It's not from me

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    out pornographic emails.

    If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
    assured it is not from *me*.

    I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response to my
    concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has happened -
    according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to
    anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might be.

    Sincerely

    helen simmons

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    SPAM is their stock-in-trade. Find a different provider.

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
    hacked
    > into and used to send out pornographic emails.
    >
    > If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of
    that
    > type, please rest assured it is not from *me*.
    >
    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
    their
    > lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
    been
    > hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
    password to
    > have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
    > assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
    be.

    > Sincerely
    >
    > helen simmons
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
    hacked
    > into and used to send out pornographic emails.
    >
    > If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of
    that
    > type, please rest assured it is not from *me*.
    >
    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
    their
    > lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
    been
    > hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
    password to
    > have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
    > assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
    be.

    > Sincerely
    >
    > helen simmons

    It may be much simpler than that. Quite often, spammers will use someone else's email address in
    their Reply To: field. The body of the email contains all the HTML to get prospective 'buyers' to
    their website, and YOU get the nastygrams and bounces.

    If you get an email (or several hundred of them) "Message Undeliverable", examine it. You'll
    probably find your email addy in the Reply To:.

    Yes, this has happened to me. The only way to stop it is to get a new email address. And it can (and
    does) happen with ANY email provider, not just AOL. But there are other reasons for dumping AOL.

    Pete

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" wrote ...

    <snip>

    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
    their
    > lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
    been
    > hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
    password to
    > have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
    > assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
    be.

    > Sincerely
    >
    > helen simmons

    Everyone I meet who works with computers seems to have a fairly low opinion of AOL- seems that the
    more technically sophisticated they are, the lower their opinion of AOL.
    --
    mark

  5. On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:14:51 +0000, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
    > out pornographic emails.
    >
    > If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
    > assured it is not from *me*.
    >
    > I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response to
    > my concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has happened -
    > according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to
    > anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it
    might be.

    Your problem here is that you didn't ask to talk to someone at AOL who might have a clue. You were
    told bullshit. These e-mails were not from you. Someone you know has your e-mail address on his/her
    address book, and that someone has an e-mail virus that is spewing out spam in your name -- and in
    the name of lots of other people who are in that address book.

    Alternately, usenet may be to blame. Spammers harvest usenet posts for e-mail addresses to both
    spoof the From: part of the message and to provide address targets.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
    something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
    and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

  6. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    > It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
    hacked
    > into and used to send out pornographic emails.

    You have my sympathy. This happened to my daughter some years ago (she was about 10), and it was a
    very unpleasant experience. The only way to avoid getting back a bunch of unacceptable replies was
    to get her a new e-mail address.

    It was actually AOL that called this to our attention, by freezing our account as a spam source.
    Their policies may have changed since then.

  7. On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:39:20 GMT, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It was actually AOL that called this to our attention, by freezing our account as a spam source.

    Assuming your daughter wasn't actually sending those emails -- via an email virus, would be a likely
    bet, if so -- that's a singularly stupid move on AOL's part. But what else is new.

    Jasper