It's killing me but..........

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I've been toying with a high end Garmin for GPS route direction ability for some of the longer night time brevets and this would obviously work well with Strava. Riding through the night and trying to follow paper directions is a PITA and can hemorage time. I'd have to get the ANT+ updater first though for my PowerTap hub. I'll also be doing a bit more off the bike too and to that end I'll be following the advice that bike fit guru Steve Hogg has given on his blogs with regards to core strength and flexibility. Some of this is for the obvious reasons but it'll also keep me a bit more active on the days I don't ride. I don't envision becoming a yogi but increased (ie closer to normal) full range of motion for my right hip would be nice both on and off the bike.

As I said to my better half a few nights ago, its time for less talking and more doing...
swampy,

Always nice to see your posts.

How do you know which PT hub will work with the Garmin GPS cause I am really thinking of doing it also Right now I use the Joule. My other PT hub is old and wired and would never work.

To me right now I want to train but I want to get comfort down. I know it will never be ideal but I need to be able to keep it to a min. I realy believe the biggest reason I can not get the watts up is comfort. Tough enough to put out the watts and than add in discomfort from the back or even just not an ideal position on the bike makes too many issues to fight with.

In the end glad yo you are doing and have a nice set of goals set up for next year...

You need an ANT+ wireless PT hub or other ANT+ device. That includes any of the wireless PT hubs manufactured in at least the past four years, there were a limited number of early wireless PT hubs that were not ANT+ compatible but could have their firmware updated to support ANT+ but they haven't been sold in quite a while. And of course as you pointed out the wired units are not ANT+ compatible.

Basically any new PT hub or even the vast majority of used wireless units will work.

-Dave

I believe that the ant+ updater is specifically for the older SL 2.4 wireless hub. Those were out 2006 and later I believe. Mine is a 2008. Google: ant+ updater PowerTap If you do the update but also want to use your yellow pt computer, there's a firmware that needs to be done on the yellow CPU. Once done it'll work with both the older and newer wireless pt hubs. Cost is around $90.

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

They make these diets too difficult and extreme.

The best thing I have heard and I have to admit I find it tough is how to turn a diet into a lifestyle. In todays busy world it just takes more time and effort to eat better. Much easier to grab a muffin or a pop **** and keep going than to take the time to make a healthy omelette.
I've been doing the same thing now for so many years and people just shake their head when they see me eat virtually the same exact food everyday. I cannot tout being on a wholesome diet chocked full of micro nutrients at each meal. I throw down the macros and supplement what I feel is running short. Now it is just daily habit and a time allotted in my evening to prepare and pack containers for the next work day. Typically it works out best for me when I come home from my Sunday afternoon training to grill 3+ pounds of chicken and have that available through the work week. I eat chicken/rice or chicken/pasta or chicken/veggies just about every week for more years than I can count. I generally think of food like taking medicine. I don't care how it tastes I just want the function of it. Plus with all these small meals it gets tiring eating constantly even though there is not many calories in each. Getting that feeling to go on a bingefest doesn't really hit me.

I also count my shakes as a meal and I love those since I can just chug those down and be done with it.

My typical work day (today's meals)

4:30 am get up go to the gym weight training on an empty stomach, but sip a 24 oz bottle of water with BCAA, Glutamine
6:30 am post training 30 grams protein, ~40 grams of carbs from granola cereal
9:30 am 30 grams protein, ~40 grams of carbs from oatmeal and raisins
12 pm 20 grams protein grilled chicken, ~20 grams of carbs from long grain rice
3 pm 20 grams protein grilled chicken, ~20 grams of carbs from long grain rice
5:30 pm cycling training sip a 24 oz bottle of water with BCAA, Glutamine
7:00 pm tonight will be a salad that has a mix of lean ground beef, black beans, greens, cheese and a few corn chips crushed and added as a topping.
8:00 pm about 15 to 20 minutes preparing my food and work clothes for the next day
9:00 pm low carb yogurt with egg protein blended in.
10 pm bed time

I also supplement with Emergen-C and with a Super Green Formula

disclaimer: this is just what I do. In no way would I suggest anyone on this forum eat like this.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

....disclaimer: this is just what I do. In no way would I suggest anyone on this forum eat like this.
Dude that's way too honest.

You've got to wrap this up as the Feltman diet, claim it took you from a 90 pound weakling to your ripped body building form and then into a cycling beast and cured several terminal diseases in the process. Then you write your book, go on the talk show circuit and market your line of frozen prepared foods.

Don't throw away your millions in fad diet riches with an honest disclaimer ;)

-Dave

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Dude that's way too honest.

You've got to wrap this up as the Feltman diet, claim it took you from a 90 pound weakling to your ripped body building form and then into a cycling beast and cured several terminal diseases in the process. Then you write your book, go on the talk show circuit and market your line of frozen prepared foods.

Don't throw away your millions in fad diet riches with an honest disclaimer ;)

-Dave
grin.png

Only the late Joe Weider could seem to attach his name to other people's nutrition and training and get away with it. Now if I could have a unique name like....hmmm......Dr. Oz.
big-smile.png

This little 3 pm meal took me an hour to eat.......ugh.......it is a daily battle choking this **** down and chasing it with water. Its best to just woof it down, but today I just nibbled a little at a time and it took an hour to get it finished.
grin.png

js, if you are commuting by bike it probably is hard to pack food and bring. I forgot about that aspect. Most of my coworkers have brought their own containers of oatmeal and other things since many of them have been on a corporate weight loss challenge. It is pretty interesting to see people walking around with bowls of oatmeal and plugging in their calories on their phone apps. But most of them stopped eating out and kept personal stocks of food in the refrigerators and cabinets.

felt, Given the nature of filming, factory environment and belleville being a suburb type place I have been making oatmeal every morning for about a year now. It is about the money too!! I mean at Food Basics I can buy like a month's worth for 5 bucks. Believe it or not berries and other stuff to throw in are sometimes add up and if I do not eat them fast enough, go bad. With filming it is common for the producer to pay for lunch. They are always **** on our sets like pizza and such. That is where I made the difference and bought lunch food. Also m[SIZE= 13px]y wife makes always too much food at night so I bring the left over now with me. I can put them in the pannier without any issue. It is pretty big but is tearing up now something bad and need to bring to a luggage repair shop soon. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13px]I am pretty much following the diet that I did many years ago that got me from 230 - 180 and was when I started my fitness craze. But back than I was not training for watts and just to get into shape. So this time around I want to loose the weight a bit slower as back than I could loose like almost 5 lbs a week. So I find this more difficult in how to make it work. I believe the advice of all of you and just cutting out the ****, I can see I already have lost 2 lbs as per last night but let me see by Monday. I do not want to go too fast on loosing the weight.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 13px]BTW, the picture looks pretty good from here. I imagine it has no sauce the chicken and is dry as heck and takes about a gallon of water to get down. I have eaten stuff like that myself.[/SIZE]

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought some eggs this morning and will try and scramble one on a cup here and nuke it for post ride protein maybe?

Time to hit the bike again. Much better feeling last couple of days, slight increase in calories and re-adjusted the seat back up.

BTW, Dave, they recommended the Gen 2 for me. It looks a lot like my current seat but when I saw the video has some really subtle important differences so I will give it a shot.

-js

Off to Elk Grove for the weekend! Not feeling 100% (legs are kinda shitty feeling for no good reason and feel a mild nagging of a cold coming on), but my bike handling confidence and motivation is through the roof. I am feeling a good weekend! I will be doing the 1/2 race, but there is a whole separate invite only pro race where I guess Cannondale will have their team racing and I think Bob Roll will be announcing all of the races. So should be a pretty cool weekend. I think the races will be streamed live here: http://www.elkgrove.com/index.aspx?page=109

felt, Had a good ride today and gave more thought to my diet yesterday and this time though I started to look at the breakdown and was surprised how much carbs I was eating compared to protein especially.

Calories Protein Fat Carbs Red Bull 110 0 0 28 Oat Meal 150 4 2.5 27 Banana 105 2 0 27 Teaspoon Sugar 20 0 0 6 1/4 Cup 2% Milk 40 2 1 4 Rasberries 60 2 1 14 Pepsi Throwback Can 150 0 0 40 Red Bull 110 0 0 28 Light Bread 90 4 0 18 Turkey 120 18 2 4 Spinach 50 9 1 12 Avocado 150 2 15 9 Mango 125 2 1 32 Wife Dinner 650 40 27 67 Rice Beans Avocado BBQ Pork (Similar to Chipolte) Cycling -1000 930 85 50.5 316 451.5 18.83% 11.18% 69.99%
Have not done this detail in a while but based on this I changed up already and bought some eggs and been taking out a banana this morning and nuke scrambling the egg. I have to now start to see what would be a good balance of the make up and the calories.

Hmmm....Thoughts?

-js

Best wishes on the race bg !!

If you are doing well on the current protein count don't change it. I would only suggest changing it if you were struggling in some areas. For a cyclists it's not such a bad thing to risk losing some muscle.
grin.png
just kidding

As a guide on protein below is often used, but it ranges between 1 to 2 grams in many debates so I think many use an average of 1.5.

So if you went by the 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight what would that be for you? (I forget what your weight is)
For me (73kg) it would be ~110 grams protein per day typically split into each meal. At 6 meals it would be ~20 grams per meal. But again this is often debated as to how much.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Js- thought you kicked the e-drinks?!
Dude at 5am I am just dying for one and than at about 4 it comes on again.

Trust me compared to the cases of Monster drinks I used to buy at BJ wholesale monthly I have come down a lot and maybe posting this will push me over the edge.

Those damn Red color RED BULL are just too good... Got to get my black tea to make it work. Just too much work to have one ready as I am getting out the door.

-js

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

So if you went by the 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight what would that be for you? (I forget what your weight is)
For me (73kg) it would be ~110 grams protein per day typically split into each meal. At 6 meals it would be ~20 grams per meal. But again this is often debated as to how much.
So I am 80.1 kg right now so with that math I need ~120 grams so right now I am coming in at least 40 grams lower. How about on the fat and carb side?

-js

Sorry if I am picking your brain too much here. I can look online but rather go to the real deal.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Off to Elk Grove for the weekend! Not feeling 100% (legs are kinda shitty feeling for no good reason and feel a mild nagging of a cold coming on), but my bike handling confidence and motivation is through the roof. I am feeling a good weekend! I will be doing the 1/2 race, but there is a whole separate invite only pro race where I guess Cannondale will have their team racing and I think Bob Roll will be announcing all of the races. So should be a pretty cool weekend. I think the races will be streamed live here:

http://www.elkgrove.com/index.aspx?page=109
Good luck and nice. Even if I was that good, doubt I could get my wife to go out there or some how work it into the schedule.

jsirabella said:
Dude at 5am I am just dying for one and than at about 4 it comes on again. Trust me compared to the cases of Monster drinks I used to buy at BJ wholesale monthly I have come down a lot and maybe posting this will push me over the edge. Those damn Red color RED BULL are just too good... Got to get my black tea to make it work.  Just too much work to have one ready as I am getting out the door. -js
Discover Diet Mountain Dew. Lots of caffeine and no calories. As a bonus, it's green.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Discover Diet Mountain Dew. Lots of caffeine and no calories. As a bonus, it's green.
Too close to completely dropping them to go bak now...

I believe in a month or so they will go away. I did drop them for 2 mos but as soon as I had one, it came all back again.

jsirabella said:
Too close to completely dropping them to go bak now... I believe in a month or so they will go away.  I did drop them for 2 mos but as soon as I had one, it came all back again. 
Just be careful dropping to caffeine levels too low for good health. Caffeine is perhaps the most important of the six food groups.

jsirabella said:
Dude at 5am I am just dying for one and than at about 4 it comes on again. Trust me compared to the cases of Monster drinks I used to buy at BJ wholesale monthly I have come down a lot and maybe posting this will push me over the edge. Those damn Red color RED BULL are just too good... Got to get my black tea to make it work.  Just too much work to have one ready as I am getting out the door. -js
Set the coffee pot to auto brew for 5 minutes before you get down stairs. I brew my coffee "weapons grade." I don't put sugar in it - even if I did the spoon would likely dissolve before I could stir it much. You could always grind the coffee super fine and snort it.

Felt, You have a Garmin Edge 800 don't you? I'm thinking about getting one but was wondering if you need to have the map page displayed for it to announce that there's a turn or waypoint coming up (if you entered a route) or if it would display a notification on the "training" screen that shows all the number (speed, distance, power etc) I see that it's possible to show speed and distance on the map screen, can you customize it to show power and distance?