It's not from me

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
out pornographic emails.

If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
assured it is not from *me*.

I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response to my
concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has happened -
according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to
anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might be.

Sincerely

helen simmons

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

SPAM is their stock-in-trade. Find a different provider.

> It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
hacked
> into and used to send out pornographic emails.
>
> If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of
that
> type, please rest assured it is not from *me*.
>
> I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
their
> lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
been
> hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
password to
> have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
> assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
be.

> Sincerely
>
> helen simmons
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

> It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
hacked
> into and used to send out pornographic emails.
>
> If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of
that
> type, please rest assured it is not from *me*.
>
> I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
their
> lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
been
> hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
password to
> have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
> assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
be.

> Sincerely
>
> helen simmons

It may be much simpler than that. Quite often, spammers will use someone else's email address in
their Reply To: field. The body of the email contains all the HTML to get prospective 'buyers' to
their website, and YOU get the nastygrams and bounces.

If you get an email (or several hundred of them) "Message Undeliverable", examine it. You'll
probably find your email addy in the Reply To:.

Yes, this has happened to me. The only way to stop it is to get a new email address. And it can (and
does) happen with ANY email provider, not just AOL. But there are other reasons for dumping AOL.

Pete

"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" wrote ...

<snip>

> I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by
their
> lack of response to my concern on this. The only way my email could have
been
> hacked, if that is what has happened - according to AOL, is for my
password to
> have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only
> assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it might
be.

> Sincerely
>
> helen simmons

Everyone I meet who works with computers seems to have a fairly low opinion of AOL- seems that the
more technically sophisticated they are, the lower their opinion of AOL.
--
mark

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 08:14:51 +0000, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been hacked into and used to send
> out pornographic emails.
>
> If you receive have received any email purporting to be from me that is of that type, please rest
> assured it is not from *me*.
>
> I have been in contact with AOL and have to say, I am not impressed by their lack of response to
> my concern on this. The only way my email could have been hacked, if that is what has happened -
> according to AOL, is for my password to have been hacked. As I do not give out my password to
> anyone, plus I run a firewall, I can only assume that AOL security is perhaps not what it
might be.

Your problem here is that you didn't ask to talk to someone at AOL who might have a clue. You were
told ********. These e-mails were not from you. Someone you know has your e-mail address on his/her
address book, and that someone has an e-mail virus that is spewing out spam in your name -- and in
the name of lots of other people who are in that address book.

Alternately, usenet may be to blame. Spammers harvest usenet posts for e-mail addresses to both
spoof the From: part of the message and to provide address targets.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

> It's come to my attention this morning, that my email might have been
hacked
> into and used to send out pornographic emails.

You have my sympathy. This happened to my daughter some years ago (she was about 10), and it was a
very unpleasant experience. The only way to avoid getting back a bunch of unacceptable replies was
to get her a new e-mail address.

It was actually AOL that called this to our attention, by freezing our account as a spam source.
Their policies may have changed since then.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:39:20 GMT, "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It was actually AOL that called this to our attention, by freezing our account as a spam source.

Assuming your daughter wasn't actually sending those emails -- via an email virus, would be a likely
bet, if so -- that's a singularly stupid move on AOL's part. But what else is new.

Jasper