It's killing me but..........

Sillyoldtwit said:
At the back of my mind I'm thinking about reaching 70 in 2012 and contemplating a 200 mile solo ride to some relatives of my wife who live in a beautiful spot on the Inland Sea of Japan. By that time I want an FTP of over 300 Watts and weigh no more than 69 Kilograms. I know it can be done with hard work on the Computrainer and walking past Mister Donuts.:D

I like the attitude, Tyson. The CT is a good choice. I wouldn't give mine up for anything short of a Velodyne, if they ever release the new model.

I see that my absence has been noted, so I guess I should give you guys a little update. I have been and continue to be pretty jammed up with projects, most of which make my head hurt. And, most of my projects are still confidential so I can't share a lot yet. But, I have been hard at work inventing several products, both technical and non-technical.

When I have had time, I have continued to tinker with some cycling projects. I was intrigued with several post-ride analytical problems, so I have written C++ programs to solve them. I have a pretty slick program that parses ride files into time and TSS by training level from basically any training schema. I have a program that identifies and quantifies anaerobic efforts (matches). This is particularly interesting because I believe that most cyclists get "dropped" due to the ride's demands on their anaerobic capacity as opposed to the ride's cumulative NP. And anaerobic power is kind of cool because it regenerates and the regeneration model is complex. My current thinking is that there are two components, one with about a 60sec regeneration half-life and the other with about a 4hr regeneration half-life. I think in my case it's about a 90/10 split. But, curiously, this issue hasn't been researched (to my knowledge). I'd love to put together a good research study on this topic.

I am also building a pretty cool cycling club website. So far, I have only tackled the piece that presents information on routes and climbs, but it's pretty cool. If you want to check it out, send me a PM and I'll send you the link and password.

As to my training, I've sort of redefined my primary training goal from 60min MP (Functional Threshold Power or FTP) to 120min MP or what I call Functional Race Power (FRP). Why? Because I found through experience that there was too large of a gap between my 60MP and 120MP. Most of my target events are ~2hrs, so I care a lot more about my 2hr power than my 1hr power. The main change I made was to start doing 2hr constant power rides on my CompuTrainer. I have to say that these are brutal. When I first started doing them, I thought the 2 hrs would never end. I came up with about 100 excuses to quit early ("Don't I have to be somewhere now?" or "Oh, is that my phone ringing?"). But, eventually I got used to them and now they are a crucial part of my training. I now consider these rides the acid test of my fitness. If I have one goal, it is to record my first ever 2hrs at 300W. I think I need to be on drugs. No, I'm not talking about EPO. I mean serious drugs, as in mind-altering drugs.

I have not given up on my Ant+ Sport handlebar computer. The software algorithms are basically ready to go, but I have held up on a hardware platform due to the cost of building a custom platform. For a while, I thought I might be able to use the Quarq platform, but they have tabled it to work on the spider. That may still work out in the future. In the meantime, I am anxiously awaiting the availability of an Ant+ Sport dongle currently under development for the Apple iPhone. I'll have to adapt my code to the iPhone because I make use of some C++ stuff that may not be available in Apple's more simplistic objective-C development environment and I'll have to learn the iPhone API, but I think it's worth it to get an on-bike version working. My goal is for my computer to be banned for competitive events because it gives the rider too much of an advantage.:D

From time to time, I am asked about my indoor training environment (aka torture chamber). So, I wrote it up. The writeup is attached. I guess the unique parts are my custom aerobar setup and my custom torque wrench setup for setting press-on force. And maybe the digital metronome for cadence. I also attached a few recent photos. As you can see, I still enjoy climbing.

Glad to see this forum is still about serious cycling, with some outstanding advice. I'll try to check in from time to time.

Cheers,
RD

Tyson, welcome back. Long time no see. I'm sure the power will come back in no time. There's always racing across the pond here in Korea if you're interested. :)

Rapdaddyo, I was looking at your training room specs and noticed you want the Rock and Roll. I actually tried it over the weekend at the Seoul Bike show (had a crowd around me...quite embarrassing really!). I've been wanting one for the similar purpose of sprints in winter. After trying it out, I think it does have nice, natural resistance...and enough that you can do sprints. But I have to say that I didn't really like the 'Rock and Roll' feature. It isn't a natural feeling at all (like when you really sprint outdoors, each pedal stroke makes the bike lunge and move in synergy with the pumping arms). But on the Rock and Roll, there's none of that. Sure you can pump your arms, but it's really funky and different...not connected with the action of the legs.

I think if I do get a Kurt, it'll just be the Pro (with the giant flywheel add on). Sure, you can't throw the bike during sprints, but you can't really do it the right way with the Rock and Roll either. But it still has that sweet resistance unit for doing just about any kind of riding needed.

Just my two cents....

Bailsibub said:
Rapdaddyo, I was looking at your training room specs and noticed you want the Rock and Roll. I actually tried it over the weekend at the Seoul Bike show (had a crowd around me...quite embarrassing really!). I've been wanting one for the similar purpose of sprints in winter. After trying it out, I think it does have nice, natural resistance...and enough that you can do sprints. But I have to say that I didn't really like the 'Rock and Roll' feature. It isn't a natural feeling at all (like when you really sprint outdoors, each pedal stroke makes the bike lunge and move in synergy with the pumping arms). But on the Rock and Roll, there's none of that. Sure you can pump your arms, but it's really funky and different...not connected with the action of the legs. I think if I do get a Kurt, it'll just be the Pro (with the giant flywheel add on). Sure, you can't throw the bike during sprints, but you can't really do it the right way with the Rock and Roll either. But it still has that sweet resistance unit for doing just about any kind of riding needed.
Bailsibub, you're in good company. Within a few hours of posting my bike room specs, you're the 2nd good rider who has weighed in against the Rock and Roll KK. I'm going to scratch it and stay with my Tacx Swing. Anyway, the Tacx is nice and compact and it's the trainer I take to races for warmup. The flywheel is not as heavy as the KK, but it works for my main purpose -- L7s. I can set the resistance so that I can do ~150W in my smallest gear and then use my largest couple of gears for max efforts >1000W.
Anyway, now I'll put that money toward my next bike room acquisition, an altitude simulation rig. I have looked at the commercial units, but a few months ago I happened to go on a ride with another local cyclist (Cat1) who is also an engineer. We got to talking and I learned that he had built his own device. So, with his help, I have decided to do what he did and build my own. I'm really intrigued with the benefits of high altitude training. I think it's legal EPO. I also want to build my own handlebar computer for the CT (on the iPhone platform). Some of my CT workouts have frequent power changes (e.g., 600W for 6secs every 30secs) and I like to know when those off-the-saddle pushes are coming. So, I want a handlebar computer display with three pieces of data - current power and remaining duration, next power and duration, and next after that power and duration. Sort of a preview of coming attractions. I like to be off my saddle (physically and mentally) when the resistance goes >500W. So, I have plenty of bike room things to spend my time and money on. Thanks for the input.

rapdaddyo,

Which thumbnail is the most recent picture of you?

I have been in the Vegas area and you look familiar but the pictures seem to differ a bit between each one.

-js

jsirabella said:
rapdaddyo,

Which thumbnail is the most recent picture of you? I have been in the Vegas area and you look familiar but the pictures seem to differ a bit between each one.
-js
The most recent pic is the 3rd one, but it was taken last March with a winter "tan" at the end of a hard ride. The others are about 2 yrs old taken in early September with a full summer tan. The 1st two are Mt. Charleston, one of my favorite rides.

Thanks to those who read my bike room specs. A couple of people advised against the KK Rock and Roll trainer, so it's now off the list. Also, I forgot to discuss my bike fitting jig. Maybe some others can benefit from this cool little tool for checking bike fit. Attached is the new writeup.

gman0482 said:
That is a beautiful piece of work RDO. I wish I had enough room. :eek:
Thanks, gman. I'll have to post a video in the new year, riding my CT with my iPhone handlebar computer, wearing my altitude simulator mask and bashing my brains out to the sounds of some classic rock.:p

haha sweet, I hope and pray to be anywhere near your lifestyle someday, it would be nice. :cool:

gman0482 said:
haha sweet, I hope and pray to be anywhere near your lifestyle someday, it would be nice. :cool:
I'm sure you will. The last of my 5 children has one more semester of college (SMU). Given that they all went to a private high school, that's 40 years of private education. At about $40K/year (in today's dollars), it's amazing how much discretionary income that chews up. The day after his graduation, I'm going to treat myself to a new climbing bike. I don't want to disclose how much (or little) it will weigh, but it will be light. I don't know what is going to cost more, the frame or the THM-Carbones components. I look forward to next September's Mt. Charleston Hill Climb.;)

Since we're sharing, here's my set up:

IMG_0255-1.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Coach RapD, I was never around during this mega thread. So heres my big chance to ask you questions! Like lotsa people though I was pointed to it & read (most of it!!!). So consider me yet another grateful newbie, 6-months of cycling, power trainee for this thread. Your programme & the OP's hard work got some hella good results. I do have one question. Seems you were a big fan of L4-L7 w/o any L-L3 goals or targets.

RapDaddyo said:
I'm glad you asked because I am frequently misquoted on this topic. I discount L1-L3 for the purpose of increasing power, either aerobic efficiency, VO2MAX, AWC or neuromuscular. However, I view L1-L3 as good for increasing endurance. I never have any specific goals for weekly L1-L3 time (i.e., all of my training objectives are stated in terms of total time in L4-L7), but inevitably it accounts for about half of my training time because I find it difficult to get my L4-L7 time > 50% of total time. Why? Warmups, cooldowns, recovery durations and group rides. When I analyze my ride time, I don't even differentiate between L1, L2 and L3. It just goes in a bucket called "other." Why? Because I don't care about the breakdown.

Now a few posts back you said 120MMP is your new focus. Makes sense, races save for crits are usually 2ish hours. Does that mean your training philosophy & m.o. have changed? Do you plan to do more tempo & if .75-.9 rides or stick with the high L4+ volume ? I asked & got good info from the smart guys here ( thanks daveryan, steve, coach alex, frenchyge, others) what they think - curious what your view on a training approach is nowadays.

I have made modest progress (210+ watt FTP :eek: ) with losta L4 + some tempo work, so I am a fan of your old approach. Always hoping to get new ideas & feedback though! :D:D:D:D

Last thing....do you still like breaking L4's into 10 minute chunks when riding new/higher power levels??? Saw that you thought this was good for the mind/body to relax & get used to the new level.

DancenMacabre said:
I do have one question. Seems you were a big fan of L4-L7 w/o any L-L3 goals or targets.
Correct. I never have L1-L3 goals or targets. Naturally, I get lots of L1-L3 time, especially on the road. But, I never have a daily, weekly, monthly or annual goal of L1-L3 time.
DancenMacabre said:
Now a few posts back you said 120MMP is your new focus. Makes sense, races save for crits are usually 2ish hours. Does that mean your training philosophy & m.o. have changed? Do you plan to do more tempo & if .75-.9 rides or stick with the high L4+ volume?
No, I try to do my 2hr constant power rides at the bottom end of L4 ~91%FTP. But, if I'm a little low but still in the "sweet spot," that's okay too. The main change in my training program is that I realized I wasn't doing any long, sustained high-intensity training rides and this showed up in my race results. I had great 1hr power, but my power fell off a cliff in the 2nd hour. I first noticed this in training for the Mt. Charleston Hill Climb, which is about a 1:40-2:00 ride depending on conditions and fitness.
My basic philosophy remains the same. I target specific adaptations with L4-L7 efforts. I vary the mix of L4-L7 efforts based on the demands of upcoming target events. I perform best with a huge base of L4 work. The only change is that I never used to do long, sustained high-intensity training rides (e.g., 2 hrs). Now I do, regularly.
DancenMacabre said:
Last thing....do you still like breaking L4's into 10 minute chunks when riding new/higher power levels??? Saw that you thought this was good for the mind/body to relax & get used to the new level.
Yes. I use two techniques to move up to a new level. One is to shorten the duration and do more repeats. Second is to break an effort into two parts with the last part at my new target intensity. Let's say I think I'm ready to move up from 270W to 280W for my L4s. I would ride the first 15mins of a 20min L4 effort at 270W, then ramp up to 280W for the last 5mins. If that goes well, I will add 5mins at a time to the end until I am doing the entire 20mins at 280W. I prefer that to starting off at 280W and realizing 10mins into the effort that I was overly ambitious.

frenchyge said:
RapDaddyO! Glad to see you're still doing well! :D
Thanks, G. I'd be doing better if you'd come out here and ride Mt. Charleston with me. You guys grow any mountains out there recently, or do you still consider overpasses to be "climbs.":D

I'm waitin' until you get your Lake Meade overpass completed so I can add it to my epic overpass riding resume.

I burned a lot of family matches getting out to the CA Death Ride last year, but sadly wasn't fit to ride. :(