It's not just in cycling

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, May 19, 2003.

  1. that drugs are a problem. It seems football may be as bad or worse.

    See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3034491.stm

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 19 May 2003 11:24:51 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3034491.stm

    I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that any
    group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a job as
    Iraqi information minister.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Two Ice Hockey players playing in the UK have received two year bans for substance abuse
    this year too

    > that drugs are a problem. It seems football may be as bad or worse.
    >
    > See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3034491.stm
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > On 19 May 2003 11:24:51 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >
    > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3034491.stm
    >
    > I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that any
    > group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a job as
    > Iraqi information minister.
    >
    > Guy

    Yeah, I always liked the idea of the Radio 1 drugs helpline, expecting the call to go something
    along the lines of.... " hello, Radio 1 Drugs helpline. How can we help you?..." " Well, I've got a
    drugs problem......" "Yep, we're here to help, what's your problem?...." "Well, my suppliers moved
    onto warmer climes and I don't know who to get them off anymore. Can you provide me with the names /
    address / phone nos. of any suppliers in my area please ?....." "....?...."

    Dave.

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On 19 May 2003 11:24:51 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    > >
    > > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3034491.stm
    > >
    > > I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that
    > > any group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a
    > > job as Iraqi information minister.
    > >
    > > Guy
    >
    > Yeah, I always liked the idea of the Radio 1 drugs helpline, expecting the call to go something
    > along the lines of.... " hello, Radio 1 Drugs helpline. How can we help you?..." " Well, I've got
    > a drugs problem......" "Yep, we're here to help, what's your problem?...." "Well, my suppliers
    > moved onto warmer climes and I don't know who to get them off anymore. Can you provide me with the
    > names / address / phone nos. of any suppliers in my area please ?....." "....?...."
    >
    > Dave.

    Also, what made me smile (and I only heard the report in passing, so may have got this wrong), was
    that apparently 1 in 20 know of 'someone within the sport' taking performance enhancing drugs,
    whilst 50% know of people taking them for pleasure / entertainment. That must tell you something
    (just not quite sure what!!). Dave.

  6. >I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that any
    >group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a job as
    >Iraqi information minister.

    You could well be correct :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:17:40 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that any
    >group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a job as
    >Iraqi information minister.

    How far would a soccer player walk, wander about or run in a match? Six, seven, eight miles? I've no
    idea. What I do know is that it's certainly less than the 100+ miles per day a pro cyclist would
    average in a tour. Whatever, the "no shit Sherlock" comment sums it up for me too.

    James

    --
    It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:17:40 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I think that comes from the "no shit Sherlock" department. Anybody who seriously suggests that
    > >any group of professional athletes haven't been using performance enhancing drugs is ripe for a
    > >job as Iraqi information minister.
    > >

    > How far would a soccer player walk, wander about or run in a match? Six, seven, eight miles? I've
    > no idea. What I do know is that it's certainly less than the 100+ miles per day a pro cyclist
    > would average in a tour. Whatever, the "no shit Sherlock" comment sums it up for me too.
    >
    > James

    Eh ?...sorry, don't quite get that James.... as a matter of interest (possibly ;-), I run 12 miles
    once a week and recently rode John O Groats to Lands End at 100 miles per day. I have to say that
    once I'd got used to it (after about three days), I'd much rather ride 100 miles per day than run
    1.5 hours. Running is very high impact. After 3 weeks off, preparing and riding, I went for my
    standard run. It damn near crippled me - ooops! Cheers, Dave.

  9. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Also, what made me smile (and I only heard the report in passing, so may have got this wrong), was
    > that apparently 1 in 20 know of 'someone within the sport' taking performance enhancing drugs,
    > whilst 50% know of people taking them for pleasure / entertainment.

    Depends what they classed as "recreational drugs", bearing in mind professional football's
    well-publicised relationship with booze....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:36:35 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> How far would a soccer player walk, wander about or run in a match? Six, seven, eight miles? I've
    >> no idea. What I do know is that it's certainly less than the 100+ miles per day a pro cyclist
    >> would average in a tour. Whatever, the "no shit Sherlock" comment sums it up for me too.

    >Eh ?...sorry, don't quite get that James.... as a matter of interest (possibly ;-), I run 12 miles
    >once a week and recently rode John O Groats to Lands End at 100 miles per day. I have to say that
    >once I'd got used to it (after about three days), I'd much rather ride 100 miles per day than run
    >1.5 hours. Running is very high impact. After 3 weeks off, preparing and riding, I went for my
    >standard run. It damn near crippled me - ooops!

    Hi Dave

    I was merely trying to make the point that the druggy soccer players exert themselves far less than
    do pro-cyclists.

    However, I did tune into Eurosport yesterday to watch the Giro. A bit or cycling, I thought. But no,
    a boxing match broke out in the last few kilometers :)

    James

    PS Running is the Devil's work - the jog of beelzebub!

    --
    It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:36:35 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > James
    >
    > PS Running is the Devil's work - the jog of beelzebub!

    Indeed it is. I only do it because as I understand it (and I will probably be severly corrected here
    ;-), it is high impact and helps ensure a strong skeleton, avoiding such future pleasures as
    osteoporiasis (or something like that anyway ;-). The other stuff I do, cycling, swimming and rock
    climbing is low impact (as long as I don't fall off the rocks!), and therefore somewhat lacking in
    the holistic approach...er...I think.