It's killing me but..........

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Sillyoldtwit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. wbkski

wbkski New Member

Isn't the whole objective behind the Q-rotor to take out the "flat" spot in the crank cycle?

2. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

from Rotor:

Rotor Q-Rings do not eliminate the dead-spot (as do Rotor Cranks) but help to reduce its negative effects,moving the legs easier through the dead spot imitating a smaller circular chainring, and enabling the legs to remain in the power stroke for a longer period of time when compared to round chainrings. Q-Rings change the equivalent tooth size by decreasing it before the dead-spots and increasing it when the rider is in the power mode (when more power is available at the pedal down stroke).

3. n crowley

n crowley New Member

You say rotor cranks eliminate the dead spot, what is your understanding of the dead spot and what is meant by eliminating it.

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Another thread bites the dust...

5. n crowley

n crowley New Member

Fear not, I won't be wasting any time here.

6. wbkski

wbkski New Member

I reckoned it to the same idea of a "nautilus" weight machine..remember those? They had the Ovular off-set cam that the belt rested on, which, by their description, kept constant and equal pressure throughout the movement of the active part.

7. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I was thinking about what I liked about this long ongoing thread.......oh yeah......its times like this when someone that has been out there working in the trenches day to day and comes back with improvement based on the starting principles in those first few pages. Then I remembered the last inspiring post pages ago.

Way to go Curlew!

8. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Well had my 1st races this weekend. The one was a pretty big event, with 270 starting in my field. It was not USAC so there were abilities from Cat 5 to pros. Needless to say the first step was to start in front. It was the craziest race I have ever done, dirt and ice covered roads with potholes everywhere. I was on a xbike that I rode twice. I managed to avoid a few early crashes and make the break. I felt great, but went down on some ice 15 miles in and ended up back in the main field. I then went down HARD at mile 50, hit my head pretty hard and was pretty out of it so I had to abandon. If any one is interested YouTube Barry Roubaix Eric Blankenship and there is a 16min video. I am in the red kit with blue Mako on my butt, I nearly get clipped twice @7min and 9.5min. Sunday we had a local race, I ended up in a 3 man break for most of the 50 mile race. We had the strongest headwind EVER on the way back, it was everything the 3 of us could do to maintain a 15mph pace. The one guy dropped with 15 to go and then the other attacked me with about 12 to go. That was the worst 12miles of my life! Having to wait for a ride Saturday after my crash, I didn't get to refuel right away, which I think caused me to bonk the last few miles. By the time I got back to the finish I didn't even know where I was at. In all a great weekend and even better was that by yesterday I felt fully recovered and ready to go!

9. frost

frost New Member

Good going. Sounds grazy and great at the same time!

10. wbkski

wbkski New Member

Is that 296 W average over the hour?

11. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Found the video. Nice work and moves to avoid the mayhem.

12. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

yep, he mentions going an hour at L4.

13. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Big kudos and respect to all of those that train to be competitive in racing.

It is amazing that you guys can put in so much effort and climb the Cat rankings when also juggling a full time job and some having family as well. I am married without kids, work about 50 hours a week and barely get in 9 to 10 quality hours and it does not seem like enough. My limiting factor is time as the first hurdle.

It is great to have a supportive wife and I feel weird because as I am training in the evenings I can hear her in the laundry room throwing my dirty training clothes in the wash. As I am training on the weekends she is home cleaning the house. As I am training she is sitting on the couch alone and she also works overtime to boot. (big kudos to my wife too for supporting me while pursuing something recreational)

I can't imagine throwing kids into the mix that are so dependent on having a healthy relationship with their parents. Between work, training and trying to keep my relationship healthy the clock work is ultra tight (4 am to 10pm) and I am just aspiring to be halfway healthy on a charity ride.

On another note it was nice to see another well known master racer and national champion put in a huge testimony to SST in his comeback over the past months. It is where I feel that I want to continue to pursue day to day. Things are working out much better this year as last year I ramped too quickly for a spring time event and then went into a mid summer slump. This year my CTL ramp rate almost looks flat, but I am fine with that because I am already in better shape compared to last year at this time. Work and weather has been the issue, but oddly it may be a nice natural interference and pulling back of the reigns. I think I am quite content with my structure and training load for the moment. With 91% being the weekday target goal and about 80+ TSS I have been able to stay in the SST target range as a reality I am able to keep going with back to back training structure. There may be different paths to take to get success, but I do like this path personally. It helps that I do not feel rushed to achieve a certain FTP at a certain time. I gladly accept progress even if it comes at a very slow rate.

14. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Yeah, it is really hard to balance things, unfortunately I always feel like the family gets the short end of the stick. I guess it could be worse, I could be at the bar getting drunk. Next season I am actually going to start doing more MTB stuff and eventually just transition to doing one or two weekend stage races a year mixed with some MTB stuff. The MTB stuff is more of an individual type effort/long endurance (think Leadville 100), that is just cool to do regardless the result, so I won't feel the drive to take it so serious. We have local club racing and I will likely do a lot more of that to get my racing "fix". Next season my training will likely be 1hr a day during weekdays and 2-3hrs Saturday and Sundays, just to keep my fitness. I will be switching from weekends spent with the family @ races to weekends spent with the family at the lake and getting my rides in when I can. I really think this will be an important transition for me, not out of being strong on a bike, but to finding more balance.

15. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

IMO - that is a really wise and admirable choice.

It is interesting since I am older and generally cycle with people 50+ and how a number that used to race long ago gave it up when they started family are returning to cycling now that the kids are out of the house. If I am in a familiar group ride that would be the case for about 90% in the group. Many have returned and are improving rapidly. We have a few that will come out on occasion that still have kids at home, but just once in a while because they do not have time to travel out to where we start and then do a 5 hour ride.

16. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

felt, than stuff gets in the way that you can not control. I am in Nashville now and wanted to bring the breakaway. I decided to finally bring it to the shop and get the cables replaced and general rune up. He calls and ofcourse the iPhone does not have the message so when I go to pick it up, he tells me it is not ready. He shows me the bottom bracket and the rust on it. Honestly I do not know enough about that area but it did not look that bad. When do most you folks replace it?

Anyway needless to say I am here in Nashville with no bike and no car and no where do I see a place to cycle.

-john

17. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Florida and now Nashville......on your tour of the nation and you get to Atlanta let me know. I can loan you a bike, but it may be a bit small. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

18. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

felt, thanks for the loaner and when I head to Atlanta I will hit you up but the breakaway should be back to running by than. Yeah the life of a carny man is not an easy one. We do about 30 conventions a year and every holiday weekend pretty much is a new one. This week I could have head to Seattle or Nashville. I decided on Nashville as I was in Seattle a few weeks ago. I like Nashville, there is this place walking distance from the hotel that has better pizza than NYC. I sent the other boys to Seattle.

Anyway time to make some money and pay some bills. We are the modern day vaudeville. There are others who do the same circuit and just live in motel/hotel 9 months out of the year. I have guys who usually do this but this weekend we had too many shows and not enough people. In my younger days, all me..

-john

19. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Js, there is a cool bike shop in Nashville, Gran Fondo Cycles. So I just ordered a new MTB and am having this odd little debate with myself. I won't have power on my bike, so I am debating if I even want to use my Garmin on it. There is a big part of me that wants to remove the technology from the MTB aspect of my cycling, sort of an escape. I can't really think of a benefit to having it on my bike for training and/or racing other than knowing how far I went and being able to look at my HR. With regards to accounting for TSS I almost think I am best just making a rough guess based on time and what I think the IF was. The way MTB is HR won't be much help with respect to this. So I am back to not having a computer that adds weight and I have to worry about bouncing off my bike. I understand that this is a pure preference thing, but you guys always have good perspective on stuff.

20. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

You don't really need to attach your Garmin to your handlebar. Just put it in your jersey pocket. The weight is negligible and you can still upload your ride to Strava for ride stats. Strava does a power estimation, although I have never tried to figure out the algorithm and have no idea how accurate it is.