It's killing me but..........

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Sillyoldtwit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Thanks very much to lanierb and dhk2 for your excellent advice. Have taken on board the comments and suggestions you both made, and shall implement them in the next session on the torture rack and see what transpires.
    Cheers! Tyson

2. ctgt

ctgt New Member

If you really want road feel, I'd use the 3D mode more often. I've tried the ergometer mode, but didn't like it.

For calibration, I leave my press-on in the 2-2.2 range most of the time, but increase it a bit when doing a climbing course. I usually re-calibrate every couple of minutes until the # stays constant. (ie: I start my workout, pause after a minute, hit F3 and calibrate, continue on, and repeat). That way I "count" all my distance (the 10 minutes @150W was always my least favourite part of using my CT).

My CT 2008 TDF update: After 62 km on Tuesday, I'm 92 km into Stage 6. I have two Cat 2 climbs coming up soon.

3. kopride

kopride Member

This doesn't make me want to give up my Powertap and fluid trainer one bit. For me, I clamp the rear wheel, make contact between the rear wheel and the drum, turn on the fan, clip in, and go. And I get power readings when I unclamp the bike and take it on the road as well. Zero out the torque every once in a while and it seems pretty reliable. Minutes fiddling with a machine are minutes not working out. For us that like to keep our total time away from the family hovering at an hour, not having to fiddle around with the set up for ten or 15 minutes is nice.

I like to keep the bike in a gear that lets me keep RPMs between 80-110 during the target ranges (unless I'm trying to simulate a hill). The mph is usually staying above 19 during any interval work if not in the low to mid twenties.

4. lanierb

lanierb New Member

There's a lot of commenting on the CT here from people that don't own them, and these people are making it out to be much worse than it is. There really isn't much more fiddling with the CT than with the PT/fluid trainer. Either way you want to zero out the torque after a little bit of warmup. On the CT I do it once, about 8-10 mins into the workout. I zero out the PT at the same time. If your last ride was outside you have the additional hassle of putting the bike in the stand, cranking down the flywheel to your rear wheel, and hooking up the cables, but most of that you would also have to do with a fluid trainer

People also seem to be quite concerned about the accuracy of the CT. As far as that is concerned, it is quite consistent over time, but not necessarily perfectly accurate. (It tends to make a consistent amount of error, where the error depends on what wheel/tire you use with it.) Consistency is all that matters for training purposes though, and the error isn't very big, around 5% or so I find.

5. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

The problem is as I said before, I have a Mac. Am still considering installing "CrapWindowscomeonvirustrojan" on my nice iMac so I can use the 3D mode - agonising decision! :D Thanks for the advice though ctgt. Tyson

PS. Imagine 3D on the new 27" iMac with it's superb crystal clear screen. Ah - dreaming.

6. kopride

kopride Member

I wasn't bashing the CT and from everything I've read, it looks like a great tool. If money were no object for me, I would have the PT and a CT; for boredom relief indoors, it looks like the CT really is great. And, from my brief encounter with one, it doesn't let you let up if you start to zone out a bit.

On my list of optimum conditions, in order of preference:

First, moving to a cycling friendly area that has no traffic, and the weather is always a beautiful sunny 68F. Oh, and I am independently wealthy where I don't have to worry about work commitments interfering, and a ft nanny so that I can ride without my better half complaining that I'm sticking her with the kids for hours; And my riding buddies basically just wait around until I call them and decide to ride the exact same workout at the same target wattages that I am doing. Oh, and none of us ever gets flats, encounter stray dogs, or have to deal with crazy angry motorists. And a professional mechanic just stops by at perfect times to keep my bike in perfect tune.

Second, a dedicated indoor trainer that keeps power and is interactive and web enabled plus a high end bike fixed with a PT; (The nanny and extra time would still be nice)

Third, my PT equipped bike (Litespeed) on a fluid trainer in front of a fan and TV and living in area that gets just a bit less crappy weather than Seattle but is generally colder so I am stuck inside for months at a time.(No nanny and 60 hour work weeks the norm so sometimes I'm stuck riding indoors late at night even in great weather).

Unfortunately, lacking the First and Second, I have to be happy with the Third.

7. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

After this morning's workout on the CT, I think thanks are once again in order.

First, thanks again to RapDaddyo for getting me started on this crazy trail, and thanks once more to all the guys who encouraged and advised me along the way. And yes, thanks to the guys who criticised my figures and made me have a rethink on the Computrainer - a rethink which took far too long unfortunately.:(

Fast forward one year; thanks again to lanierb who offered advice on how to get the best out of the trainer, and finally to dhk2 who offered similar advice to lanierb and put the final piece of the jigsaw in place - "higher gear and ride at 20mph".

Fast forward to this morning. After 5 minutes warmup at 150 @ 22mph, set the press-on force to 2.7lbs. Then banged the wattage up in steps to 250W, maintaing 20-22mph.
    Finally the real test.
    Remembering RD's advice of not being too ambitious and therefore ruining the workout, I settled for 200W - covered up the timer with insulating tape and went for it!

At 21/22mph, gone was the squeaking noise from the rear wheel slipping, 'arrived' was the feeling of being out on the road and it felt very comfortable. When I stopped (could have gone on) I had done 36 minutes. 5 minute warmdown and finish.

Not a bad session, but it will take a bit of time to get used to the totally unforgiving nature of the CT - you just can't relax for more than 1 pedal stroke.

Will up it next workout to 210Watts; I expect once I get used to the trainer again the wattage should climb fairly rapidly.

300Watts?? Who knows!!;) Tyson

8. lanierb

lanierb New Member

Nice job Tyson. The key is to keep it up so starting easy is good.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Moot point. When your eyes are stinging with sweat you won't notice the 'clarity'. You could buy a PC and a bigger screen for less...

... but whatever tickles your fancy.

10. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

Thought I'd pop back in this thread after loooong time absence. Good news Tyson! I might be back in Japan at the end of next summer.

11. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Wow! A blast from the past. Nomad, how ya doing?

If you do come back to Japan, we'll definitely have to get together for a ride. If all goes well, I should be back at 300W FTP and be able to stay with you for at least the first 100 metres.:rolleyes:

Tyson

12. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

Doing exceptionally well. I'm really hoping to be back in Iwakuni(Hiroshima area) next year by this point. Good to see you're still plugging away! My "other forums" just did an overhaul of their site and totally wrecked it. So, I'm back here for the forseeable future too :)

13. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Since you were last in Japan, we've bought a house at the foot of the mountains complete with guest room and you're welcome to come up (with your bike) and stay for a day or 2. Have got a good 100km course with lots of nasty climbs. Mind you, if you do come at the end of next summer, I shall be 68 years old, so go easy on the old codger. :D

14. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Suffered a bit of a setback!:(
    Two weeks ago I collided heavily with a pedestrian doing about 20mph on my shopping bike (downhill:)) I thought there was enough space between the old geyser and the hedge to squeeze through, but when he saw this missile coming at him he froze and my elbow banged his shoulder spinning him round 180 degrees. He fell on the side of his head, but luckily not too serious an injury.
    As for me, I went flying into the hedge at 20mph breaking my nose and losing a couple of pints of blood. Fully recovered now from 2 black eyes etc. and have been out 3 times this week.
    We're still having unseasonal mildish weather so am out on the road, not the CT.
    Still wearing my bib shorts with lots of vaseline smeared on the old calves just in case, but I figure, if vaseline keeps out the cold for the English Channel swimmers, then it should be good enough for my calves.:D
    Will report again as soon as I get back on the trainer. Tyson

15. cyclissimo

cyclissimo New Member

Yes, very lucky for you.

Dude, you realize that what you did is no different than a car running you off the road while riding the shoulder because the driver 'thought' there was enough room to squeeze by? Hitting pedestrians while riding your bike is serious ****. What the hell were you thinking?

16. Granth

Granth New Member

Wow you are a legend but watch out for elderly Japanese pedestrians they are hazardous!!! Glad to hear that you are recovered OK. I am new to this forum and I have to say it is inspirational. I have read the entire 207 pages in the last week (yeah I have too much spare time) and learnt an immense amount.
    I have recently purchase one of those flash red plastic bikes and am dismayed to learn that the first 100w you get for nothing coz thats about all I've got, still only one way to go......up

I have only had time to read all of this coz I'm not fit enough to ride more and read less - actually recovering from some nasty surgery and bought the bike to get fit
    I used to ride poorly about a century ago but loved it so now i'm back into it.

Keep up the posts it helps keep me going.

PS have been to Japan many times, last visit last year to Tokyo and Otaru - great place:D

17. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Well, I'll tell you what I was thinking. After entering the cycle path in which the old guy was strolling in, I thought he would move into the pedestrian path and if he didn't I could still get through. In Nagoya there are hundreds of crossroads (intersections to those across the pond); on every crossing one third of the path across the road is clearly marked with large white cycles painted on the road. The pedestrians have two thirds of the path width across to themselves, so where do they walk - yes, in the bloody cycle lane. Safety is a two way thing, pedestrians have to obey the rules or else get run down by shopping bikes as they do everyday in Nagoya. When it comes to cyclists and cars, cyclists too have to be careful not to stray across the path of approaching cars as if they are immortal.

Having said all this, hell, like possibly many cyclists on this forum, yeah sure I'm a bit rambo on occasion.
    It's this rambo mentality which allows you to hurtle down a steep road at 60kph plus on a brittle piece of metal weighing a few pounds. **** I love it, the wind, the whirr of the tyres and the danger, even at my age. The same mentality comes into play when you get on the trainer. TO HELL WITH THE PAIN AND HURT Get the cycling playlist in iTunes going and I'm quite insane.:D

No offense taken cylissimo, I know I should be more careful and slow down a bit - as my wife always says, "Why do you have to ride so fast"? ;)

18. lanierb

lanierb New Member

Sorry to hear that Tyson. Hope you heal well. Keep us posted.

19. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Hi Granth and welcome to the forum. I was amazed when someone once said they had read 100 pages or so, but 207 pages:eek: Anyway, glad you derived some inspiration from this thread, because that's the whole point of it. Mind you, I don't think I'm inspiring many people at the moment. This week 3 days of rain are forecast so shall be back on the CT and heading towards 250 Watts - slowly.;)
    At the back of my mind I'm thinking about reaching 70 in 2012 and contemplating a 200 mile solo ride to some relatives of my wife who live in a beautiful spot on the Inland Sea of Japan. By that time I want an FTP of over 300 Watts and weigh no more than 69 Kilograms. I know it can be done with hard work on the Computrainer and walking past Mister Donuts.:D

20. Granth

Granth New Member

Hi Sillyoldtwit
    well i'm currently 89kg (was 103kg) before my surgery. I have also read Alex posts with interest as I have some challenges as well and you guys help heaps. Went for a ride today that was a personal best since hospital and using this Bike Calculator have worked out I am good for about 125W for 30mins so not too different from where you started. My goal is 200W and ride a century (metric 100km) sometime in 2010. I will be starting chemo soon so that will get in the way but I still think I can achieve this...keep the info coming as I have plenty of time to read!!