...it's no wonder so few Scots get on their bikes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve McGinty, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  3. Bikingbill

    Bikingbill Guest

    I see there are lots of existing and proposed cycle paths. But will they be designed, built, and
    maintained to a standard that cyclists will use? A poor cycle path is worse than none 'cos motorists
    get annoyed at cyclists using the road when there's a cycle path adjacent and are therefore less
    considerate than usual. Bill

    Two wheels are cool but four's a bore.

  4. Allan McVie

    Allan McVie Guest

  5. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Article from last nights Evening Times in Glasgow
    > >
    > > http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7006443.html
    >
    > I was always under the impression it was because of the hills. I mean, you get bad traffic
    > everywhere.

    It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
    fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot to
    hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
    panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us Scot's
    are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)

    Stereotype, what stereotype?

    Graeem ;-)

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
    > fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot
    > to hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
    > panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us
    > Scot's are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)
    >
    > Stereotype, what stereotype?

    Eat the pizza, chips & DF Mars at the shop, drink the IB then nip next door to the off licence & buy
    a half bottle of your country's most famous product to take home -- many brands are available in a
    'hip flask' shaped bottle that will fit nicely in the rear pocket of your jersey. Stop frequently on
    the way home for a shot.

    No problem. No stereo (nicked by some scouser).

    :)

  7. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    > > Stereotype, what stereotype?
    >
    > Eat the pizza, chips & DF Mars at the shop, drink the IB then nip next
    door
    > to the off licence & buy a half bottle of your country's most famous
    product
    > to take home --

    Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle unless they've changed their marketing since I left.

    many brands are available in a 'hip flask' shaped bottle
    > that will fit nicely in the rear pocket of your jersey. Stop frequently
    on
    > the way home for a shot.
    >
    > No problem. No stereo (nicked by some scouser).

    > :)

  8. J Houston

    J Houston Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> spake thus:

    > It's nothing to do with that! How on earth am I going to get my deep fried pizza and chips, deep
    > fried Mars bar and 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru back from the chippy on my bike! The pizza's too hot
    > to hold and goes all limp and soggy if I tie it to my bike rack, the Mars bar drips grease in my
    > panniers and the Irn Bru doesn't, sorry, *disnae* fit in my bottle cage! Get a grip Simon, us
    > Scot's are dedicated to our world famous diet and bikes just don't fit into the equation :)
    >
    > Stereotype, what stereotype?

    Just a bit stereotypical - I *never* tried a deep fried mars bar...

    -------------------------------------
    http://www.glasgowbike.fsnet.co.uk/
    -------------------------------------

    James H

  9. On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:35:44 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > buy a half bottle of your country's most famous product
    >> to take home --
    >
    >Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle unless they've changed their marketing since I left.

    The fortified wine of choice in the West of Scotland is actually quite geographically specific.
    While it may have been Buckfast in your area it's Eldorado in another and Lanliq elswhere. Of course
    Thunderbirds is the new kid on the block and the choice of your more upwardly mobile jaikkie.

    There actually was funded research to produce a map of fortified wine consumption in the West of
    Scotland. Similiarly there was a "salt n sauce" study in the East of Scotland to determined the
    dividing line of where you're offered sauce with your chips as opposed to vinegar. Both were a few
    years ago and I can't find a link.

    By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
    diligent research) I never have.

    Cheers! Stephen

  10. W K

    W K Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message

    > By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
    > diligent research) I never have.

    I've never seen them but heard of them in just as many places. However, the good old deep fried
    fruit cake for breakfast, I've seen that.

    OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a few
    years ago.

    As a coincidence I did go to the chip shop on my (special chip shop and offie) bike today. I have a
    backpack - although its a good job its only 300yards away as your back gets a bit warm after a
    couple of mins.

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Steve McGinty wondered:
    > By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
    > diligent research) I never have.

    Dunno about Scotland, but I regularly used to go out and get one at lunchtime when I worked in
    Tunbridge Wells (the chippy is No 1 Camden Road, I've no idea if they still do them).

    I'd love to find somewhere locally now that does them - the taste and texture of a deep fried
    Mars bar are right up there with orgasm in the list of sensations you'll want to repeat over and
    over again.

    Thomas Paine

  12. Simon Proven

    Simon Proven Guest

    Allan McVie wrote:
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    >>"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Article from last nights Evening Times in Glasgow
    >>>
    >>> http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7006443.html
    >>
    >> I was always under the impression it was because of the hills. I mean, you get bad traffic
    >> everywhere.
    >

    > A bit of an unfair view of cycling in Glasgow he did pick the busiest roads on a tour round the
    > city centre.

    Indeed, I used to cycle regularly in Glasgow, and I don't recall it ever being as bad as that, even
    on a particularly bad day.

    All this article will do is discourage more people.

    Simon

  13. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a few
    >years ago.

    Ardrossan!

    That brings back some memories, I lived and worked up there for some time a few years back. It was
    in Ardrossan that I ate the best bacon sandwich I ever had :eek:)

    Pretty good Singapore noodles from the Chinese takeaway too. Can you tell I'm hungry?

    Anyway, I can confirm for you that it would indeed have been deep fried pizza you were served. Did
    you not notice that all the pies were also deep fried? Instead of cooking them oven style, the pies
    just go in the fryer with everything else.

    Bob

  14. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    "J Houston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just a bit stereotypical - I *never* tried a deep fried mars bar... James H

    To be honest, neither have I. Apparently most places that used to sell them have stopped. Their
    reason seems to be that the Mars bars regularly burst when being fried and you ended up with Mars
    bar gunk throughout the oil meaning it had to be changed so rather than costing them a few pence it
    cost them a few quid.

    I've also never had a deep fried pizza (although they are widely available). Mind you, I *have* been
    known to sample Irn Bru after a days cycling or canoeing.

    Have fun! (and careful with those arteries :)

    Graeme

  15. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    How things move on. Living as I did in Bearsden (the ultimate leafy suburb to those who don't know)
    I had to clean up several bottles of bucky from the Roman Wall behind my house. Working in Airdrie,
    I can confirm that Bucky was very big over there- the texture of the smashed glass must have been
    very appealing to the locals.

    I must admit that I have never heard of Eldorado or Lanliq. Are these unique to the West
    of Scotland?

    I now live in south west England, and on the M5 I pass signs to Buckfast Abbey. I must go in
    sometime and ask them about their marketing in central Scotland, and how they're responding to the
    htreats from these interlopers.

  16. > I see there are lots of existing and proposed cycle paths. But will they be designed, built, and
    > maintained to a standard that cyclists will use? A poor cycle path is worse than none 'cos
    > motorists get annoyed at cyclists using the road when there's a cycle path adjacent and are
    > therefore less considerate than usual. Bill

    What's the latest on the "Glasgow's crappy bike lanes" web site. Wasn't it looking for a new home?

    Jeremy Parker

  17. On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:47:43 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>OTOH I refused to believe that I was being served deep fried pizza in ardrossan, but that was a
    >>few years ago.
    >
    >Ardrossan!
    >
    >That brings back some memories, I lived and worked up there for some time a few years back. It was
    >in Ardrossan that I ate the best bacon sandwich I ever had :eek:)
    >
    >Pretty good Singapore noodles from the Chinese takeaway too. Can you tell I'm hungry?
    >
    >Anyway, I can confirm for you that it would indeed have been deep fried pizza you were served. Did
    >you not notice that all the pies were also deep fried? Instead of cooking them oven style, the pies
    >just go in the fryer with everything else.

    Deep fried pizza and Eldorado wine appear on this list - obviously a couple of years old given the
    refernce to Donald Dewar (and the popularity of the Labour Party!)

    Cheers! Stephen

  18. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:35:44 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "al_Mossah"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> to the off licence & buy a half bottle of your country's most famous product to take home --
    >
    >Bucky doesn't yet come in a hip-flask bottle

    Neither is it a product of Scotland. It is a product of England.

  19. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:24:07 +0000 someone who may be Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote this:-

    >By the way has anyone *actually* seen a chippy selling the notorious fried mars bar, as (despite
    >diligent research) I never have.

    Yes, at the foot of Leith Walk. However, that establishment has been "improved" for a few years and
    no longer advertises them.