It's killing me but..........

Nice job Tyson. You're jumping in pretty fast actually. If I take a long time off it always takes me a few weeks at least before I can do anything remotely hard. Along those lines, it might actually be useful to do a longer/easier session here and there, say 170w for 60 mins (but I don't know what is the right wattage for you so this is just a guess -- the idea is to get a decent workout that's not too mentally taxing).

I hear what you're saying Lan and you could well be right. I might have to drop back and consolidate, however, although I ignore HR during the session (RD's influence/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif), I check my HR at the end of the session and see how fast it comes down. Yesterday my HR finished up at 154bpm and dropped to 115bpm in 1 minute. I tend to use this rate of fall as an indicator of how fit I am.
That was a satisfying rate of fall. Anyway, shall see how tomorrow's workout goes at 200W, then make a decision.
Cheers, Tyson

Originally Posted by Sillyoldtwit .

I hear what you're saying Lan and you could well be right. I might have to drop back and consolidate, however, although I ignore HR during the session (RD's influence/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif), I check my HR at the end of the session and see how fast it comes down. Yesterday my HR finished up at 154bpm and dropped to 115bpm in 1 minute. I tend to use this rate of fall as an indicator of how fit I am.
That was a satisfying rate of fall. Anyway, shall see how tomorrow's workout goes at 200W, then make a decision.
Cheers, Tyson
Good use of HR. I do this also. In fact, it's the only thing I use HR for.

This sport can be so addictive. I managed to kick the habit for quite a long time, however, now I'm back in serious training I can hardly wait to get back on the bike or trainer. The CompuTrainer is definitely the most addictive in a way, because you know it's going to increase your power and you look forward with anticipation to burning up the road at greater and greater speed.
Help, I'm becoming a power junkie again!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Give me power, I've got to have more power!!!!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

Tyson

It is addictive. Glad to see the return of your enthusiasm to training.

Sick as it may seem my favorite training place is indoor on the trainer or rollers. I love outside, but like you I know that whatever discomfort I can handle for longer durations on the trainer equates to something better out on the road.

More power to ya /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

It is addictive. Glad to see the return of your enthusiasm to training.

Sick as it may seem my favorite training place is indoor on the trainer or rollers. I love outside, but like you I know that whatever discomfort I can handle for longer durations on the trainer equates to something better out on the road.

More power to ya /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

So true, speaking of which, the long journey to 300Watts of sheer unadulterated power can be broken down in stages as follows:

1) The impossible dream

2) The distant dream

3) The maturing dream

4) I beginning to sense it dream

5) Almost tangible dream

6) I can taste it dream

7) It's so close, it's 'a hurting me dream'

8a) IT'S REALITY /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

8b) IT'S A NIGHTMARE (can't quite reach 300W and never will) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

Tyson /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Today did 1x30 @ 200Watts followed by 1x5 @ 200W just to prove I could do a little more, then for a bit of nostalgia, banged it up to 300W for 1 minute maintaining a cadence of 90.

For psychological reasons do not want to go below 200W. At least I'm not starting from 130W as per page 1 of this thread./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

With regard to an FTP of 300W, I'm still at the distant dream stage, however, with a good winter's training should be well on the way by March/April.

Out on the road tomorrow (Wed) and on Friday intend to do the first Vo2Max workout on the CT since god knows when, with a view to accelerating the rate of progress.

Tyson

Glad to see you back at it. It was reading this thread that got me to buy a power meter and get on the trainer. May you reach 300 watts at a weight of 1 kilo.

Originally Posted by hrumpole .

Glad to see you back at it. It was reading this thread that got me to buy a power meter and get on the trainer. May you reach 300 watts at a weight of 1 kilo.
Talking to RapDaddyo recently, he thought a great number of people like yourself, and those who perhaps have never posted in these forums, have been inspired by this thread to implement a structured method of training (on the advice given by RD and many, many others), possibly applying a far more scientific approach than yours truly./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif What I do and do not do is basically irrelevant, I am merely the medium through which the 'knowledgable ones' put forward their approach to improving one's performance on the bike.
Anyway, thanks for your wish for me to achieve an FTP of 300W. Hope you are somewhere near an FTP of 300W yourself. I have a long, long way to go. Should be back on the bike tomorrow after a rotten cold this past week- the first one in years./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif
Cheers,
Tyson

Originally Posted by hrumpole .

Glad to see you back at it. It was reading this thread that got me to buy a power meter and get on the trainer.

Talking to RapDaddyo recently, he thought a great number of people like yourself, and those who perhaps have never posted in these forums, have been inspired by this thread to implement a structured method of training (on the advice given by RD and many, many others), possibly applying a far more scientific approach than yours truly./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif What I do and do not do is basically irrelevant, I am merely the medium through which the 'knowledgable ones' put forward their approach to improving one's performance on the bike.
I also was inspired to get a power meter because of this thread. I first bought a set of race wheels and then got the power meter. I wish I had bought the power meter first because I've never raced with the rear race wheel and I could possibly have saved myself a few bucks. Anyway, I agree, "there's gold in them thar hills".

-R

Originally Posted by cooljazz .

I also was inspired to get a power meter because of this thread. I first bought a set of race wheels and then got the power meter. I wish I had bought the power meter first because I've never raced with the rear race wheel and I could possibly have saved myself a few bucks. Anyway, I agree, "there's gold in them thar hills".

-R
Great! I have to confess I still don't have a power meter other than that on the CompuTrainer. Perhaps one day I will see the need and sense of having one on the bike. However, for me the real hard work is done indoors and some concrete means by which one can measure and monitor one's progress is a must.
Which brings me to today. I think I was a little too optimistic in my first Vo2Max workout for ages and also still having the remnants of last weeks heavy cold.

Did 2 x 5 @ 230Watts and 1 x 2 @ 230W and that was me fried both physically and mentally. Still. I live to fight another day. Doing a long ride out in the mountains tomorrow and Saturday to get some miles under my belt and see what happens next week.
Plan to do intervals @ 210 Watts next week and maybe another Vo2 Max session towards the end of the month.
RapDaddyo always told me not to plan too far ahead, but ignoring that advice, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I aim to be doing 230W 20 minute intervals by Xmas.

PS. Still managing to maintain a pace a little above 20mph and a cadence between 86 and 90 in all intervals. Thanks again guys for that advice a few posts back.

Tyson

What is it about the CompuTrainer that makes it so excruciating? Yesterday I did 12 minutes on it and that was me done - literally. Today did 2 hours plus out on the road with lots of climbing including the infamous 15%er, finishing off on the straight 2 km from home with speeds up to 41Kmph, on the way passing a young guy with 'chiselled muscle legs' on an classy bike as if he was standing still. Enjoyed every minute (almost /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif) of the ride. I suppose the only logical answer is, I was riding well below by FTP./img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif Must get a powermeter!

Tyson

Hooray, today is Mister Donuts day. Friday is my 'relax discipline day'. If you are on a strict diet/training regime, I think it is important, for me anyway, to treat yourself now and then. It does wonders psychologically and makes you look forward to getting back into training the next day. Btw, I have a question for the guys across the pond. I notice my local Starbucks staff have donned their Xmas uniforms. On the back of their maroon T-shirts are the words Let's Merry. Now as far as I know 'merry' isn't and never was a verb. Upon questioning, the staff told me the shirts were designed and came from the US. My question is, are Starbucks staff in the US now wearing the same T-shirts and if so is 'merry' now a verb over there?
Shakespeare would turn in his grave!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

OK, let's and get down to Mister Donuts and merry./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Tyson

It's been an amazing "winter" training season so far this year. I define my "winter" training season as starting in November because typically most of my workouts are done on the trainer by the time November rolls around. But the weather has been such that I've only had one trainer ride so far and that was more for convenience than necessity. Last Monday, I did the Test workout from "Training and Racing With A Power Meter":

warm up 5 min all-out 10 min RI 2x1 min (5 min RI) 3x20 sec (3 min RI) 10 min RI 20 min test cool down
Since my training for the previous 3 weeks had been unstructured, I took 5 watts off my estimated FTP,of 270, divided that by .95 and used 280 watts as my starting target for the 20 min test. The first few minutes went ok; I was able to maintain my target for the first 5 minutes but I was starting to feel it in the legs. I kept on trying to maintain my power but it was getting difficult and by 10 min in my average had dropped to 274 watts. After 15 minutes, I was really struggling and my average was down to 270 and my body was screaming at me to quit. "It was killing me" to finish those last 5 minutes but I forced myself to finish, completing the test with an average 269 watts. So it looks like I have some work to do this winter but for now I'm just going to enjoy doing my workouts outside until necessity forces me back to the trainer.

-richard

Originally Posted by cooljazz .

It's been an amazing "winter" training season so far this year. I define my "winter" training season as starting in November because typically most of my workouts are done on the trainer by the time November rolls around. But the weather has been such that I've only had one trainer ride so far and that was more for convenience than necessity. Last Monday, I did the Test workout from "Training and Racing With A Power Meter":

warm up 5 min all-out 10 min RI 2x1 min (5 min RI) 3x20 sec (3 min RI) 10 min RI 20 min test cool down
Since my training for the previous 3 weeks had been unstructured, I took 5 watts off my estimated FTP,of 270, divided that by .95 and used 280 watts as my starting target for the 20 min test. The first few minutes went ok; I was able to maintain my target for the first 5 minutes but I was starting to feel it in the legs. I kept on trying to maintain my power but it was getting difficult and by 10 min in my average had dropped to 274 watts. After 15 minutes, I was really struggling and my average was down to 270 and my body was screaming at me to quit. "It was killing me" to finish those last 5 minutes but I forced myself to finish, completing the test with an average 269 watts. So it looks like I have some work to do this winter but for now I'm just going to enjoy doing my workouts outside until necessity forces me back to the trainer.

-richard
Lol, now you know why this thread is called "It's killing me but..." Anyway, well done CJ. You are well ahead of me; at the moment I can't imagine getting back to 280 watts. After years without a cold, I still can't shake off this one. Still sneezing like mad this morning. Haven't been near the bike or trainer for some time. The problem is, when I'm not riding I get depressed and eat comfort food, ie. donuts/doughnuts, chocolate etc. A double whammy! My aim was a comfortable 230 watts by the end of December, but shall be lucky to achieve 200 watts. Am rapidly going backwards./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif

Tyson

Lol, now you know why this thread is called "It's killing me but..." Anyway, well done CJ. You are well ahead of me; at the moment I can't imagine getting back to 280 watts. After years without a cold, I still can't shake off this one. Still sneezing like mad this morning. Haven't been near the bike or trainer for some time. The problem is, when I'm not riding I get depressed and eat comfort food, ie. donuts/doughnuts, chocolate etc. A double whammy! My aim was a comfortable 230 watts by the end of December, but shall be lucky to achieve 200 watts. Am rapidly going backwards./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif

Tyson

Tyson, I can relate to the comfort food problem. The same thing happens to me during my "down" periods whether it be a recovery period, taper, transition or what have you. During these times, I get restless and, with not having training to turn to to quench that restlessness, I turn to comfort food. This is, for me, what makes the taper period such a hard part of a training program. Often much of that tough discipline that went into losing weight is lost during my taper periods. Anyway, I hope your cold is on the mend by now and that you'll soon be back on the bike or trainer. Happy donut day tomorrow ! :D

Well i sure was inspired by the thread. I had always rode with my buddies and never did any structured training. Had no idea
what a power meter was or even how to go about determining my threshold. Your inspiration, Rapdaddyo advice and many others on this
forum inspired me to change the way i train. No i still don't have a power meter due to the cost ,but i have joined my local club
Computrainer training sessions where i can utilize power numbers to guide my training. It's almost like someone has turned the
lights on.

I did a 30 minute threshold test and came in at 220 watts so i have a long way to go. I would love to get to 300w since at my weight 69kg
i would be at 4.3w/kg. However, i have signed up for their 5 month program 3 times a week and we'll see where that brings me.Again
your thread and all the responses was a tremendous inspiration. You never know maybe i can hit 300w one day.Thanks./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by larryg45 .
I did a 30 minute threshold test and came in at 220 watts so i have a long way to go. I would love to get to 300w since at my weight 69kg i would be at 4.3w/kg. However, i have signed up for their 5 month program 3 times a week and we'll see where that brings me.Again
your thread and all the responses was a tremendous inspiration. You never know maybe i can hit 300w one day.Thanks./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
220W for 30 mins is not shabby at all. Glad to hear the thread inspired you and that you are already seeing results. Do put the PM high on your list. It will allow you to take your structured training on the road. If you do get a PM, absolutely get an Ant+ PM. Good luck.

New indoor 20 min PR (at a measly 211 watts). Only 90w to go. Current plan is The Hunted or HHNF ( (sufferfest videos) on one day, then Angels (10OU, 3x8) or Local Hero on the other. Plus one group ride that's way faster than I am. (though it's taking longer to get dropped). Adds up to around 4.5hrs a week. If I HTFU, who knows, maybe more...

Rock on, fellas.