It's killing me but..........

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Sillyoldtwit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MY02_STi

MY02_STi New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the words of encouragement :cool:

I'm still a while off from getting back on a bike, even on the trainer, but I'm walking a fair bit, so all in all its not too bad.

The MDs told me whilst I was in hospital that I should be 'back to normal' after about 6 months, so I'm aiming for 5 ;) but as Felt_Rider has said, mentally it may be a fair while longer before I venture out on the road again :(

Stay well you guys, its been a great journey so far :D

2. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Hello,

I was going through your thread and I noticed it seems you do most of your training indoors on a trainer. I look at the pictures of the race course and I guess what I find kind of astounding is that with such steep decents and sharp bends you handled them without a problem.

I would guess that while you have great power output that the trainer would do nothing for handling the pack and these roads. How did you get used to it? What speeds were you doing these descents at? How did they feel to you? Grabbing for dear life or just a ride in the park?

Everyone focuses on going up the hill and the trainer will help you with that but I am more interested in people who do not have time to put into the saddle so choose a trainer and yet have no issues with the descents and cornering.

I was talking to my coach the other day and he told me that me and this other guy have the best power readings in the group which he says makes him great in road races but in a crit after the second lap, where did he go? The other guy is part of the b field and I am still in the c field.

-Js

3. lanierb

lanierb New Member

I just wanted to join the chorus thanking SOT for keeping this thread going. Every time I read his posts I want to jump on my bike! ...or even, god forbid, my trainer!!!

4. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Please do not get me wrong...I would love to just ride my trainer all the time and get to 300 watts and higher ftp. I know I can do it with the right amount of time. Damn I wish there were trainer races and we can forget about the crashes and the weather conditions.

I am all 4 it...just need to know how you handle the other parts of the equation...

-Js

5. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Tyson that was a thrill ride to read about and as always a hoot....you're living the dream.

6. Bailsibub

Bailsibub New Member

Hello Tyson,

Good to hear you are stronger this year than the last. Man, you are a great example for guys on this board, me included!

By the way, the pictures reminded me that you live in Japan. You know...we are neighbors. I live in South Korea. Actually, I have seen pictures in the bike magazines here of some of the guys from your pictures. I also did a race here in August that a couple Japanese pro mountain bikers came over for. Good to see the riding is so nice there. We have some good riding here, too.

But the racing here...well, that's another story....

So what I wanted to comment on was your workout schedule. I have tried every weekly training pattern under the sun. And I noticed that you seemed to be training every other day(more or less) these days. And from memory, I think your training at the beginning was set up on a weekly basis, with a couple rides on the weekend.

Well, anyway, I just wanted to say that I have been training every other day for a long time (with the occasional 'experiment' of doing blocks or whatever, which always reminded me it is what works for me). I have found that it makes a big difference in my progress when I space out the workouts like this.

Is this the same for you? Or are you training like this because of time restraints?

7. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Yeah, but next October if we don't race against each other before then, he will be history!:D

Js wrote:

LOL Js, someone in this thread or another (can't remember who) asked for a synopsis of my life - a suggestion I didn't take up at the time.

Maybe I can best answer your question in this way.

During the course of my life I have almost kicked the bucket on several occasions.

1) Was nearly electrocuted being unable to let go of a piece of machinery. I escaped certain death by falling to the floor, and at the same time ripping the tips of my fingers off to escape.

2) Almost drowned whilst swimming in the middle of an ice cold lake. Survived because I remember my mother saying, if you ever get cramp when swimming, turn on your back. I was going down to a watery grave until I turned over and made it to the shore.

3) Lost control of my car on a snow covered bend at 70 mph and ploughed sideways into a tree. The engine finished up on the roof, the passenger compartment was squashed to pulp. The whole engine compartment came back and put slight pressure on my knees. The only injury I had was a severed tendon in my thumb from a piece of broken glass flying through the air when the windscreen shattered.
    The next day I went to take some photos at the local car workshop, and the look on the owners face was a picture. He thought he was seeing a ghost as he had told his mate when they picked the car up, "The guy who was driving this is dead!" :D

4) In Thailand a gang of guys had been given instruction to do away with me
    by the manager of a nightclub. (Just because I threatened to smack his head)
    After they struck me with a boat oar, luckily missing my head and catching me across the shoulders, I got away from them by fleeing into the jungle at 2am in the morning.

5) After speeding away from a traffic light as I always used to when I was young, the car behind with 4 tough loking guys gave chase. This was the middle of London, and the next 20 minute chase would have made a good movie. I took risks like you'd never believe - cutting across 4 lanes of traffic, 2 going one way and 2 the other making them all screech to a halt. Also went round 90 degree corners on the wrong side of the road etc. etc. Suddenly there was a car coming towards me with a blue flashing light and I thought, oh sh-t it's the police. I stopped the car, got out at the same time as the 4 plain clothes detectives in the chase car and said, "Sorry, I didn't know you were the fuzz." They threw me across the bonnet/hood of a parked car and frisked me. Then the driver of the car screamed at me, "Look at my hands. look at my hands." The poor guy was shaking from head to foot. I'd quite enjoyed it actually.
    Apparently there were 6 cars converging on me.:D

Now Js, have I answered your question?

And finally to Wiredued and Lanierb - glad you enjoy the thread.;) TYSON

8. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

Geez, I break my ankle once by slipping on ice and still can not break the stigma of going through another operation and the rehabilitation afterwards if something like that would happen again.

I can see now that with you have nerves of steel my friend. It would seem based upon those pictures you would need it. At 65 (if I read your thread correctly) generating the power you are and taking on the races you have, amazing, guy!

I feel a little embarrased now :( with my whinny threads...it will give me inspiration my friend. I know now there are no excuses...

Stay Free my friend...if I am in your area of Japan next year I will try and drop off the trainer for you. God my business is so centered around that country I really believe I have "turned Japanese". The bike shops I were in, in Tokyo were different to say the least.

On a side note what cat are you now?

-Js

9. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

You are still at it, are you? Did you ever get to 300? Ever beat your surly rival, the pack-a-day character?

I'll have to check back in case that goal of 300 ends up on this list of near-death situations.. [​IMG]

10. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Sorry Bailsibub, our posts must have crossed.
    You don't say how old you are, but in answer to your question; I have done some block training with 3 days in a row, but can't do 3 days at high intensity. They say, and it's obvious, that when you start growing hairs in your nose and ears, you need a day between workouts to recover.
    Mind you, as the great RapDaddyo once said, if you only do one 20 minute L4 interval you don't need a rest as that's a warmup not a workout.:D These days after doing L4 or VO2 Max intervals I tend to spin at 170-220W at a very high cadence for anything up to an hour or more. I think this saw me in good stead last Sunday at Biwa where I was able to draft using a low gear and high cadence, thereby taking the pressure off the quads.
    Did do 2 days in a row in the 2 weeks before Biwa, that is, a good workout in the gym on the Friday then out on the bike on Saturday. It didn't seem to place too much stress on me. Shall be doing the same again this week, but then back to Tues, Thurs in the gym and a hard ride in the mountains on Sundays. That's only 3 days a week, but that's fine until next Spring.
    Keep up the good work. Tyson ;)

Lucy wrote:

Geez Lucy! [​IMG] Talk about a blast from the past! How are you gal? Your name has been mentioned on many an occasion. Are you still murdering that trainer of yours? You'll have to read the thread to find out the answer to your questions - you only need to go back a few posts to the Lake Biwa report.
    Let us know what you're doing. Tyson;)

11. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Js, sorry to say you misinterpreted my answer. :D No not nerves of steel, I'm just a foolhardy survivalist. If you read the report on the first Fukui Prefecture ride you will see just how stupid I am.

Yeah, sure I overtook many riders, but it was more through luck than judgement I survived the descent. How I didn't come off I shall never know. They say you get wiser as you get older, don't believe it. The youngsters were taking care on the slippery road as this sillyoldtwit came hairing past as if he were somehow invincible.:D

12. Lucy_Aspenwind

My name mentioned here many times? No doubt my unparalled reputation as an absolutely fierce competitor of the first magnitude, precedes me [​IMG]

You know, I haven't been on the trainer in something along the lines of 9 months or so. Long story, but in short, I gave myself a break during winter to take up snowboarding, then returned in spring. Followed by some events here and a few others in the East Coast that included time on the track.

How is your professor (RDO) doing? Still giving you tips?

I'll read up on your round the lake report. Sounds like you took some time off yourself.

13. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

You and RDO disappeared from this community around the same time.
    Glad to see you are back. Maybe RDO will be back soon.

14. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

According to my wife nerves of steel = foolhardy but what does she know.

I remember when I was younger and there was no thought about the consequences.
    It is kind of like how many people find religon once the time comes closer...It always did amaze how alot of people who claim no religon are the ones most asking god for help when they are in pain. Trust me I know from personal experience...

-Js

15. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Js I try not to get involved in religious topics, as you always end up offending one side or the other.

Lucy wrote:

9 months - that's a life time. And you were doing so well; we all thought you were pro material. As for RD, I drove him away: You know how I say the wrong thing sometimes.:rolleyes:
    Took a month off here and had a slack month there, so I'm way behind where I should be. The FTP of 300W is coming along, albeit at a snail's pace.
    Anyway Lucy, hope you stick around.
    That reminds me, whatever happened to Whoawhoa, Palewin, Jeff 826 not to mention the abscence of Netscriber? I hope he's over his back problems. And last but not least, where is my old buddy Curlew?

Felt_Rider said:

Alas, I don't think he will be back anytime in the near future. I hope I'm wrong.

Ric Stern is in touch with him though and could probably give us more info.

TYSON ;)

Yesterday 10:13 AM

16. Lucy_Aspenwind

Hi Felt. You haven't been looting and plundering too many of your fellow riders out there while training have you? :)

Er, not exactly. I didn't stop riding for 9 months. Instead, I took a winter break (much needed mentally/physically). Then got back into riding, rode in a few bike events and some track but have trained exclusively outdoors, bypassing the trainer *insert massive sigh of relief here*.

Snail's pace you say? Well how close are you? You still training at that gym or have you anted up for a trainer of your own to use at home?

Sorry to hear about the Professor's departure. He's quite knowledgeable, actually that's an understatement! Still, I think you've gotten enough kernels of wisdom to climb the 300 watt mountain all on your own :)

17. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

:eek: Someone pinch me! I thought Global Warming had caused a permanent shift of the cool mountain breezes away from these parts. Maybe we'll get a little rain. :p

18. Lucy_Aspenwind

No, no. Al Gore's 25,000 sq. ft eco-home has taken brought GW to a grinding halt.

That said, just how parched is this area?

Pinch Pinch. Tis true.

19. acoggan

acoggan Member

The troll returns. :confused:

20. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Quote:
    Maybe RDO will be back soon
    Ric Stern is in touch with him though and could probably give us more info.

Ric isn't in touch with RDO.