It's killing me but..........

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Sillyoldtwit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Been a while, but I am still pedaling away, all be it a bit sorer legs. The 2x20s are pretty solid, hitting 90%, however based on the efforts I think my FTP came up a bit already. Legs did feel pretty crushed today, but I got through it. I finally got rid of the NES software and upgraded to Racermate One. Have not had a chance to play too much, but I really like it. My PT however is consistently 5%-7% lower than the CT, which may work well for in the summer if I setup a bike permanently on the trainer without a PT. I can then just pull data directly from Racermate into Training Peaks and it should coincide with my outdoor power as I seem to be 5% higher outdoors. Sunday I will likely try a long ride on the trainer with one of the hundreds of courses I can now do. Anyone have any experience using the courses that can be downloaded off line? Any recommendations? I am thinking 80-90 miles.

2. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

Sorry BG - no experience of any of this. So far my old KK road machine is all I've used, along with TrainerRoad for some workouts to follow.

All this talk of trainers etc had me Googling and I came across the Cycleops PT300/400 indoor bikes. They looked pretty interesting but all seem to have a few drawbacks. I do like the idea of a full indoor machine and not putting a bike on a turbo etc but none of them seem to offer exactly what I would want. The Kickr does look interesting but other than the ERG mode I'm not exactly sure what extra benefit I get? I've not used that idea although I know many of you like ERG mode training. More Googling needed and another look at the big DCR review....

EDIT: Can anyone tell me if a PC with a Garmin ANT+ dongle can control the Kickr in ERG mode, using TrainerRoad please? I'd really like to be able to do this but only my iPhone is new enough to have the correct Bluetooth and I want to follow TR workouts from the PC if possible.

3. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

bg, Sounds like you did some upgrades which always makes me feel good about getting on the bike the next day. Even downgrades have done that for me cause it just changes things up. I just wanted to comment that when I was using the CT and the racermate software I used to try and do the course they had for Central Park and honestly it just did not feel like Central Park to me. It felt much harder than the actual ride but they may be me so I wish you luck.

-js

4. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was missing the smell of fresh horse manure [​IMG]

5. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Buddy I work pretty much in Newark, I can deal with smells that you can never imagine.

-js

6. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

7. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Kind of funny, today I had a great session on the trainer in that I was able to get intervals done as I had the tension dialed in just right for a 2 x 30 @ 220 and than than a final 20 minutes @ ~215. I am not sure about you guys but always feel that great feeling of accomplishment as the sweat is just dripping and dripping and than you go into WKO,, look at it and than feel that "ahhh. pretty good" and it is all over. Kind of feels like a bit of a let down actually....

I think I need to hire a bunch of extras that as I get off the trainer start to cheer and pat me on the back telling me amazing, great job. loool

The funny thing is every winter I just can not stop picking at food. I feel thin in the morning when I get out of bed and by mid-day I feel heavy and fat. I just saw this video that the DP is doing as a video blog for our next series and man I look fat and really old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgTrcI2vgc&list=UUI671KLVD7lLKqcUMfEMyxQ

I think is a wake up call to stop eating especially if you are killing yourself with this time on the bike. I mean I am 180 not anything crazy...man. It is hard especially when I have fallen in love with pop tarts recently.

-john

8. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

js, enjoyed the video and you must have the coolest job amongst us all. Why not enjoy a poptart or two :)

I haven't had one in a while, but I do seem to stall the grocery buggy a bit when passing by and glare at them pretty hard. :)

Oh and I can relate with feeling good in training only to see a different picture once it's uploaded in WKO.

9. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

JS - I'm really struggling this winter with the food as well. I must be 4kg up on my proper racing best weight and I'm struggling to get it off :( Its sitting around at home and stress from a few things that is causing it, but I seem to have been better this week. Had a big clear out, tidy up and crossed a few stressors off my to-do list and feel better. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. I'll watch that vid later as well - sounds cool...

Good news also is that I've also broken my 'TT turbo' mental blockage. Perhaps a little late given how my legs felt after 2 sessions the last 2 days, but better late than never. It just depresses me how my power drops on the TT bike and 8-10 min intervals at 235-240w are killing me. I guess its the motivation I need to put the adaption time in. I didnt get my TT rig until mid summer last year and really havent ridden it very much, so starting 2-3 turbo sessions a week in Jan should really make a difference this time. I've committed to ALL indoor planned sessions now being on the TT bike and have pined up the TrainerRoad plan on the cupboard in front of it and am crossing sessions off as I go. I also re-read a good blog on TR about the importance of consistency and consistent quality which I strongly recommend and its really at the front of my mind for every session now - good form, bike position etc during every interval.

Legs are fried but its a nicer Sunday morning today so I'm off to finish burying myself and get a few hours of steady riding done. Very challenging 8 days coming up now where I'll be at home for exactly 1 night so trying to get the focus up to get out at night, ride in the gym or basically do anything I can to get some bike time!

10. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

felt and bp - may be one of the more fun jobs but one of the poorer, higher pressure gigs too. I do love my pop tarts but from what I saw in one article I believe it is ranked like one of the 10 worst foods to eat. I love them but they do look and sometimes taste like sweet drywall. But hey I mean got to enjoy life sometimes. People say I do not look fat and laugh but idk that video certainly made me look fatter tha everyone else and older...lool. Funny thing once the better weather comes around and a ride more outdoors I never feel that need to keep eating.

I have a funny story in that I had chipped a tooth about a month ago and it hurt pretty bad and my dentist had told me a I am a grinder years ago. Anyway the tooth only hurt that day so I let it pass and about 2 weeks it started to come on and reached a point when I finished my ride that my teeth were just killing me way too much. I told my wife and she called our dentist and she sent me yesterday to a root canal dentist and had it done. I was happy but man I am still sore from it. Mouth is still pretty tender now.

I was able to ride today but with the less sleep and having to go into work (another benefit of my gig, there is no work week) had less energy so did a 3 hour ride @ 160. It was nice to have that type of ride actually and while nothing as good as you bp I would every 20 minutes or so go into a tuck position by putting my elbows on the bars. Like you said Felt, it really helps to give the LB a break ever so often,

Hope you guys are having better luck with weather cause it is just insane here where we are freezing again and looks like more snow on Tuesday. Worst winter in a while.

-js

11. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I hate to make you feel bad, but this is what I am looking at for the next few days:

[​IMG]

12. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

RDO - forget the temperatures, its those wind speeds I'll take every day! Seems like we've barely had a day in the last few months where it hasnt been steady 15-20mph with gusts upwards of 35-40mph.....

13. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I've had both recently. Mid 60's and block headwinds that'd make some folk think about turning around and go back home. 11mph on the flat, head down in the tri-bars with aero helmet on (I had a bad ear ache and the side flaps cover my ears nicely) and trying to keep it under 230watts as I wanted to get a ton of miles in. Grim on a stick. There were times I was in single digits. LOL. Thankfully today was much less windy.

14. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

If you are training based on power, the wind does not matter. You select gears to suit your cadence and power preferences.

---

It has been windy here also. Yesterday some guy tucked down into his tri-bike passed me complaining about the head wind. I rode next to him up a short hill. Then let him go. I was smiling riding on the hoods.

Same wind today. Both days were summer dress - shorts and lycra jersey. 55-60. Looks like the next 4 days are jacket weather. 30-40.

15. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Duh, what do you think I was doing?

The wind does matter. If go out for what you think is going to be a 3:45 or 4hr, 80 mile ride and you end up doing 30 miles into a block headwind of epic proportions at around 12mph then you kinda run out of food/drink and spending a bit more time on the bike than you'd previously expected.

Then again in your mystical world you'd ride to the top of the nearest 9,000ft col smiling whilst hanging onto Chris Froome's back wheel while he was going spuds out in testing and drink the pure water from a mountain stream before riding another 215 miles before breakfast ;)

16. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

+10
    Absolutely!!

17. Bigpikle

Bigpikle New Member

....not to mention the demoralising effect on a long training session of continually fighting being blown off the roads and having to plan carefully every time you come up to a gap in a hedgerow or gate that means a ferocious gale is being channelled through a 10' wide funnel right into your side.

18. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Hey RapDaddyo, this guy must be an inspiration for you and me.

102-Year-Old Cyclist to Break Hour Record

[​IMG]

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2014/01/21/102-year-old-cyclist-to-break-hour-record/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Blog-_-marchand

19. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Cool! Gives me something to train for in a few years.

20. maxroadrash

maxroadrash New Member

Just hang on to what you have. A quote from his "trainer" one Veronique Billat: “We prepare Robert Marchand for the world record of an hour above 25 km/h in January he will be 102 yrs old,” she wrote on Twitter. “He improved his VO2max (35) and his maximal power by 10% by the strength component, especially 2.65 w/kg of full body mass with 13% fat mass.”