It's not about the Bike What is it??????

redneck47441

Sep 9, 2009
I've so far rode about 360 miles my buddy who is smaller than me has only rode about 200 miles so far and we train at the gym together I'm much strong! I have a fuji roubaix pro and he has a fuji lower end model with 3 cogs vs mine with 2 cogs anyways were in about the same level I'd say fitness wise except when we ride he's always pulling away from me I don't understand what's wrong the only thing I can think is I have different gears do I?? Would a different gear set be better for a beginner like me he has a begginner level bike and much faster? What am I doing wrong?

I have the same problem, my friend i ride with is 2 stone lighter than me though. I have a good fitness level rivalling his and my bike if anything is a better spec but still after 20 miles+ he pulls away so easily and i cannot catch him.
This was the case until recently, i now keep up and sometimes pull away up hills!!
The painful truth is that time in the saddle + correct gearing use + effort = results.
Its not the bike its the rider... I'm not the most experienced rider but the differences between the great riders and the not so great riders is their attitude and spirit.
You can do it, play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses, dont just plod on and suffer.
I'm a clydesdale and can keep up with a wee slip of a guy (10 stone wet through) over 40 miles..
If i can , you can..
Never say die...!!
Go on son, give it some hammer...!

Power to weight ratio. You said he was smaller. So if all else is equal, he will be faster because he is carrying less weight. I am a big guy and have a friend that is small. I can hang with him in the flats but the minute we start climbing, he can drop me like a bad habit.

It's not about the bike, it's about the engine.

Your friend obviously has either a greater power / weight ratio (if he pulls away on hills) or a greater power / drag ratio (if he pulls away on flats). Or maybe both. There are therefore three things you can do.......lose weight, become more aero, and generate more power. All will increase the magnitude of your ratios and if you work hard enough, they might become bigger than those of your friend.

You get more power by riding a lot and, if you are really keen, by training. There's tons of stuff on this site about what to do if you want to be a bit serious about training.

Good luck.

redneck47441 said:
....we train at the gym together I'm much strong!... I'd say fitness wise except when we ride he's always pulling away from me ...What am I doing wrong?
You're probably not doing anything wrong, you just need more time on the bike out riding and training. What you see in the gym is strength, and the ability to ride a bike faster isn't all that closely related to strength. From an endurance sport or at least cycling standpoint your friend has more fitness regardless of what you see in the gym.

As the posters above said, your friend has higher power to weight, power to frontal area and drag (CdA) or both and from that standpoint has more cycling specific fitness. Your friend could simply have the right genetic makeup for better endurance performance with limited training or have previous experience in another endurance sport like running, cross country skiing or rowing that gives him a bit of a leg up without much training but either way you can both improve with continued training on the bike and no one can predict which of you will improve more with time.

In the extreme, lifting heavier weights in the gym requires muscles with higher peak contractile forces which means muscles with larger cross sectional area or 'thick' muscles. Individual muscle fibers can only hold so many mitochondria which means 'thick' strong muscles are at a disadvantage during endurance events. Endurance sports favor muscles with high mitochondrial density which means 'thin' individual muscle fibers but a lot of them, they don't have to be very strong from a peak force standpoint since riding along at even pro race speeds and powers only requires an average force of about 50 pounds per pedal stroke which isn't a lot of force.

If you're an average sized adult male and you can walk up a flight of stairs then you can repeatedly lift way more than 50 pounds with each leg no problem, the trick is doing it 80 to 110 times per minute for hours on end and that requires: heart stroke volume, reb blood cell count, capillary density to working muscles, mitochondrial density in the working muscles, a good ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fiber and a bunch of other things that you get by riding a bike, not by lifting weights in the gym. Keep riding and those things will develop, keep training smart and they'll develop faster and to a higher level.

Yeah, it's not about the bike, but it's also not about who's stronger in the gym. As someone said above it's about the rider with the best balance of 'engine' to weight and aero drag. So work on the 'engine' and work on the weight and drag if those are issues for you.

Good luck,
-Dave

Yojimbo_ said:
Your friend obviously has either a greater power / weight ratio (if he pulls away on hills) or a greater power / drag ratio (if he pulls away on flats). Or maybe both. There are therefore three things you can do.......lose weight, become more aero, and generate more power.

And don't underestimate the value of pure Force Of Will. It's entirely possible that your friend simply wants it more than you do.

Yojimbo_ said:
It's not about the bike, it's about the engine.

Your friend obviously has either a greater power / weight ratio (if he pulls away on hills) or a greater power / drag ratio (if he pulls away on flats). Or maybe both. There are therefore three things you can do.......lose weight, become more aero, and generate more power. All will increase the magnitude of your ratios and if you work hard enough, they might become bigger than those of your friend.

You get more power by riding a lot and, if you are really keen, by training. There's tons of stuff on this site about what to do if you want to be a bit serious about training.

Good luck.

Agree to this. Plus we also come with different types of engines. Slow twitch and fast twitch muscles mix. Hence there are natural sprinters and climbers. There are different training approaches to improve on your weaknesses. Plyometrics training gives you more explosive strength and speed. Weight lifting builds strength though you should avoid bulking up (remember power to weight ratio). We can all have the same level of endurance fitness but when the terrain changes, it can highlight differences in strength, speed and explosive power.

Also look at your group ride strategy. The smaller guys (70 to 100 pounds lighter) I ride with like to let me pull on the flats and then push it up the hills. I have gotten strong enough to hang with them but it is still hard. When you are riding with your friend make sure that you are not doing all the pulling and then having to chase him up the hills.

Something that may be a big factor is how the bike fits. You may find that even small seat, cleat or handlebar adjustments may make a significant difference.

It's all about the chicks and beer. Even my slightly rotund gut can drop these single guys that don't partake of the amber nectar.

Warning though... Don't try that stuff that Lance is advertising. It'll do nothing for you. You seen how bad he's going since he started drinking that brew? Yikes...

swampy1970 said:
Warning though... Don't try that stuff that Lance is advertising. It'll do nothing for you. You seen how bad he's going since he started drinking that brew? Yikes...
No shame. Never miss a chance to bag on Armstrong. :rolleyes:

don't forget to inflate the tires with the "Texas Racing Air"! haha..

great to hear these little rivalries between friends. I think if you guys keep pushing each other, you'll both improve in many ways. keep it up.