It's here! New Dura-Ace 7900!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tech72, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Do ya like the non compatibility of 7900 levers and 7800 derailleurs?
    Velonews says they are compatible, but Cyclingnews and the brief from Portland NAHMBS said no.

AND remember manufacturer's 'claims' are just that. A slice of marketing and should be taken with a cup of salt.

3. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

Wow, I can hardly wait(neither can my wife) to mortgage the house and upgrade...only to be passed by the same guys who pass me now in our club races!:eek:

4. Russ Reynolds

Russ Reynolds New Member

Looks quite smart. The brakes look about the most improved part. I have just looked at the weight table of the last bike I built with Dura Ace 7700 gear. Looks like for me to change over from 7700 to 7900 would only save me under 90gms. They admit that Campy and SPAM still beat it on weight, so I'm guessing the design brief was performance related rather than weight.

I'll be keen to see who is running with it in the TDF.

5. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Wow, what bitter cynicism. Instead of commenting on its technical aspects or performance (or lack of), you harp on its cost with a snide remark. Do most people on this forum really need bikes worth thousands of dollars or high priced parts and accessories? Likely not, most are probably enthusiasts with a healthy disposable income who may do a bit of club racing on the side. But it sure is nice to have and ride the high rent stuff if you can afford it. If your station in life doesn't allow the high end stuff, then live with it.

Buy a bike from Walmart and be happy or take the bus man.

6. huboon

huboon New Member

Even bitterer cynicism. And not even a smiley face to offset it.

7. JTE83

JTE83 Member

The crank is ugly. Now 7800 stuff will be cheap on ebay!

8. Rochefan

Rochefan New Member

cyclingweekly reported that Campag are going to bring out an 11 speed for next year. Thinner chain and sprockets. Why buy Dura-Ace 7900 when it will be out of date the following year cos 11 will be the new 10

9. gemship

gemship New Member

what do you expect. He posted a newsflash in the hopes that others would reciprocate the love. Little did he know that this forum is filled with campy huggers :p

I think the new group looks great and would be a nice addition to my Cervelo unfortunately I already have Ultegra SL and like it a lot. More than I will ever need.Plus it looks awesome in my opinion right up there with the best.

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Well, the proof will be in the pudding ...

If the new Shimano shifter design can finally handle downshifting when under load as easily as Campagnolo's shifters can then the current "engineering" change will have been worth the effort EVEN IF the change was mostly due to expired patents ... Shimano's & other's!

If the new shifters still don't work as well as Campagnolo's then choosing to buy the new Shimano DA group (or, parts of ... or, derivative Ultegra/105 groups) will be a matter of cosmetic preference OR brand loyalty ... nothing wrong with EITHER of those reasons.

BUT, IMO, it's probably not worth salivating over the new DA components until the jury returns unless you are a Shimano-only weight weenie (is that an oxymoron?).

11. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

One thing I noticed that I like is the broader range of cassette choices, but I hope those choices will filter down to the lower levels of Shimano. I suppose it doesn't really matter to me since I already use a SRAM 11-28, which seems to give me a fairly broad range in a variety of terrains.

12. Peter@vecchios

If that's true(I am sceptical as there have been no sightings of it in the peolotons in Europe), I wonder if it'll be close to shimano/scram 10s spacing.

13. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I continue to run into more and more posts of the new Campagnolo 'Super' Record, 11 speed, all titanium nuts and bolts. Apparently to be made available in September/October.

It is not clear to me if this is good viral marketing/internet falsehood or something based in reality...

14. Rochefan

Rochefan New Member

This is from cyclingweekly.co.uk in their Tech section. I had a look at weightweenies but couldn't find the brochure page they are talking about. If true it would be a great coup over Shimano and put a big doubt in peoples mind about buying the new Dura Ace if they know in a years time it will be upgraded to 11 speed.
    Though there hasn't been any reported sightings in the pro bunch, its possible if using similar looking levers for a narrower chain and sprockets to be missed.

If a 2009 brochure page leaked on weightweenies.com is to be believed, Campagnolo has added another sprocket to its cassettes to take them up to 11 speed.

With Shimano in the final stages of testing it's prototype Dura Ace electronic groupset, and with a new prototype mechanical groupset being spotted on pro bikes, Campagnolo has been quiet save for the few test riders using its developmental electronic groupset.

But it seems the Italian company has now stolen a march on Shimano yet again and beaten them to market with a new groupset that includes that all important extra gear.

The spec sheet for the 2009 Bora Ultra II wheelset confirms that it will be 9 / 10 and all importantly 11 speed compatible. This makes us think that in the great tradition of Campagnolo, there is backward compatibility with existing cassette bodies being used.

This means the sprockets and spacers need to be thinner to fit the extra sprocket onto the same free hub body, along with the chain getting narrower. Speculation on the internet mentions chain widths of 5.5mm (currently 5.9mm) with sprocket widths of 1.5mm with 2.2mm spacers.

It's still unclear as to whether or not the design of the Ergopower hoods is set to change, as nothing has so far been spotted on any pro bikes. However new lever shapes are being tested by Campag as part of its new electronic shifting system and were recently featured in Cycling Weekly.

Electronic shifting should have very little effect on lever shape so maybe Campagnolo is going for the third shape of Ergopower shifters in its lifetime? This could mean that the internal shifting mechanics are not interchangeable with current 9 or 10 speed.

It has previously been simple enough to perform home upgrades from 8 speed to 9 and 10, so an 11 speed shifter may be aesthetically similar to the current ones.

New lever shapes might explain why the 'Limited Edition' Pro shifters came out this year; what better way to shift stock that will be obsolete next year than to rebrand it and label it 'Pro use only'! An announcement from the Italian company is expected next month.

15. Russ Reynolds

Russ Reynolds New Member

Nah. I've decided to wait for .....

[​IMG]

Shimano's electric version supposably due the end of this year.

Electric gear shifting. The way of the future.

16. Peter@vecchios

8s to 9, yes, Not possible to convert a 8s lever to 10s.

'
    Red' shifters are identical except for right springs only. I have them for sale locally in Boulder for $10 per spring(need 2).

17. Peter@vecchios

Right, get that multimeter out to find out why it ain't workin!!

18. Dietmar

Dietmar New Member

Yep, I really don't understand why people would be interested in electric shifting. Anybody know? All you get is maybe an additional pound of weight for the battery and actuators, and a couple more points of potential failure. What do we gain for this? Seems to me that mechanical shifting works just fine...

19. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

For bragging rights maybe?

20. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

How about front and rear electric shifting a clever control algorithm driven from your power meter. Turn your bike into a rolling erg where you dial in the power range you want to hold and your bike shifts in an attempt to keep you there.

Nope, not serious but it's about all I can come up with. Shifter cables are simple, light, reliable, easy to service. Can't figure out why you'd want electric shifting.....

-Dave
    P.S. Seems like we've been down the electric shifting path before, wasn't it Mavic that had an electric system in the early '90s?