It's not from me

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    out pornographic emails.

    If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
    assured it is not from *me*.

    I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response to my
    concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has happened -
    according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to
    anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might be.

    Sincerely

    helen simmons

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On 9 Jun 2003, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    > out pornographic emails.
    >
    > If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
    > assured it is not from *me*.
    >
    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response
    > to my concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has
    > happened - according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my
    > password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not
    > what it might be.

    Bad luck. Are you sure that your account was actually hacked? It is very easy to fake
    "From" headers?

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  3. Mike Quin

    Mike Quin Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) writes:

    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response
    > to my concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has
    > happened - according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my
    > password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not
    > what it might be.

    The most likely explanation is that a spammer has forged the 'From:' line on his messages to appear
    to have come from you. This is fairly common, with addresses picked at random from the lists that
    the spammers use.

    --
    Mike Quin <[email protected]> :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::

  4. >account was actually hacked? It is very easy to fake "From" headers?

    Just going off what AOL told me had likely happened :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. >The most likely explanation is that a spammer has forged the 'From:' line on his messages to appear
    >to have come from you. This is fairly common, with addresses picked at random from the lists that
    >the spammers use.

    entirely possible - but I'm just going off what AOL told me had likely happened
    :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > >The most likely explanation is that a spammer has forged the 'From:' line on his messages to
    > >appear to have come from you. This is fairly common, with addresses picked at random from the
    > >lists that the spammers use.
    >
    > entirely possible - but I'm just going off what AOL told me had likely
    happened
    > :-(
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Just further backs up my theory about computers - spawn of satan sent to confuse and distress
    us ;-) Dave.
    p.s - it isn't the PSF alter ego branching out into a new business is it ? ;oD

  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    > out pornographic emails.

    No bibshorts I trust?

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  8. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Oh no - the PSF is very, very proper!

    And there was I thinking that these messages contained explicit pictures of attractive young people
    in bib-shorts!

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
    hacked
    > into and used to send out pornographic emails.

    What a relief I had been very concerned when I saw posts seemingly to be from you discussing
    maternal bosums heaving and giving out invitations to kiss your ring.

    I'm glad to hear these licentous posts were the work of an imposter.

  10. >I'm glad to hear these licentous posts were the work of an imposter.

    Ack Frank - the stuff I found out about via email this morning was *nasty* and not at all even
    vaguely amusing. It really was some nasty stuff :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > >I'm glad to hear these licentous posts were the work of an imposter.
    >
    > Ack Frank - the stuff I found out about via email this morning was *nasty*
    and
    > not at all even vaguely amusing. It really was some nasty stuff :-(
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :eek:(.

    Seriously one thing I would check is that you don't have a virus, these can read through your
    outlook contact lists and send emails to people you know - which is infinitely worse than just a
    random mailing (business contacts etc). You said you ran a firewall, but you didn't mention
    anti-virus. If you don't have anti-virus running you should check your machine immediately.

    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Is good and free.

    I would also advise, don't believe too much of what AOL tell you they probably are just talking off
    the top of their heads and haven't even investigated.

  12. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On 09 Jun 2003 12:06:14 GMT, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    >>I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :eek:(.
    >
    >:) Don't worry Frank - I didn't take offence at you.
    >
    >>Seriously one thing I would check is that you don't have a virus, these can read through your
    >>outlook contact lists and send emails to people you know -
    >
    > I have an up-to-date virus checker & have it running all the time I'm online + never, but never
    > open attachments from anyone I'm not expecting one from and even then - I vrisus check before
    > opening, plus virus check entire system daily, etc., etc and don't use outlook. Short of viewing
    > the computer screen via a condom stretched over it, I practice safe computing :)

    is worth checking again, the new bugbear virus is spreading like mad at the moment, I've had 5
    copies on email and the work network is exploding.

    Symantec has a removal tool to check with

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected] moval.tool.html

    Steve

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >>Seriously one thing I would check is that you don't have a virus, these can read through your
    >>outlook contact lists and send emails to people you know -
    >
    > I have an up-to-date virus checker & have it running all the time I'm online + never, but never
    > open attachments from anyone I'm not expecting one from and even then - I vrisus check before
    > opening, plus virus check entire system daily, etc., etc and don't use outlook.

    Thats covered most things!

    > Short of viewing the computer screen via a condom stretched over it, I practice safe computing :)

    <possibility of granma-egg-sucking-lesson> Um, there is one more thing. If you use Internet
    Explorer, there are (far too) frequent updates for it. A lot of these are patches for
    vulnerabilities which can lead to viruses and trojans landing on your computer from malicious web
    pages. You won't get much protection from these from the measures you mentioned (not sure about
    "etc., etc). I find it easier to use a different browser.

    Also, once you have had something like this, its a _really_ good idea (after removing it) to change
    all your passwords.

    FWIW, I have a bargepole here specifically intended for not touching AOL.

    Jim Price

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    > out pornographic emails.
    >
    > If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
    > assured it is not from *me*.

    You mean the ones with the links to websites showing butt naked paving slabs?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > >account was actually hacked? It is very easy to fake "From" headers?

    > Just going off what AOL told me had likely happened :-(

    I would be inclined to think that any technical pronouncement from AOL should be assumed wrong until
    proven completely wrong :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > is worth checking again, the new bugbear virus is spreading like mad at
    the
    > moment, I've had 5 copies on email and the work network is exploding.

    I use non-Microsoft mail servers and clients for exactly that reason :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  17. >You mean the ones with the links to websites showing butt naked paving slabs?

    Well not paving slabs Tony, and it included video and it was *nasty* :-(

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    This is sent from a redundant email. Mail sent to it is dumped. My correct one can be gleaned from
    :- h$**$$e$l$**e$n$**$d$**$o$$t**$$s$**$imo$ns**@a$$**o$l.c$$*o$m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > I use non-Microsoft mail servers and clients for exactly that reason
    > :)

    <?>

    From: "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> <snip> X-MimeOLE: Produced By
    Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165 X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

    </?>

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    > <[email protected]> typed:

    > > I use non-Microsoft mail servers and clients for exactly that reason

    > <?> From: "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> <snip> X-MimeOLE: Produced By
    > Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165 X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 </?>

    That'll be my newsreader. I use Outhouse for news in the office because I can't be bothered to
    set up Agent.

    My web servers and mail servers mostly run IBM Domino software, my primary mail client is Notes, and
    most of my servers are running Linux. We had a team in recently conducting a security audit on
    behalf of a customer. They proved beyond doubt that IIS specific exploits don't affect either Domino
    or Apache on Linux. Butit did take them a while :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  20. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:15:23 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >We had a team in recently conducting a security audit on behalf of a customer. They proved beyond
    >doubt that IIS specific exploits don't affect either Domino or Apache on Linux. Butit did take them
    >a while :)

    Ha ha. I bet they were paid a lot of money for their shoddy work as well.