...it's no wonder so few Scots get on their bikes

I see there are lots of existing and proposed cycle paths. But will they be designed, built, and
maintained to a standard that cyclists will use? A poor cycle path is worse than none 'cos motorists
get annoyed at cyclists using the road when there's a cycle path adjacent and are therefore less
considerate than usual. Bill

Two wheels are cool but four's a bore.

Simon Mason wrote:

> "Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Article from last nights Evening Times in Glasgow
> >
> > http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7006443.html
>
> I was always under the impression it was because of the hills. I mean, you get bad traffic
> everywhere.

A bit of an unfair view of cycling in Glasgow he did pick the busiest roads on a tour round the
city centre.

Allan

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Article from last nights Evening Times in Glasgow
> >
> > http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7006443.html
>
> I was always under the impression it was because of the hills. I mean, you get bad traffic
> everywhere.

It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot to
hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us Scot's
are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)

Stereotype, what stereotype?

Graeem ;-)

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
> fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot
> to hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
> panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us
> Scot's are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)
>
> Stereotype, what stereotype?

Eat the pizza, chips & DF Mars at the shop, drink the IB then nip next door to the off licence & buy
a half bottle of your country's most famous product to take home -- many brands are available in a
'hip flask' shaped bottle that will fit nicely in the rear pocket of your jersey. Stop frequently on
the way home for a shot.

No problem. No stereo (nicked by some scouser).

:)

> > Stereotype, what stereotype?
>
> Eat the pizza, chips & DF Mars at the shop, drink the IB then nip next
door
> to the off licence & buy a half bottle of your country's most famous
product
> to take home --

Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle unless they've changed their marketing since I left.

many brands are available in a 'hip flask' shaped bottle
> that will fit nicely in the rear pocket of your jersey. Stop frequently
on
> the way home for a shot.
>
> No problem. No stereo (nicked by some scouser).

> :)

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> spake thus:

> It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
> fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot
> to hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
> panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us
> Scot's are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)
>
> Stereotype, what stereotype?

Just a bit stereotypical - I *never* tried a deep fried mars bar...

-------------------------------------
http://www.glasgowbike.fsnet.co.uk/
-------------------------------------

James H

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:35:44 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> buy a half bottle of your country's most famous product
>> to take home --
>
>Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle unless they've changed their marketing since I left.

The fortified wine of choice in the West of Scotland is actually quite geographically specific.
While it may have been Buckfast in your area it's Eldorado in another and Lanliq elswhere. Of course
Thunderbirds is the new kid on the block and the choice of your more upwardly mobile jaikkie.

There actually was funded research to produce a map of fortified wine consumption in the West of
Scotland. Similiarly there was a "salt n sauce" study in the East of Scotland to determined the
dividing line of where you're offered sauce with your chips as opposed to vinegar. Both were a few
years ago and I can't find a link.

By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
diligent research) I never have.

Cheers! Stephen

"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message

> By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
> diligent research) I never have.

I've never seen them but heard of them in just as many places. However, the good old deep fried
fruit cake for breakfast, I've seen that.

OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a few
years ago.

As a coincidence I did go to the chip shop on my (special chip shop and offie) bike today. I have a
backpack - although its a good job its only 300yards away as your back gets a bit warm after a
couple of mins.

Steve McGinty wondered:
> By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
> diligent research) I never have.

Dunno about Scotland, but I regularly used to go out and get one at lunchtime when I worked in
Tunbridge Wells (the chippy is No 1 Camden Road, I've no idea if they still do them).

I'd love to find somewhere locally now that does them - the taste and texture of a deep fried
Mars bar are right up there with orgasm in the list of sensations you'll want to repeat over and
over again.

Thomas Paine

Allan McVie wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>"Steve McGinty" <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Article from last nights Evening Times in Glasgow
>>>
>>> http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7006443.html
>>
>> I was always under the impression it was because of the hills. I mean, you get bad traffic
>> everywhere.
>

> A bit of an unfair view of cycling in Glasgow he did pick the busiest roads on a tour round the
> city centre.

Indeed, I used to cycle regularly in Glasgow, and I don't recall it ever being as bad as that, even
on a particularly bad day.

All this article will do is discourage more people.

Simon

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a few
>years ago.

Ardrossan!

That brings back some memories, I lived and worked up there for some time a few years back. It was
in Ardrossan that I ate the best bacon sandwich I ever had :eek:)

Pretty good Singapore noodles from the Chinese takeaway too. Can you tell I'm hungry?

Anyway, I can confirm for you that it would indeed have been deep fried pizza you were served. Did
you not notice that all the pies were also deep fried? Instead of cooking them oven style, the pies
just go in the fryer with everything else.

Bob

"J Houston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just a bit stereotypical - I *never* tried a deep fried mars bar... James H

To be honest, neither have I. Apparently most places that used to sell them have stopped. Their
reason seems to be that the Mars bars regularly burst when being fried and you ended up with Mars
bar gunk throughout the oil meaning it had to be changed so rather than costing them a few pence it
cost them a few quid.

I've also never had a deep fried pizza (although they are widely available). Mind you, I *have* been
known to sample Irn Bru after a days cycling or canoeing.

Have fun! (and careful with those arteries :)

Graeme

How things move on. Living as I did in Bearsden (the ultimate leafy suburb to those who don't know)
I had to clean up several bottles of bucky from the Roman Wall behind my house. Working in Airdrie,
I can confirm that Bucky was very big over there- the texture of the smashed glass must have been
very appealing to the locals.

I must admit that I have never heard of Eldorado or Lanliq. Are these unique to the West
of Scotland?

I now live in south west England, and on the M5 I pass signs to Buckfast Abbey. I must go in
sometime and ask them about their marketing in central Scotland, and how they're responding to the
htreats from these interlopers.

> I see there are lots of existing and proposed cycle paths. But will they be designed, built, and
> maintained to a standard that cyclists will use? A poor cycle path is worse than none 'cos
> motorists get annoyed at cyclists using the road when there's a cycle path adjacent and are
> therefore less considerate than usual. Bill

What's the latest on the "Glasgow's crappy bike lanes" web site. Wasn't it looking for a new home?

Jeremy Parker

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:47:43 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a
>>few years ago.
>
>Ardrossan!
>
>That brings back some memories, I lived and worked up there for some time a few years back. It was
>in Ardrossan that I ate the best bacon sandwich I ever had :eek:)
>
>Pretty good Singapore noodles from the Chinese takeaway too. Can you tell I'm hungry?
>
>Anyway, I can confirm for you that it would indeed have been deep fried pizza you were served. Did
>you not notice that all the pies were also deep fried? Instead of cooking them oven style, the pies
>just go in the fryer with everything else.

Deep fried pizza and Eldorado wine appear on this list - obviously a couple of years old given the
refernce to Donald Dewar (and the popularity of the Labour Party!)

Cheers! Stephen

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:35:44 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "al_Mossah"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> to the off licence & buy a half bottle of your country's most famous product to take home --
>
>Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle

Neither is it a product of Scotland. It is a product of England.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:24:07 +0000 someone who may be Steve McGinty
<stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote this:-

>By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
>diligent research) I never have.

Yes, at the foot of Leith Walk. However, that establishment has been "improved" for a few years and
no longer advertises them.