It's killing me but..........

Sillyoldtwit said:
A song keeps playing on my mind. What is it?

And I tell her, "you look wonderful tonight". Who sang that? Beautiful song.
Tyson, believe the line is from Rod Stewart, a countryman of yours.

Sorry to hear Starbuck's has invaded Japan....they just moved into our town last year. In the country that elevated tea service to a ritual, it just seems wrong that you should be subjected to american "fast food" coffee. Just curious, but are you located in Kyoto by any chance?

Lots of us on this forum will likely never reach 300W FTP, myself included. That's just a number which really shouldn't affect your enjoyment of cycling. After all, there is a lot more to efficient, fast and fun cycling than just the size of your motor. For example, we had a great coaching session Saturday on pacelining (ie, advanced wheelsucking), I'm now pinning hopes on that strategy for next season :)

MY02_STi said:
Wondering the same thing myself :confused: As Tyson said, you're among friends :) so I'll start the ball rolling......male, Australian, 50 yo, FTP 343W :D
I'M OUT OF HERE - CAN'T STAND THE SIGHT OF BLOOD!:D

OOPS! I'm back. I've just realized my booboo. You're talking about yourself. I thought you were playing the guessing game as you didn't say I'm ......:eek: :eek: :eek:

dhk2 said:
Tyson, believe the line is from Rod Stewart, a countryman of yours.

Sorry to hear Starbuck's has invaded Japan....they just moved into our town last year. In the country that elevated tea service to a ritual, it just seems wrong that you should be subjected to american "fast food" coffee. Just curious, but are you located in Kyoto by any chance?

Lots of us on this forum will likely never reach 300W FTP, myself included. That's just a number which really shouldn't affect your enjoyment of cycling. After all, there is a lot more to efficient, fast and fun cycling than just the size of your motor. For example, we had a great coaching session Saturday on pacelining (ie, advanced wheelsucking), I'm now pinning hopes on that strategy for next season :)
It's Eric Clapton actually, but close.:D

I've said this before in this thread; Starbucks is for me an Oasis. It is the one place I can go and not get foul smelling smoke blown in my face. Also I guess, I don't really like coffee or should I say real coffee, another reason for going to Starbucks, besides the caramel pound cake of course.;)

Wheelsucking!?!? Sound interesting, give me time to get my teeth out.:cool:

dhk2 said:
we had a great coaching session Saturday on pacelining (ie, advanced wheelsucking), I'm now pinning hopes on that strategy for next season :)
We all need to know that technique. I needed it today. After a 279 TSS ride yesterday, I rode a 247 TSS ride today and after a 5 mile climb toward the end of the ride I was toast. I would have grabbed anybody's wheel on the way back to the ride start point, even a 5 yo girl with streamers on her bike. After a cup of coffee, I announced that I needed to get an early start on my ride home (5 miles away) so that I could get home before dark (it was 1PM).:D

MY02_STi said:
Wondering the same thing myself :confused: As Tyson said, you're among friends :) so I'll start the ball rolling......I'm male, Australian, 50 yo, FTP 343W :D ........ and that's all the info you're getting Alex ;)
Alex, pardon me for asking, but is that figure of 343W your FTP measured over 1 hour on a static trainer (gym etc.) or out on the road? And how long did it take to reach that figure.(years) It's a pretty impressive figure. TYSON

Sillyoldtwit said:
Alex, pardon me for asking, but is that figure of 343W your FTP measured over 1 hour on a static trainer (gym etc.) or out on the road? And how long did it take to reach that figure.(years) It's a pretty impressive figure. TYSON
That's not me.

343W has significant potential to hurt me but it depends on each rider's complete power profile, the terrain over which you are racing and what's between the ears now doesn't it?;) I don't need 343 to suck a wheel and I have beaten riders stronger than that..... but if we were on a long climb:(. My data would be apparent from my blog if anyone was researching the competition. There are plenty of Masters riders here with far greater FTP than me. All in good time - I won't be far behind for too long....:D And I don't have a CTL > 120 either:eek: I'm still working on breaking the century.

Alex Simmons said:
That's not me.

343W has significant potential to hurt me but it depends on each rider's complete power profile, the terrain over which you are racing and what's between the ears now doesn't it?;) I don't need 343 to suck a wheel and I have beaten riders stronger than that..... but if we were on a long climb:(. My data would be apparent from my blog if anyone was researching the competition. There are plenty of Masters riders here with far greater FTP than me. All in good time - I won't be far behind for too long....:D And I don't have a CTL > 120 either:eek: I'm still working on breaking the century.
Whoops.:eek: Boobooed for the 2nd time today. Perhaps I'm overtraining!;)

But MY02 did finish with the name Alex, but of course he was addressing you.

So I redirect that question to MY02:D

Alex Simmons said:
........depends on each rider's complete power profile, the terrain over which you are racing and what's between the ears now doesn't it?;) .........
Data from was Central Coast Cycle Club Race (Graded) Ray Piper Handicap back in July over 75 km at Calga (Alex will understand). Peak 60 minute power was 347W. My group, which started with about 15 riders was down to about 5 of the original group plus about 8 others from other grades for the last time over Blood Hill (about 700 m at 8% some 3km from the finish - we did it 3 times :eek: ) I initiated the 'selection' and brought 5 riders with me. Finished third :eek:

Backed it up with an FTP test on the trainer, about 6 weeks later - peak 20 minute was 366W

Rode competitively about 10 years ago, back on the bike these past two and a bit years :D

Today I received the information on Sunday's "race" and the nightmare I described at the bottom of page 81 of this thread is becoming a reality.

The organizer said please study the map closely so you don't get lost, and as it's a long ride please take lights with you. Lights?!?! :eek: What bloody time does he think we're going to get back?

For those of you who have never been to Japan, the mountains here are not like the TDF mountains, they are quite forbidding; the roads often running through heavily forested narrow valleys with precipitous mountains on either side. The fast flowing rivers at the side of the roads only serving to add to a sense of loneliness. I have visions of being lost up there for 3 days living off wild fruits.
And of course there are the bears, which didn't appear in my recent nightmare. I'm frightening myself now.:eek:

Oh, and he kindly sent me information on the mountain passes. Never mind all the hills in between, but here are the figures. The first pass, a mere pimple at 951 feet.

2) 1800 feet

3) 2135 feet

4) 2329 feet

5) 2614 feet

6) 2591 feet

And you can bet your bottom dollar these are not steady climbs.

I want my mummy!:(

MY02_STi said:
Data from was Central Coast Cycle Club Race (Graded) Ray Piper Handicap back in July over 75 km at Calga (Alex will understand). Peak 60 minute power was 347W. My group, which started with about 15 riders was down to about 5 of the original group plus about 8 others from other grades for the last time over Blood Hill (about 700 m at 8% some 3km from the finish - we did it 3 times :eek: ) I initiated the 'selection' and brought 5 riders with me. Finished third :eek:

Backed it up with an FTP test on the trainer, about 6 weeks later - peak 20 minute was 366W

Rode competitively about 10 years ago, back on the bike these past two and a bit years :D
That's motoring. Where was your TTT squad? AP or NP? AP I guess given trainer test. If AP then I'm in big trouble;) I knew there was a good reason why I race the track....

Most of my racing is < 1hr (crits & track mostly) so I don't often get solid data for an hour. Best was back in early October at State Crit champs with a 60min NP of 337W. But the race was only 48 min so this includes 12 mins of warm down data as well. NP for the race was 352W with VI of 1.28 though, so massively variable power output that day!

I took up cycling in my mid-30s, so did not have junior/elite riding background to draw upon. Many of the top guys I race against have a long history in the sport. Some things you develop as a junior/young man I suspect just don't happen so fast for us late comers.

Alex Simmons said:
....Where was your TTT squad?...
I was going to do the TTT when it was in Gunning but family commitments meant I couldn't do the one at Calga

Alex Simmons said:
....AP or NP?..
AP :)

Alex Simmons said:
....Most of my racing is < 1hr (crits & track mostly) so I don't often get solid data for an hour...
I really don't like crits all that much, especially ones that have (tight) turns. My cornering ability has often been likened to a semi-trailer doing a u-turn :eek: Far prefer long(er) road races, as Tyson has alluded to, after an hour or so, I start to really get going :D

Alex Simmons said:
....I took up cycling in my mid-30s......
Yep, me too as I'd done Ironman Triathlons previous. Only took up cycling (as a single sport), as opposed to triathlons, when I turned 35 :p

Alex Simmons said:
....Some things you develop as a junior/young man I suspect just don't happen so fast for us late comers......
I agree to some extent.

Some riders, like Brad McGee, and his brother Rod, as well as Natalie and Kate Bates (I rode with them years ago when I belonged to the Parramatta Club) just have an inbuilt 'gift' and no matter how hard we train, we'll never reach that ease/comfort they exhibit on the bike.

I've been 'self coached' for my entire time on the bike, but I listen and look a lot (especially in races) to other riders and am willing to give most things a try.

Training with a PM, at least for has allowed to answer those 'now why did that happen' types of questions and this is where I think we have the 'advantage' (for those that took up cycling later in life) in that we are more than likely to be receptive to new ideas/concepts etc :cool:

MY02_STi said:

Can't even imagine those figures at the mo, but then I couldn't imagine 200W 8 months back, then I couldn't imagine 250W and now I'm trying to imagine 300W. Give me a couple of years.

Strange thing is 350 watts on the indoor trainer doesn't feel to bad for 1minute, then the energy just drains away and the engine comes to a stop.
Perhaps I'm dreaming but I can envisage gradually improving on that 1 minute, stretching it out with training to ...................;) Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
Can't even imagine those figures at the mo, but then I couldn't imagine 200W 8 months back, then I couldn't imagine 250W and now I'm trying to imagine 300W. Give me a couple of years.

Strange thing is 350 watts on the indoor trainer doesn't feel to bad for 1minute, then the energy just drains away and the engine comes to a stop.
Perhaps I'm dreaming but I can envisage gradually improving on that 1 minute, stretching it out with training to ...................;) Tyson
The first time I had access to power data (Jan-03 via a computrainer) my FTP was estimated at ~ 240W and I was about 10kg heavier than now.

curlew said:
TD wrote:

TD, you've got a good plan for improving your power this winter but all kinds of nagging doubts can creep in at this point and undermine your efforts to get the 3-4 hours of L4 in on your trainer each week that you say you are aiming for.

When I was in my first month of trainer sessions the big doubts I had focused around my max heart rate. Due to my age, my max HR is lower than others so I was sure all of these trainer sessions wouldn't add up to gains in power that would count for something in races. I think other people worry that they are not strong enough so they feel like they need to lift in the gym before the trainer sessions will pay off.

I'm betting you will be amazed by the gains you make this winter. You will be so happy in May 2007 that you started working on this NOW rather than finally getting focused and really beginning the work to improve your power starting in January or February 2007. When you start seeing your power numbers increasing substantially in November and December you will wonder how far and how fast they will climb. Who knows? But, for those of us that are starting out, it's almost inevitable that we will see significant gains in power in our first year of training.
Thanks for advice. It's amazing what a little encouragment can do for one's attitude. A great work out at 5 am this morning doesn't hurt either.

You just have to fancy that - I mean this thread is so popular that the spammers don't even bother with the rest of the forum, but instead just place it all here! :rolleyes:

Sillyoldtwit said:
.....I'm trying to imagine 300W. Give me a couple of years..
I think you'll surprise yourself :D You've made huge progress and I wouldn't want to 'second guess' RD, but I reckon 300W could happen within 4 - 6 months ;)

MY02_STi said:
I think you'll surprise yourself :D You've made huge progress and I wouldn't want to 'second guess' RD, but I reckon 300W could happen within 4 - 6 months ;)
Nothing like throwing a huge piece of raw meat in front of a lion.:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
As RD has said, 240Watts is not to be sneezed at. Many people would love to be able to generate 240Watts for 1 hour.

Great going tb. May I ask your age, because if you're one of us more elderly riders, then I have to knuckle down even more to keep abreast of you? :D
Wow this thread moves fast. In one weekend a reply seems like old news.

Tyson, you need not have any worries of me in your age class. I'm just turning 35 next month.

The people that need to worry about me are the ones that will be in the 40+ category in 5 years. By that time I'll enough L4 intervals in these legs to drop them all. Mountains will flatten before me, and I will smile.

tbowren said:
The people that need to worry about me are the ones that will be in the 40+ category in 5 years. By that time I'll enough L4 intervals in these legs to drop them all. Mountains will flatten before me, and I will smile.
I love it!:D

And I'm serving advance notice to those who intend to ride the Everest Challenge in 2008 in the 65-69 category. I will have just turned 65 and I'm coming to race!:D