It's killing me but..........

A couple of laughs in there RD. You feel uncomfortable with my username!?!?:rolleyes: Shouldn't it be me who feels uncomfortable? OK I will now be known as Sillyoldtwit alias Tyson. (not Mike) And thanks for giving me the day off tomorrow.:) I was already psyched up for another hard day, but I'll take your advice and take it easy.

Incidentally, I didn't mention that before I ever get on the bike in the gym, I do an hours upper body work. (never touch the legs - I leave that to the bike)
I know this is not a bodybuilding forum, but I train like a lot of bodybuilders these days, that is, in one session I train one large muscle group and 1 small.
Tomorrow for example, I shall do all back work and finish off with working on the triceps.

Just one more thing - with regard to recovery, I base my recovery duration on the things I learned in my running days. So after 10 minutes at L4 say, I start the next 10 minutes when my pulse has returned to 120 (one and a half mins approx)
We also used to do anaerobic intervals on a Thursday night which consisted of a 70 yard sprint building up in intensity til you crossed the line (when you were flat out) then a 6 second recovery and off again x 12. This training made our team one of the top teams in England over a 10 mile course.
However, I digress; back on the bike.;)

Sillyoldtwit said:
A couple of laughs in there RD. You feel uncomfortable with my username!?!?:rolleyes:
Yeah. You're not silly. Who am I to call you old? And, where I come from twit is not a flattering term. I still like Sly, but I'll go with Tyson.

Sillyoldtwit said:
Incidentally, I didn't mention that before I ever get on the bike in the gym, I do an hours upper body work.
That's good for getting the chicks.:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
Just one more thing - with regard to recovery, I base my recovery duration on the things I learned in my running days. So after 10 minutes at L4 say, I start the next 10 minutes when my pulse has returned to 120 (one and a half mins approx)
For L4 intervals it really doesn't matter, since it's mainly of psychological value. You already know you can ride for an hour at FT pace, so why should you need much of a rest after, say, 20 minutes? The important thing is how many minutes at L4 pace, not the duration or power of the recovery segment.

RapDaddyo said:
Now, about this cadence bogie. If you don't change gears (or resistance on a trainer), cadence corresponds to power and HR varies directly with cadence and hence power. This is to be expected and is why HR can be useful to manage intensity. But, if you hold power constant and change gears you will have a different cadence with each gear. Under this scenario, HR will be highest at the highest cadence, yet power is constant. This is the reason HR is not so useful to manage intensity. :

Using the information you've just mentioned one can also see that at a higher HR the cardiovascular stress is probably higher and sometimes that is a desired part of the intended training. For example, one can rest the legs a bit by using some higher cadences that will continue to stress some aspects of the CV system. Particularly useful for days after hard training, when approaching a peak, or doing a taper.

RapDaddyo said:
There is no "right" cadence. You should find the cadence at which you can ride at a given power (e.g., 130w) with the least perceived effort and ignore HR. HR is only one physiological response to increased intensity of effort and does not even fully measure the cardio response because it doesn't measure stroke volume.:

Actually, at a given workload the increase in HR is probably very much related to changes or limits in stroke volume assuming you're not getting hotter, dehydrated, etc. Depends also on intensity and duration. The cadence to aim at during an interval may need to be highly dependent on how such an effort could be used during a race. Especially for a beginner, a self-selected cadence may not be the best way for them to prepare for their objectives.

I think it's best to look at HR, power, PE together and maybe lean towards one or the other depending on your objectives, and there are some useful ways to incorporate cadence choices within this equation.

This week I've really got into 2 x 20 mins at 120 W as you suggested RD,and they felt awesome as you would say. Between intervals I rested for 5 mins with my HR dropping down to 110 from 140ish. I don't thing I need that much rest, but I took it anyway. I confess to blasting out the last 2 mins of each 20 at 150W with an accelerating cadence to somewhere near 120 at the end.

My question is this - Palewin suggested increasing the workload over a 3 week period with the 4th week's training done at a more leisurely pace. I was considering stepping up to 125/130 W next week. As someone close to my age RD, do you think that step up is about right or would you suggest I stick at the 120 W for a time?

PS I've just read through the 30 second interval thread; this type of interval seems to fit in with the running training I mentioned earlier on in this thread.
Should I be doing something like that occasionally?

Sillyoldtwit said:
This week I've really got into 2 x 20 mins at 120 W as you suggested RD,and they felt awesome as you would say. Between intervals I rested for 5 mins with my HR dropping down to 110 from 140ish. I don't thing I need that much rest, but I took it anyway. I confess to blasting out the last 2 mins of each 20 at 150W with an accelerating cadence to somewhere near 120 at the end.
Awesome!

Sillyoldtwit said:
My question is this - Palewin suggested increasing the workload over a 3 week period with the 4th week's training done at a more leisurely pace. I was considering stepping up to 125/130 W next week. As someone close to my age RD, do you think that step up is about right or would you suggest I stick at the 120 W for a time?
You'll know when to increase power because they will begin to feel "too easy." So, increase by 5-10w to try and retain the same feeling you had originally -- breathing, perspiration, heart rate. And, if your schedule permits, begin to do 3x20s one day a week, especially if the next day is an off day.

Sillyoldtwit said:
PS I've just read through the 30 second interval thread; this type of interval seems to fit in with the running training I mentioned earlier on in this thread. Should I be doing something like that occasionally?
I didn't weigh in on that thread but I consider 30s intervals to be in sort of "no man's land." They're too long for neuromuscular focus and they're too short for optimal VO2MAX focus. You choose an interval duration for a specific targeted adaptation (lactate threshold, VO2MAX or neuromuscular). I'd suggest you stick with your LT (or L4) intervals for the time being. I think that in about a month you will look back at your power for your 20min intervals and will be astonished that you ever rode them at only 120w. And, in 3 months, remember to go easy on the young fellas, especially on the hills!

Sillyoldtwit said:
I saw my name, so its time to chime back in. Your question combines two separate aspects of workload: total time and power level. My "three weeks up, one week down" pattern is very unoriginal; I first saw it mentioned in Friel's "Training Bible", and more relevant to me, its what my CTS coach follows in the schedules he prepares for me. But what changes within a particular cycle is not the power range (i.e. my current L4 is 214-248 watts that stays constant) but the amount of time I spend in the range increases weekly. So in week 1 of the cycle I may total 1 hr 45 min of L4 intervals, in week 2, 2 hr of L4, and in week 3, 2 hr 15 min of L4 intervals. After the easy week, the 1st week of the next cycle might start at 2 hrs of L4 and build from there. I will probably retest my FT power every two months (during the easy week, so that I'm rested), and it's the retest that (hopefully!) results in my raising the entire set of power ranges for the successive cycles. Now to keep this complete, but not turn into a chapter on training (which I'm not qualified to write, anyway) what we change with each cycle is the type of interval. For example, my previous cycle concentrated on what CTS calls "Muscle Tension" intervals, big ring climbing repeats in the mid-L4 power range. The cycle I'm now in (I'm in the 2nd week) concentrates on CTS Tempo intervals, longer big ring low-end-L4 intervals on flat-to-rolling terrain. As we get closer to my real racing season, I know from experience we will have cycles concentrating on shorter L5/L6 intervals. But in each cycle, the power range will stay constant, the total accumulation of time in the range will build from week to week. I think most coaches agree on this basic overall picture. Where they differ is in the types of intervals they prescribe and the total workload. This is one of the ways in which individuality enters the picture.

Thanks once more guys for taking the time out to help a silly old twit.

Oops! Sorry I forgot you don't like that name RD.:rolleyes:

Palewin, I'm going to have to read that a couple more times to take it in, but will come back to you.

RD wrote:

And, if your schedule permits, begin to do 3x20s one day a week, especially if the next day is an off day.
Now I know you are trying to kill me RD!:(

TYSON (as in Mike)

Sillyoldtwit said:
RD wrote:

Now I know you are trying to kill me RD!:(

TYSON (as in Mike)
Yep, that's my secret strategy, kill off everybody in my age group.:D Seriously, you'll know when it's time to add a 3rd 20 when you begin to finish 2x20s and feel like, "Gee, that was nice while it lasted, but too short." Anyway, I want to be sure you get to the top of the hills before that 35yo Sunday riding partner in, say, May. I look forward to your post in a few months when you say, "What a whiner ... all I heard today from my riding partner was, 'Hey, Sly, hold it back a bit, you're killing me.'":cool:

Well, then, add some 2x30 would do the trick. :D At end of the work out, you would tell yourself "my......I thought I would never be able to sustain THAT long...." Time to go home. Work done for the day.

RapDaddyo said:
Yep, that's my secret strategy, kill off everybody in my age group.:D Seriously, you'll know when it's time to add a 3rd 20 when you begin to finish 2x20s and feel like, "Gee, that was nice while it lasted, but too short." Anyway, I want to be sure you get to the top of the hills before that 35yo Sunday riding partner in, say, May. I look forward to your post in a few months when you say, "What a whiner ... all I heard today from my riding partner was, 'Hey, Sly, hold it back a bit, you're killing me.'":cool:

Now I'm really getting into this, I have something that's being puzzling me.
The point of the whole exercise if you remember is to keep up with my young
cycling buddy on the hills. I think it was Palewin (sorry if it wasn't) who said climbing hills is all about body weight and power. Now, on the flat he can't match my speed and struggles badly. I assume this is because I have more power. So on the hills, assuming he doesn't have my power, he is beating me by being smaller in stature and quite a bit lighter. Although he does have a bit of a paunch I have to say (don't know his body fat %).
Taking this to its logical conclusion, it seems by the above formula that his weight difference is greater than my power advantage. Have I got this right?
I can't help feeling that apart from a psycological reason there's something missing in the formula. When I hit a hill, it is as if a tap is turned on and all my energy just drains away. As I mentioned before, not so long ago I did a 7 hour solo ride with only 1 stop to fill my bottles, so it's not a stamina thing.(mostly flat)
Maybe my reasoning is flawed.:confused:

Sillyoldtwit said:
climbing hills is all about body weight and power.
I don't know who said it (in part because you would have gotten the same answer from almost any of the regular contributors on this forum), but you have it right. Cycling is all about overcoming one or more resistances. On the flat, the primary resistance is drag and the second resistance is rolling resistance. On the flat, the things that affect your drag affect speed enormously. The (main) things you have control of are your position on the bike and your wheels and tires. That's why wind affects your speed so much on the flat. As soon as the road tilts up more than a few percent, gravity quickly moves to the top of the resistance list. Obviously, some drag remains but it becomes secondary due to the lower speed. The main reason you need power is to lift the weight of you and your bike vertically. The most commonly used measure for climbing is watts per kilogram. To climb at the same speed, you need to generate the same w/kg as your riding buddy. Let's say that your buddy's weight is 60kg (132lbs) and that he can climb at 150w. So, his w/kg is 2.5 (150/60). Then, let's say your weight is 75kg(165lb). To match his speed, you would need to climb at 187.5w (75*2.5). There are lots of good reasons to lose weight, but this is one more. Lose a few pounds and your goal gets closer. I am in the process of slimming down for race season and my w/kg will go up by about 0.5w/kg as a result. That's huge in races with any major climbs. I put an 8x10 enlargement of the view from the bike of a major local hillclimb (Mt. Charleston) on my refrigerator (see below). I remember how I felt at that exact point in the race last September as I struggled to lift the weight of me and my bike up that mountain. That's all the incentive I need to pass on the extra calories. BTW, if need some help working out the #s to lose weight, try this free site http://www.fitday.com/.

Palewin wrote:

I saw my name, so its time to chime back in. Your question combines two separate aspects of workload: total time and power level. My "three weeks up, one week down" pattern is very unoriginal; I first saw it mentioned in Friel's "Training Bible", and more relevant to me, its what my CTS coach follows in the schedules he prepares for me. But what changes within a particular cycle is not the power range (i.e. my current L4 is 214-248 watts that stays constant) but the amount of time I spend in the range increases weekly. So in week 1 of the cycle I may total 1 hr 45 min of L4 intervals, in week 2, 2 hr of L4, and in week 3, 2 hr 15 min of L4 intervals. After the easy week, the 1st week of the next cycle might start at 2 hrs of L4 and build from there. I will probably retest my FT power every two months (during the easy week, so that I'm rested), and it's the retest that (hopefully!) results in my raising the entire set of power ranges for the successive cycles. Now to keep this complete, but not turn into a chapter on training (which I'm not qualified to write, anyway) what we change with each cycle is the type of interval. For example, my previous cycle concentrated on what CTS calls "Muscle Tension" intervals, big ring climbing repeats in the mid-L4 power range. The cycle I'm now in (I'm in the 2nd week) concentrates on CTS Tempo intervals, longer big ring low-end-L4 intervals on flat-to-rolling terrain. As we get closer to my real racing season, I know from experience we will have cycles concentrating on shorter L5/L6 intervals. But in each cycle, the power range will stay constant, the total accumulation of time in the range will build from week to week. I think most coaches agree on this basic overall picture. Where they differ is in the types of intervals they prescribe and the total workload. This is one of the ways in which individuality enters the picture
Reading through again I realized it was not as complex as I thought.
However, I don't think I'm capable of following that pattern yet. I feel for a while I shoud stick to 2 x 20 and possibly a 3 X 20 on the day before the rest day as RD suggested. Mind you, the day before my rest day, in my case Friday after 3 days of intervals in the gym, I would probably be too tired to do 3X20.
When I cycled to find my FT (1 hour at 130) I was quite fresh, so
3 x 20 at 120 when tired might prove to be nigh on impossible yet. You say you do your intervals at 214 - 248; can't imagine that at the mo. Maybe I've got this wrong, but as I said before I try to do all my intervals at around a cadence of 90 per minute. (which someone told me a long time ago was the figure to aim for). Do you do your figures above at a high cadence or do you slow it down. I think if I slowed it down to 60 say, I could increase my watts considerably.

RD wrote:

don't know who said it (in part because you would have gotten the same answer from almost any of the regular contributors on this forum), but you have it right. Cycling is all about overcoming one or more resistances. On the flat, the primary resistance is drag and the second resistance is rolling resistance. On the flat, the things that affect your drag affect speed enormously. The (main) things you have control of are your position on the bike and your wheels and tires. That's why wind affects your speed so much on the flat. As soon as the road tilts up more than a few percent, gravity quickly moves to the top of the resistance list. Obviously, some drag remains but it becomes secondary due to the lower speed. The main reason you need power is to lift the weight of you and your bike vertically. The most commonly used measure for climbing is watts per kilogram. To climb at the same speed, you need to generate the same w/kg as your riding buddy. Let's say that your buddy's weight is 60kg (132lbs) and that he can climb at 150w. So, his w/kg is 2.5 (150/60). Then, let's say your weight is 75kg(165lb). To match his speed, you would need to climb at 187.5w (75*2.5). There are lots of good reasons to lose weight, but this is one more. Lose a few pounds and your goal gets closer. I am in the process of slimming down for race season and my w/kg will go up by about 0.5w/kg as a result. That's huge in races with any major climbs. I put an 8x10 enlargement of the view from the bike of a major local hillclimb (Mt. Charleston) on my refrigerator (see below). I remember how I felt at that exact point in the race last September as I struggled to lift the weight of me and my bike up that mountain. That's all the incentive I need to pass on the extra calories. BTW, if need some help working out the #s to lose weight, try this free site http://www.fitday.com/.
Thanks RD for your very clear explanation. Sorry but it still seems too cut and dried to me. I feel weight and power is 90+% of it, but I can't help feeling other things come into play on the hills. For example ones physiological makeup - perhaps shorter legs, shape of ones hip bone and lower lumbar region, that is, one's skeletal structure facilitates good climbing ability.
And what about the size of your internal organs, in particular those that come into play in your cardiovascular system. I believe Indurain and Lance were born with larger heart and lungs. Though I suppose having a larger heart and lungs allows you to develop more power, so we come back to the formula of weight and power.

Just so I've got this clear. If hypothetically we have a short man weighing 60 Kilos and tall man weighing 75, and they both do exactly the same training and have developed equal power, (both have 15% body fat say) then on a climb the shorter light man will always outclimb the tall guy. Seems unfair.
To my way of thinking, for your height you shoud have an optimum weight, and if 2 guys (1 short and 1 tall) are both at the same fitness level and optimum weight for their size, they should climb at the same rate as each other. I know you are going to tell me gravity doesn't work that way. It does however, in reverse. A large stone and a tiny stone will fall at the same rate 32feet per sec per sec.

OK tear me to pieces!:)

Sillyoldtwit said:
Sorry but it still seems too cut and dried to me. I feel weight and power is 90+% of it, but I can't help feeling other things come into play on the hills. For example ones physiological makeup - perhaps shorter legs, shape of ones hip bone and lower lumbar region, that is, one's skeletal structure facilitates good climbing ability. And what about the size of your internal organs, in particular those that come into play in your cardiovascular system. I believe Indurain and Lance were born with larger heart and lungs. Though I suppose having a larger heart and lungs allows you to develop more power, so we come back to the formula of weight and power.
Nope, it's all about power and weight. To your bike, you're just an engine with a smile. It doesn't care how you generate power or what you look like or what sex you are or how hold you are. It says, "Show me the power, babe, and don't weigh too much cause I've got to drag your fat body up that hill."

Sillyoldtwit said:
Reading through again I realized it was not as complex as I thought.
However, I don't think I'm capable of following that pattern yet. I feel for a while I shoud stick to 2 x 20 and possibly a 3 X 20 on the day before the rest day as RD suggested. Mind you, the day before my rest day, in my case Friday after 3 days of intervals in the gym, I would probably be too tired to do 3X20.
When I cycled to find my FT (1 hour at 130) I was quite fresh, so
3 x 20 at 120 when tired might prove to be nigh on impossible yet. You say you do your intervals at 214 - 248; can't imagine that at the mo. Maybe I've got this wrong, but as I said before I try to do all my intervals at around a cadence of 90 per minute. (which someone told me a long time ago was the figure to aim for). Do you do your figures above at a high cadence or do you slow it down. I think if I slowed it down to 60 say, I could increase my watts considerably.

:)
Hi SOT! Must admit that in an attempt to be clear, I sometimes use too many words! I quoted my wattage numbers only because "I'm the example I know best." For what its worth, RDO has a much higher FT than I do, so the same numbers that look high to you probably look very low to him. All I was suggesting is that you take a power level you want to work at, and for each week in a "block" increase the total minutes spent at that level. It doesn't have to be in 20 minute increments! If you do 2x20s on each of the 3 days in week 1, in week 2, just make one of the 20s a 25 (or whatever increase doesn't seem too off-putting) so that one day you do a 20min interval, recover, then a 25min interval. Next week make one interval 30 minutes long. What I'm trying to say is find your own way to increase the total minutes a little bit each week, and you will be accomplishing the training stress you're looking for, without thinking of suddenly doing a 3x20 which looks scary.
Your cadence question is trickier, because different coaches have different answers. But mine plays around with cadence, so I have done intervals at the same power level at 55rpm, 75rpm, and 90-100 rpm. His philosophy is that in races you sometimes can't find the optimal gearing, and may find you need to generate power in all these different ranges (for example, climbing where you may not have a gear you can turn at 90rpm). I have also been taught that at higher cadence you spare the legs but load up the cardiovascular system, and lower rpm you reverse that - so if you find yourself gasping for air, sometimes you can recover by pushing a bigger gear at lower cadence for a little while. If nothing else, doing intervals at different cadences breaks down the monotony. But in terms of actual riding and racing, as opposed to specific training intervals, I ride in the 90-100rpm range, just as you do.

Thanks for claryfying things PW. Funny enough in the gym today I found 2 x 20 quite easy and considered adding a few mins on to the last 20. (Didn't but will do in future as you suggest). I don't know if this is possible, but this is the 3rd week now since starting the serious intervals and my HR seems to have dropped considerably. Yesterday I went out on my old sit up and beg bike with no gears
which I only use for going shopping. It's even got a basket on the front and a child seat behind for my 7 year old daughter.:) Anyway, on the small slopes I could feel and generate so much more power than 3 weeks ago. Went up them like a rocket. It's probably wishful thinking and purely my imagination, because I don't want to believe this extra training load isn't have any effect.

PS. 2 weeks ago my FT was 130 but am considering doing 2 x 20 @ 130W from tomorrow. Too soon?

Watch this space, I'm fired up and determined to do 2x20 @200W by this summer. If it doesn't kill me that is! *********** I will be 64 this summer - should be thinking about getting my bus pass not cycling up mountains. Now where's that number for Mrs. Nicklebottom's jam making class.:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
2 weeks ago my FT was 130 but am considering doing 2 x 20 @ 130W from tomorrow. Too soon?
If it's too soon, you won't be able to complete the 2nd 20 at full power. If you don't have to drop your power in the last half of the 2nd 20, it wasn't too soon. What's the worst that can happen -- you short out the trainer by sweating all over the electricals and get kicked out of your health club? So, what's the problem?:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
Watch this space, I'm fired up and determined to do 2x20 @200W by this summer.
I'm going on record -- I say you will do 2x20 at 200w by May 15th!:cool: What's the worst that can happen, since you've already been kicked out of your health club?

RD wrote:

I'm going on record -- I say you will do 2x20 at 200w by May 15th!:cool: What's the worst that can happen, since you've already been kicked out of your health club
I wasn't sure but now I'm positive, you are trying to kill me!;)

PS The sweat dried out and the display came back on - all is forgiven.:)

Have just read the 3 - 4 days thread below, and it seems to make sense to me, especially at my age.

This week I've trained hard (for me ) in the gym Tues/Wed/Thurs 2x20 each day. I think I would be better taking Fri & Sat off before heading for the mountains on Sunday. (approx 2hr 40 min) My legs if nothing else will be fresher
and psycologically I'm sure I'll feel better. After taking next Monday off, it's back to the gym with increased wattage and so on. What do my mentors think?
(RD and Palewin) or if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, I would welcome their opinion.

Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
Have just read the 3 - 4 days thread below, and it seems to make sense to me, especially at my age.

This week I've trained hard (for me ) in the gym Tues/Wed/Thurs 2x20 each day. I think I would be better taking Fri & Sat off before heading for the mountains on Sunday. (approx 2hr 40 min) My legs if nothing else will be fresher
and psycologically I'm sure I'll feel better. After taking next Monday off, it's back to the gym with increased wattage and so on. What do my mentors think?
(RD and Palewin) or if anyone else thinks it's a good idea, I would welcome their opinion.

Tyson
Hey Tyson, glad to hear you're sticking with the 2x20s. They take a fair bit of concentration, so congrats on staying with them. As to the days off, there is no "right" answer in the choice between a day off and an "easy" day of riding at an easy pace. In your case, easy might be up to an hour at a conversational pace. Personally, I prefer to ride longer and harder on my hard days and then take a day off. Others prefer to do an easy ride on a recovery day. Both work. As to increasing your wattage on the 2x20s, I don't advocate doing that on a pre-planned schedule (e.g., 5w/wk). Rather, I advocate increasing power based on feel. When you finish the 2nd 20 and it just didn't feel as hard at the end as it used to, increase the wattage the next time. Some weeks you might not increase power at all. Other weeks you might increase it a couple of steps. But, it's always driven by RPE (rate of perceived exertion), or "feel." The same thing applies to doing a 3rd 20. One day you'll fininsh your 2nd 20 and you'll feel as though you just didn't get much of a workout. So, go for it -- do a 3rd 20.

RapDaddyo said:
As to increasing your wattage on the 2x20s, I don't advocate doing that on a pre-planned schedule (e.g., 5w/wk). Rather, I advocate increasing power based on feel. When you finish the 2nd 20 and it just didn't feel as hard at the end as it used to, increase the wattage the next time. Some weeks you might not increase power at all. Other weeks you might increase it a couple of steps. But, it's always driven by RPE (rate of perceived exertion), or "feel." The same thing applies to doing a 3rd 20. One day you'll fininsh your 2nd 20 and you'll feel as though you just didn't get much of a workout. So, go for it -- do a 3rd 20.

Rap, what is better, to increase the 2x20 wattage or do a 3rd 20min intervals? I am a active racer, sprinter build, bad at time trial power & my goal is to produce more power for a longer period of time, like for TT & break aways. I did those 3x10s twice a week for a month & HR was 179-181 (max is 210) & was hard on the legs, On the 5th week I it felt easy so I then took your advice & did 2x20 at the same wattage, my HR was 165-170,172 it felt awesome to double the time & with lower HR. I started to add a 3rd this week but at 10min mark HR was 180-181, legs were tired, & coordination was struggling.

Since my HR was lower at the same wattage & was able to hold it longer does that mean my 1 hour power went up? Was 220 and I was doing the intervals at 220-230

Thanks for your help