It's killing me but..........

js, we are getting ready to travel today as well for the weekend. My wife actually encouraged me to take a bike with us. So I hope to sneak in a few miles tomorrow morning.

bg, I hear you on the mt bike and I don't have power on mine either. It is always tough for me to guess, but like you I would just take a stab at it with time in motion and perceived intensity as a manual entry to WKO. That way I could at least have something in there so that TSB / CTL have something. I don't mt bike very much so I suppose I could have left it out since I don't go very often.

You could probably make a good guess at a manual entry with just having a typical wrist watch to keep time and guesstimate the IF.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I use an old Garmin 305 on my stem and never had a problem other than once in a while it doesn't pick up the satellites or loses signal under a thick tree canopy. It seems to do better if it locks on the signal while in an open parking lot and will usually hang on to the signal while under the trees.

Yeah, I had it on my other MTB and never had any issues with it falling off. My big thing was is there a real reason to have it on there. I am not on Strava, but I don't think it estimates power anywhere close to reality. I think it just uses weight and speed. Just really debating on using MTB as a way to disconnect.

Congratulations to the racers out there making it happen already. It does seem to have come around again very quickly. I really dont know how people with these busy schedules make it happen. I know if i wasnt very fortunate with my working situation then there would be no way I'd get the training done that I do.

This second helping of winter is becoming a real drag....more snow, freezing temperatures and 20mph cold winds making a windchill well down below zero, as we hit Easter /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif And the forecast is for it to continue to the end of April /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

After a crappy week with a few roller sessions at FTP, I skipped a few days as the motivation just left me, but headed out for a small group ride today. Only a few hardcore clubmates turned up to brave the conditions, but we had a good ride. I was really pleased that it went well and despite a tough headwind all the way back I finished 115km feeling really good. 2 club mates were really suffering so a couple of us did almost all the work for the last 40km or so, yet I still could have gone a lot harder and pushed on a lot further. 4h 12m @ NP 200w so a reasonable session and a bit of a confidence boost that despite the relative lack of longer rides the relentless focus on L3 and L4 is still paying off. Planning a couple more shorter rides over the weekend and then heading off to the sunny mountains for a full week of climbing from Monday. I hope this will give me another 10-12 hours tempo riding and more importantly a good boost that I'm getting enough work done to hit my goal in Spain in June.

Originally Posted by Bigpikle . despite the relative lack of longer rides the relentless focus on L3 and L4 is still paying off
And it will continue to pay off all the way to September. When people ask me what they should do in the winter, they look at me funny when I answer, "All the SST/L4 you can stomach."

Originally Posted by RapDaddyo .

And it will continue to pay off all the way to September. When people ask me what they should do in the winter, they look at me funny when I answer, "All the SST/L4 you can stomach."
well typical of me I'm already thinking about my main event for 2014 - the Marmotte - so I'm hoping that the work this year will pay off right into July 2014 when one of the toughest Alpine sportives awaits me :D

I definitely have a fear of the 200km ride though, mountains or no mountains, so its going to be valuable to keep one eye on longer rides and prove to myself that I have nothing to fear there!

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Js, there is a cool bike shop in Nashville, Gran Fondo Cycles.

So I just ordered a new MTB and am having this odd little debate with myself. I won't have power on my bike, so I am debating if I even want to use my Garmin on it. There is a big part of me that wants to remove the technology from the MTB aspect of my cycling, sort of an escape. I can't really think of a benefit to having it on my bike for training and/or racing other than knowing how far I went and being able to look at my HR. With regards to accounting for TSS I almost think I am best just making a rough guess based on time and what I think the IF was. The way MTB is HR won't be much help with respect to this. So I am back to not having a computer that adds weight and I have to worry about bouncing off my bike. I understand that this is a pure preference thing, but you guys always have good perspective on stuff.
Screw the technology... enjoy the scenery!

"Training is touring, touring is training" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif j/k

Just a little time away this weekend. All gadgets utilized, but not really paying attention to power output. Just a fun day out while traveling.

Back in the groove today with a 2 hour outdoor mixed intensity and then back to the rollers tomorrow for hopefully SST/L4. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

From Seminole State Park out on the surrounding roads. Flat and very low traffic. Nice day out just to cruise around.

Youtube link
Best in 720HD

That looks like real Flatlandia! Those rides for the fun of it are great. First day here in the mountains and there isn't even 1/4 mile as flat as that from the door of the hotel to the top of the island. To give you a flavor of what it's like, here is a view going down the road from today's first 90km/2100m leg stretcher. NOT me but the same stretch of road as I did today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzUo9UAX_6U BTW Felt - what camera do you use for your footage and would you recommend it?

felt- Nice video as I am jellin over it. I loved it when I was down there. Flat and the weather even in Gainesville was warm enough. It is still 28 degrees here in NYC area when you are up at about 5am. I am so tired of this ****! It is April for Gods sake. Enjoy it, while you can.

-john

Originally Posted by Bigpikle .

That looks like real Flatlandia! Those rides for the fun of it are great.

First day here in the mountains and there isn't even 1/4 mile as flat as that from the door of the hotel to the top of the island. To give you a flavor of what it's like, here is a view going down the road from today's first 90km/2100m leg stretcher. NOT me but the same stretch of road as I did today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzUo9UAX_6U

BTW Felt - what camera do you use for your footage and would you recommend it?
I was thinking about your location while doing that recreational exploratory type (ultra flat) ride on Saturday. There could not have been more of a contrast to where I was and to where you are now with those climbs. That video link you posted looks really nice and the camera used looks to be better as well.

I am using a Contour GPS HD camera that is a few year old now. To be honest I typically don't record much anymore because it becomes a hassle fiddling with it during a ride. The battery is good for about 2 hours and then I need to swap to a fresh recharged battery. I usually carry 3 to 4 batteries depending on the length of the route. The more common camera is probably the GoPro, but I don't have personal experience with that camera. I have two friends that have GoPro, but both have stopped recording rides as well. I imagine because it takes so long to edit the video and get it uploaded to the web.

I recorded the Saturday ride because I was trying to help out with promoting the state park and promote cycling in that area. It may help for those traveling in RV's and camping that are cyclists to see a video of how the surrounding roads look and that they are safe to use. It also served as a nice break away from home, work and structured training. Even though I am highly motivated with training I think those fun relaxed rides now and then are good for body and mind.

Can't believe you got to go there twice in just a few months. That is some sweet cycling and climbing on the island.

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

felt- Nice video as I am jellin over it. I loved it when I was down there. Flat and the weather even in Gainesville was warm enough. It is still 28 degrees here in NYC area when you are up at about 5am. I am so tired of this ****! It is April for Gods sake. Enjoy it, while you can.

-john
Thanks
Yep, it is going to get cool here again for a couple of days and the mornings are still cool, but it is supposed to be back into the 70's by the weekend.

With all that film experience and equipment to produce video you get some sort of camera. I bet you could put an amazing video together.

felt-I was actually thinking of making a movie like Breakway or something like that at one time. Maybe have some fun. You know they have the bike film festivals.

http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/

We use GoPros here for all those action shots. As long as you do not plan on going to the big screen they work great. 720p is fine for most, even stretched. You can usually hook up like 2-3 on the vehicle in some weird places and just let them go.

In the old days it took all this rigging and would cost thousands for the same thing.

-js

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

I am using a Contour GPS HD camera that is a few year old now. To be honest I typically don't record much anymore because it becomes a hassle fiddling with it during a ride.
I recently researched head-cams for another purpose and discovered a neat little product:
http://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-Action-Cameras-HD-Sports-Cameras-HD-Video-Sunglasses-|-LOREX/wide-angle-video-sunglasses/prod270002.p

What I like about this product is that you don't have to mount anything on your helmet and the operation couldn't be simpler -- one button push to turn it on/off. I'm planning to order one before summer. Will post an update after I get some experience with it.

"Training is touring, touring is training" /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif j/k

Just a little time away this weekend. All gadgets utilized, but not really paying attention to power output. Just a fun day out while traveling.

Back in the groove today with a 2 hour outdoor mixed intensity and then back to the rollers tomorrow for hopefully SST/L4. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

From Seminole State Park out on the surrounding roads. Flat and very low traffic. Nice day out just to cruise around.

Youtube link
Best in 720HD

Looks like a nice, casual ride. No traffic....so lucky!

Originally Posted by RapDaddyo .

Will post an update after I get some experience with it.
I hope you will post your thoughts and maybe a sample video clip. I checked out the link and their sample video. It seems like a nice product and a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by wbkski .

Looks like a nice, casual ride. No traffic....so lucky!
Lucky for only one day./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif That was about 4+ hours south of where I live. The people in that area are really nice. When there was a car that came around me they would go all the way over to the other white line giving me plenty of room. Those that passed by going the other direction would typically give me a friendly wave. Very friendly community of people.

Where I typically cycle just north of Atlanta it quite the opposite. Most drivers in and around Atlanta area hate cyclists.

When there was a car that came around me they would go all the way over to the other white line giving me plenty of room. Those that passed by going the other direction would typically give me a friendly wave. Very friendly community of people.
That's a nice thing considering one of the first things I noticed was the distinct lack of shoulder in comparison to some of the roads I ride. Makes me really appreciate 9W. And that crazy little dog.

3 good days riding done - 150 miles and just under 6000m of mountains. Lots of hard work and sweat expended so a day off today and then 2/3 more days if I'm lucky. Sadly the Rotor PM never arrived (then irony of the Spanish kit not arriving before I went to Spain to train) so I'm without any real numbers and just going on effort, but performances seem ok so far and I'm doing my best to ride as much as possible at tempo on the climbs and put a few threshold efforts in on short bits. Wen I get home and compare times up these climbs to previous years with Strava I'll know a little more but the winds have been all over the place this week so it won't be a true comparison. Yesterday turned into the craziest moment ever when I was blown clean off the bike rounding a tight bend at the top of a cliff! I'm no lightweight at 76kg so it was one hell of a cross wind that I suddenly hit and when I picked myself out of the ditch I had the most surreal experience as I couldn't get my bike on the ground - it was literally flying like a kite at 90 degrees to me while I clung onto the bars and saddle for dear life! I had to eventually get my body over the top tube and slowly and carefully inch my way back around the corner I just came from until out of the wind enough to be back in control. Have to admit it scared the **** out of me. It was a shame as it was the very top of a 1000mclimb and I was just about to descend one of the steepest climbs on the island for about 5 miles and then turn around and come back up. Needless to say that bit of the cliff was horribly exposed and the twisting descent is challenging in good conditions so I baled and did 'mountain repeats' up and down the climb I'd just done. Discretion was definitely the better part of valour yesterday....

Starting my big taper into a few weeks of hopefully good racing. It always amazes me just how good my legs can feel and how effortless it feels to maintain a wattage that use to take effort. I managed 360 watts for 20min on my way to work today, which will yield my highest watt/kg to date. The thing is I had to traverse no less than 3 stop signs and 6, 90 degree corners, so it was by no means ideal. I will look at my NP when I get home, but I was seeing 370-380 most of the time between having to slow down. For now I am thinking I will keep my FTP @ 350 and see what type of 1hr NP I get from upcoming races and maybe adjust up from there. Really with where I am at in terms of training/tapering FTP being right on is not super important. Hope everyone else is doing well! I will try to keep you guys updated with my race results, Battenkill is only 1 week away!!!

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Hope everyone else is doing well! I will try to keep you guys updated with my race results, Battenkill is only 1 week away!!!
Great commuter numbers and good luck at "America's toughest bike race". Would love to see a file posted of your output with a brief explanation of where on the course the spikes happen if you are so inclined.