IT's ham and scalloped potatoes i need another dish

hammer wrote:
> just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

It's not clear what you want. Just add ham (diced or cubed) to
scalloped potatoes, before baking - you'll also want some salt & pepper
(not very much salt), diced onion, maybe some diced green pepper and/or
parsley flakes, some garlic, minced or powdered, and some shredded
cheese on top. Or not.

N.

hammer wrote:
> just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

You need some veggies to add color, I'd suggest something green and
something orange to fill out the meal. Go easy doing anything with too
much salt (like cheese sauce) or creamy as the ham is so salty, and the
potatoes creamy already so it would be redundant. Marinated asparagus
would be good, and how about some simple buttered baby carrots?

Goomba

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:55:33 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> hammer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

> Baked beans
> Cole slaw
> Green beans
> Stewed tomatoes.
>
> Pick two,

They need a side dish and a dessert. Make two posts right in a row.
The other had more info. I suggested green beans and apple pie.

Carol

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> hammer <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

> Baked beans
> Cole slaw
> Green beans
> Stewed tomatoes.
>
> Pick two,

Oooh.. Okra and tomatoes are a wonderful combination. It would certainly
go well with the ham too!!!

hammer wrote:

> just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

Just a few suggestions, recipes on request.

Baked mushrooms in cheese sauce

Cauliflower with mornay sauce

mushroom fritters with remoulade sauce

assorted veggie fritters with herb cream sauce

tomato corn casserole

spinach souffle

mushrooms a la ritz (mushrooms. eggs and sherry)
---
JL

On Wed 21 Dec 2005 04:29:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Goomba38?

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, hammer
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

>> Baked beans
>> Cole slaw
>> Green beans
>> Stewed tomatoes.
>>
>> Pick two,

> Oooh.. Okra and tomatoes are a wonderful combination. It would certainly
> go well with the ham too!!!

And I would add corn to that combination. A classic southern US
combination.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I'd love to see the mushrooms in cheese sauce recipe... sounds good!

hammer wrote:
> just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

Applesauce and something green--spinach, broccoli, maybe in a casserole.

gloria p

tintalle wrote:

> I'd love to see the mushrooms in cheese sauce recipe... sounds good!

Here you go. The original recipe calls for rendering the fat out of salt
pork and using it to cook the mushrooms stems, i substitute about 3 tbs.
of canola oil.

However, i have used bacon, sauté the bacon (3 large thick strips) and
reserve about 3 tbs. of the fat to cook the mushroom stems. Then cut
the bacon into large dice and sprinkle over the top of the dish. While
this is not bad, its a little too rich for my taste and i also think the
bacon tends to distract from rather than complement the cheese and
mushroom.

Baked mushrooms in cheese sauce

8 large mushrooms

3 tbs. canola oil

2 cups béchamel or white sauce

1 cup grated romano cheese

1/3 cup finely minced green onions

1 & 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs

1 - 2 cloves crushed garlic

1 tsp. dried oregano

remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop coarsely/

Add the chopped mushrooms stems & garlic to the canola oil and cook till
stems are soft, set aside.

Combine the béchamel and 3/4 cup cheese, stirring until the cheese is
melted. Stir in the green onions and the chopped mushrooms & 1/2 the
oregano. Arrange the mushroom caps, round side down, in a 9 & 1/2 inch
shallow baking dish, then pour the cheese sauce over all. Sprinkle the
bread crumbs over the cheese sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese &
oregano evenly over the bread crumbs. Bake in a preheated 350 F degree
oven for about 20 minutes or until the topping is browned.

Parmesan or any hared cheese may be substituted for the romano cheese.
---
JL

hammer wrote:
> just some more info in the header, thanks again in advance

Broccoli, cooked until tender-crisp. I like to mix mine with the
scalloped potatoes--
one of the few foods I will eat mixed. Normally I'm like a
five-year-old about my
food "touching".

I suppose you could butter the broccoli, but with the rich potatoes and
salty ham,
I'd keep it simple.

Cindy Hamilton