'd keep it simple.

    Cindy Hamilton