It's killing me but..........

This link is wasted in jokes. http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12674956/cycling-explained It explains this thread in greater detail./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Tyson

Originally Posted by Sillyoldtwit .

It is addictive. Glad to see the return of your enthusiasm to training.

Sick as it may seem my favorite training place is indoor on the trainer or rollers. I love outside, but like you I know that whatever discomfort I can handle for longer durations on the trainer equates to something better out on the road.

More power to ya /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

So true, speaking of which, the long journey to 300Watts of sheer unadulterated power can be broken down in stages as follows:

1) The impossible dream

2) The distant dream

3) The maturing dream

4) I beginning to sense it dream

5) Almost tangible dream

6) I can taste it dream

7) It's so close, it's 'a hurting me dream'

8a) IT'S REALITY /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

8b) IT'S A NIGHTMARE (can't quite reach 300W and never will) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

Tyson /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
I dream off Jeannie.

(not only am i showing my age - I'll get my coat)

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

felt->Enjoy the success.

LM->I can not imagine doing that much running. I hear my joints screaming now!

-js

I try to ignore my joints screams!

So true, speaking of which, the long journey to 300Watts of sheer unadulterated power can be broken down in stages as follows:

1) The impossible dream

2) The distant dream

3) The maturing dream

4) I beginning to sense it dream

5) Almost tangible dream

6) I can taste it dream

7) It's so close, it's 'a hurting me dream'

8a) IT'S REALITY /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

8b) IT'S A NIGHTMARE (can't quite reach 300W and never will) /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif

Tyson /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
8a) and 8b) is exactly the point in the race where you make the break or you miss it, i think it is not purely physical or watt related, it takes also a lot of gut to sustain those minutes or seconds at maximal pain, it can happen at mid distance, in the beggining or at closing but it always happens and decides your result of the day,

Quote: Originally Posted by larryg45 .

..........No i still don't have a power meter due to the cost,.......

Larry -

The Kurt Kinetic Power Computer (about $80.00) was the way I got the watt feedback from my indoor trainer rides before I got a power meter. My Power Tap went to college this fall with my son. I was sorry to lose the power meter but thrilled that my son has developed so he is thinking about his training and asking questions that only training with a power meter can answer. So I am back to using the Kinetic Power Computer. I love it. I can see the progress and, like you, as I spin away the thought DOES cross my mind....... "Will this be the 300 watt summer?"

12/1 2011 1X60 = 205 watts
12/7 2011 1X60 = 227 watts
1/5/ 2012 1X60 = 235 watts

Regards,

Curlew

Curlew, great to hear from you again! Thought you had permanently retired to greener pastures. I'm recovering from 2 colds one after the other. However, I'm determined to get back although it's going to be a hard slog. I have to do it this year as it is the big 7-0 year.
I probably won't start posting any figures until they are worth posting, possibly around March time barring injury or damn colds.
Anyway, take care and best of luck at achieving a 300W FTP. Don't look round though, there's someone on your rear wheel./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Tyson

Thought you had permanently retired to greener pastures...........

No, still riding hard.,..... I haven't been able to shake that little addiction to power that I picked up here learning from and laughing with you guys on this thread.

Originally Posted by Sillyoldtwit:
>>>I'm recovering from 2 colds one after the other. However, I'm determined to get back although it's going to be a hard slog.

Somehow I have escaped the colds and sinus infections that I usually get late in the fall and early in the winter. This year I'll probably get the colds AFTER I have my 1X60 watts built up nicely. Once you get your health back, I am betting that those watts in the 200-250 range come roaring back.

The days are getting longer. I can't wait to hear that click-click-click-click sound of a hundred riders around me securing their cleats and pushing off. It won't be long now.

Curlew

Hi Curfew

Thanks for the info. i'm going to look into that. Your numbers are way better than mine since my 220w on 11/15 was only for 30 minutes. Since i have been training on
the computrainer i have definitely improved but i have a long..... way to go. They have us doing some 30second intervals and i do those around 300w and i can tell you
when i'm doing these i think there is no way i could ever hold that power for 30 minutes let alone an hour.

However, my attitude is to keep pluggin away lilttle bit by little bit and see where my genetics will take me. Frankly,i have no idea whether it's 300w or 240w. I'm just
hoping that it's 300w./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Again thanks for the input./img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Larry

Originally Posted by larryg45 .

..............They have us doing some 30second intervals and i do those around 300w and i can tell you when i'm doing these i think there is no way i could ever hold that power for 30 minutes let alone an hour.
Your club Computrainer sessions will let you see your watts creep up over your winter training period.There is a lot of help in this thread about the right balance between training volume and intensity. This helped me put training plans together that improved power over the winter. Getting those power numbers week to week and month to month will really be motivating. They will show you the MAGNITUDE of the changes that have occurred that you would have missed without a power meter. For example, in early December 1X5 at 265 watts is often all I can do and I wish that I hadn't taken it so easy in October and November. Most years, if I apply the principles in this thread, I can get my 1X60's up to 265 by the middle of March. With the power meter your realize in March that you are riding for an hour at power levels that were hard to sustain for 5 minutes when you were relatively untrained early in the season. Cool! However, I don't want to get your hopes up for riding an hour at your early season 30 second power, but, who knows??? I do know that you will be earning lots of respect in the group that you ride with long before you reach an FTP of 300. When your friends notice the change in your riding and ask you about the training you did over the winter, what will you tell them?...."Changed my diet"....."Spent a lot of time in the gym"

Good luck! Post your progress here to inspire others!

It really is amazing. I've gone from 20min @ 190 to 20 min @ 234 (if i could only string two of those together). Every week I get a little stronger.

Curfew

Thanks for those kind words. I think if my friends notice a difference in my riding i'm going to tell them
i'm a gifted athlete./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif I will post my progress as the winter progresses. Thanks again.

Hrumpole

That is some pretty impressive improvement! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif Sure hope i'm as fortunate to get that kind of improvement. Keep up the good work And as Curfew says
update your progress to help inspire others./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by vspa .

8a) and 8b) is exactly the point in the race where you make the break or you miss it, i think it is not purely physical or watt related, it takes also a lot of gut to sustain those minutes or seconds at maximal pain, it can happen at mid distance, in the beggining or at closing but it always happens and decides your result of the day,

I just read the Hincapie interview in Peleton and he makes a comment regarding the difficulty of Flanderen - "it's above hard, the SRM numbers are crazy, you could never touch them in training". This is where the mind takes over. Of course one has their physical limits but very often they are not what our body tells us.

Used the sufferfest on trainerroad (cheap computrainer)
2x20 then 1 x 3:30
220, 203, then 257 for the 330. Second interval was a disaster--I just could not hold on. Then beat the 3 minute AP target by 15 watts. Go figure. Maybe it's the pacing, but I just seem to do better on 20 minute "builds" - FTP then kick at the end as opposed to FTP, surge into VO2, stay there, and seemingly never leave...

2x20 at 214,212. Much better pacing. Finished strong, and lowest drops were into high l3; most time spent in l4

Originally Posted by hrumpole .

2x20 at 214,212. Much better pacing. Finished strong, and lowest drops were into high l3; most time spent in l4
The 2nd 20 is the best indicator of your sustainable power. In fact, when I feel that I'm ready to step up my power for my L4s I will do a 2x20 or 2x30 at my current L4 target in the first segment and my new L4 target in the last segment. Psychologically I prefer to finish strong rather than having to back off because I can't sustain the effort. Note that I am not saying that your FTP is 100% of your last 20 of a 2x20. It is probably a bit lower than that, but nonetheless it looks as though 210-215 is a good L4 training target for you.

Thanks, RDO!
Sat: 5x4 @ 234, 248, 258, 248, 251. (yet another sfest vid)

First one was the hardest. These results seem to gel with what you said about 215 being a target. The particular intervals are not "steady" in the sense that there are pacing and cadence changes that I try to follow along with. (85w to go, I guess).

Hopeful to see some bigger #s in group ride tomorrow. I tend to generate higher numbers outside.

2x20 @225, 215, then 3:30 @ 244.
First interval was well-paced-generally hit targets. Second interval was much harder. Probably did the first one a little too fast. Still, when averaged out, 5w higher than last week's workout.

This weekend (cold and icy-all indoors)-
1x20@226 (the hunted-sfest)
Series of shorter intervals - (local hero) - met or exceeded power targets on each one. (90 minutes total time). The longer it went on, the better I did with the targets. (Really starting to enjoy the trainer.)

This week-
1 hr 10 min @ threshold
48 min v02
49 min tempo

Hoping to see a bump next week.