It's not who you know, it's that you said it.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Ranger, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    As a PTO president, I am always looking to involve other erstwhile
    volunteers so that I don't have to do as much real work. For some
    events that works the charm. At others, well... I'm the chairman
    and several volunteers.

    Don't get me wrong: I like volunteering!

    I volunteer for two reasons. First -- and foremost -- I keep
    myself informed of all-things school-related. Secondly, I have
    enough ego (and id) to reach out to my daughter-units' community
    to [hopefully] make a difference. (It helps being an axe murdering
    psycho, too.)

    In 2004, right as the school year let out, a dad (an Ex-Software
    Engineer [ESE]) walked up to me and started visibly grousing about
    how his PTO didn't meet his specific needs. "Dammit! They're a
    clique! They don't listen to anyone but the 'inner crowd.'"

    Since I was actively involved in our community outreach program
    that year (which turned numbers triple those of previous years), I
    was concerned by this arm-chair criticism.

    "Really? Like what?"

    "The Group, you know, the same Power Families that work their
    wiles every year, didn't 'hear' anything that was submitted for
    this year."

    "Like what? Please! Let me know. I _know_ the pres! He's willing
    to listen -- especially since I have his ear!"

    "You do? I was told he's process-driven and only cares about how
    things are done?"

    "Shee-it... You're an ex-engineer. Is there anything beyond
    process?"

    "Well, yes. There's the people. Their feelings and desires. If the
    management doesn't listen, then the people won't implement the
    requests!"

    "Ah... Gotchya!"

    "Anyways... The Anus* is good for key projects but sucks as a
    manager. He's a Carly and Gates and Jobs, only their worst
    traits..."

    "Go on." I was actually loving every minute of my anonymity.

    "So," ESE groused, "he sits in his ivory tower making
    prognostications and rolling his 4-sided die** in the hopes that
    he figures out the 'best' guess. Why doesn't he effin' asked the
    community? THEY'D tell 'im!"

    "Really?" I look at ESE and gauged his 6'2", 276 lb frame. "My
    name is '[The].' '[The Ranger]' and I have to tell you that _you_
    are the _first_ person to talk to me like I was part of the
    community! For that... I THANK YOU! I'm very concerned about that
    POV! Please, if you're able, continue."

    "You're... I... I... I... I didn't mean to tell you..."

    "Stop." I held up my hands pleadingly. "Please." ESE's jaw loudly
    clicked shut. "Do I," I smiled, "have Death," and I looked over my
    right shoulder, "hovering right here? No. I'm half your weight and
    half your height. There's not much I _could_ do to you -- even if
    I wanted."

    ESE smiled.

    "So... I've heard your concerns. I'm REALLY interested in them. My
    only concern is that I haven't seen you at ANY of our meetings,
    PTO or otherwise, and simply wonder if it's an oversight on my
    part. If not, then I invite you to our next meeting and hope that
    you'll address these same concerns there. If you haven't been to
    any meetings, then I INVITE you to attend and I'll pick you up
    prior to it."

    "Well..."

    "No 'well.' I'll pick you up!"

    "Uhm..."

    "Great!" I exclaimed and reached for his hand. "I appreciate your
    honesty and willingness to volunteer! I will make SURE you won't
    regret this!***"

    The Ranger

    * A particular orifice of small design used to evacuate waste
    material and excess food products.
    ** AD&D reference
    *** He did. He's now the daughter-units' PTO prez.

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "So," ESE groused, "he sits in his ivory tower making
    > prognostications and rolling his 4-sided die**

    > ** AD&D reference

    Accidental Death and Dismemberment? Just what goes
    on at those meetings.

    nancy

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > "So," ESE groused, "he sits in his ivory tower making
    > > prognostications and rolling his 4-sided die**

    > > ** AD&D reference

    > Accidental Death and Dismemberment? Just what goes
    > on at those meetings.
    >
    > nancy

    Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. ;-)

    The 4 sided die is used during RPG gaming.
    It's been so long since I've played, I've forgotten what the 4d was used
    for, but I think it's a hit counter, used to roll for damage?

    Yeah! My memory did not fail me!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-sided_dice

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > "So," ESE groused, "he sits in his ivory tower making
    > > prognostications and rolling his 4-sided die**

    > > ** AD&D reference

    > Accidental Death and Dismemberment? Just what goes
    > on at those meetings.
    >
    > nancy

    Basically, he was calling the PTO Prez. a dungeon master.
    The person that runs the games has "absolute power" over the players.

    For one familiar with RPG's, that was a pretty damned funny statement!
    --
    Om.

  5. The Ranger related in part:

    > "You do? I was told he's process-driven and only cares about how
    > things are done?"
    >
    > "Shee-it... You're an ex-engineer. Is there anything beyond
    > process?"
    >
    > "Well, yes. There's the people. Their feelings and desires. If the
    > management doesn't listen, then the people won't implement the
    > requests!"

    Er...there's also what the process is intended to accomplish, i.e., goals.
    A process which is good for making chili probably won't be much use when
    your goal is to repair a flat tire.

    Bob

  6. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:39:15 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> replied:
    >"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "So," ESE groused, "he sits in his ivory tower making
    > > prognostications and rolling his 4-sided die**

    > > ** AD&D reference
    > >

    > Accidental Death and Dismemberment? Just what goes
    > on at those meetings.

    AD&D --> Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

    As far as PTO meetings; they were more social than business
    oriented, often lasting two hours. One of my goals was to run the
    monthly meetings like a regular meeting and have those that didn't
    want to go home, socialize afterwards. It took three months and
    some minor head-butting but the meeting times were reduced to 30
    minutes, agendas were formalized, and socializing was done
    _afterwards_.

    The Ranger

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:39:15 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    > <[email protected]> replied:

    >> Accidental Death and Dismemberment? Just what goes
    >> on at those meetings.

    > AD&D --> Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

    Yeah, I was goofin, didn't know what it was but I didn't think
    it was insurance. Thanks you and Om for the answer.

    > As far as PTO meetings; they were more social than business
    > oriented, often lasting two hours. One of my goals was to run the
    > monthly meetings like a regular meeting and have those that didn't
    > want to go home, socialize afterwards. It took three months and
    > some minor head-butting but the meeting times were reduced to 30
    > minutes, agendas were formalized, and socializing was done
    > _afterwards_.

    Heh, as one who feels like they're being tortured to be in meetings,
    I thank you. Hang around all you want, get the business out of the
    way first.

    nancy

  8. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]
    > only concern is that I haven't seen you at ANY of our meetings,
    > PTO or otherwise, and simply wonder if it's an oversight on my
    > part. If not, then I invite you to our next meeting and hope that
    > you'll address these same concerns there. If you haven't been to
    > any meetings, then I INVITE you to attend and I'll pick you up
    > prior to it."
    >
    > "Well..."
    >
    > "No 'well.' I'll pick you up!"
    >
    > "Uhm..."
    >
    > "Great!" I exclaimed and reached for his hand. "I appreciate your
    > honesty and willingness to volunteer! I will make SURE you won't
    > regret this!***"
    >
    > The Ranger
    >

    > * A particular orifice of small design used to evacuate waste
    > material and excess food products.
    > ** AD&D reference
    > *** He did. He's now the daughter-units' PTO prez.

    LOLOL.. good for you:))))) That's the way to do it LOL

    Happy New Year Ranger I look forward to your posts in 2006:)

    Ophelia
    Scotland

  9. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On 31 Dec 2005 17:33:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> replied:
    >The Ranger related in part:
    > > "You do? I was told he's process-driven and only cares about how
    > > things are done?"
    > >
    > > "Shee-it... You're an ex-engineer. Is there anything beyond
    > > process?"
    > >
    > > "Well, yes. There's the people. Their feelings and desires. If the
    > > management doesn't listen, then the people won't implement the
    > > requests!"
    > >

    >Er...there's also what the process is intended to accomplish, i.e., goals.
    >A process which is good for making chili probably won't be much use when
    >your goal is to repair a flat tire.

    True but processes for streamlining inefficiencies (meeting and
    time management issues) were needed to be implemented so that we
    could draw on a larger community. Most parents don't have three
    hours at night to toss away and that's what the meetings lasted
    prior... Agendas weren't really observed, either; it was not
    unusual for someone to walk in and expect time to talk about an
    item (or three).

    The Ranger

  10. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    The Ranger wrote:

    > As a PTO president, I am always looking to involve other erstwhile
    > volunteers so that I don't have to do as much real work. For some
    > events that works the charm. At others, well... I'm the chairman
    > and several volunteers.

    ..... snip........

    Too true. There are a lot of organizations run by individuals to the
    best of their ability. They rarely get help but they are always the
    target of petty sniping. I used be be involved in our union, not
    because I was a rabid unionist, but because I thought my sensible <?>
    approach would balance counteract some of the more rabid types. I
    used to hear all sorts of gripping about "the union" this and "the
    union that" to which I would respond that they were part of the
    union, but I don't recall ever seeing them at meetings or volunteering
    their time.

    When my son was on teams or in cubs my wife and I always made it known
    that we were willing to help out. It always turned out that we were
    the only people who were ever called because they knew we would come.
    Meanwhile, there are all sorts of other people harping and carrying
    on, but never offered to lift a finger. It seems that entertaining
    their kids is someone else's job.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > As a PTO president, I am always looking to involve other erstwhile
    > volunteers so that I don't have to do as much real work. For some

    > "Great!" I exclaimed and reached for his hand. "I appreciate your
    > honesty and willingness to volunteer! I will make SURE you won't
    > regret this!***"
    >
    > The Ranger

    What are you, bored? Looking for reviewers? You posted this to the
    other group months ago. Unless it was here then.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  12. On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:54:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > The Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > As a PTO president, I am always looking to involve other erstwhile
    > > volunteers so that I don't have to do as much real work. For some
    > >
    > > "Great!" I exclaimed and reached for his hand. "I appreciate your
    > > honesty and willingness to volunteer! I will make SURE you won't
    > > regret this!***"
    > >
    > > The Ranger

    > What are you, bored? Looking for reviewers? You posted this to the
    > other group months ago. Unless it was here then.

    I love reading his stories.

    Carol

  13. The Ranger wrote:

    > processes for streamlining inefficiencies (meeting and
    > time management issues) were needed to be implemented so that we
    > could draw on a larger community. Most parents don't have three
    > hours at night to toss away and that's what the meetings lasted
    > prior... Agendas weren't really observed, either; it was not
    > unusual for someone to walk in and expect time to talk about an
    > item (or three).

    Sounds like you needed another member of the august Bob community:

    http://www.robertsrules.com/

    Bob

  14. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:54:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> replied:
    > What are you, bored?

    Yep.

    > You posted this to the other group months ago. Unless
    > it was here then.

    It was AM and ou're subjected to many of them because of that
    extra exposure.

    The Ranger

  15. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On 31 Dec 2005 21:22:01 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> replied:
    > > processes for streamlining inefficiencies (meeting and
    > > time management issues) were needed to be implemented so that we
    > > could draw on a larger community.

    [snip]
    > Sounds like you needed another member of the august Bob community:
    >
    >http://www.robertsrules.com/

    I did implement them. That's what caused the problems. A very
    minor, but very vocal, group of two thought I was steamrolling
    participants by actually asking for meeting to follow minimal
    guidelines. ESE'd half-listened to a gripe about me and assumed
    the rest.

    He's a damned-fine participant nowadays.

    The Ranger

  16. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:43:43 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> replied:
    >The Ranger wrote:
    >> As a PTO president, I am always looking to involve other erstwhile
    >> volunteers so that I don't have to do as much real work. For some
    >> events that works the charm. At others, well... I'm the chairman
    >> and several volunteers.

    >.... snip........
    >
    >Too true. There are a lot of organizations run by individuals to the
    >best of their ability. They rarely get help but they are always the
    >target of petty sniping. I used be be involved in our union, not
    >because I was a rabid unionist, but because I thought my sensible <?>
    >approach would balance counteract some of the more rabid types. I
    >used to hear all sorts of gripping about "the union" this and "the
    >union that" to which I would respond that they were part of the
    >union, but I don't recall ever seeing them at meetings or volunteering
    >their time.
    >
    >When my son was on teams or in cubs my wife and I always made it known
    >that we were willing to help out. It always turned out that we were
    >the only people who were ever called because they knew we would come.
    >Meanwhile, there are all sorts of other people harping and carrying
    >on, but never offered to lift a finger. It seems that entertaining
    >their kids is someone else's job.

    That's one of the reasons I chaired the outreach program. I don't
    like silence or complainers and used them in non-monetary-based
    ways. If they said they couldn't fit the time to come to a
    meeting, I found something they could do at home. If they
    complained about a festival or committee, they often chaired the
    next one. Some of our festivals have been run by these armchair
    generals that were braying from their stalls...

    "'No, I can't' is just trying to find the 'Yes, I will'."

    The Ranger

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <damselicious[email protected]> wrote:

    > > What are you, bored? Looking for reviewers? You posted this to the
    > > other group months ago. Unless it was here then.

    > I love reading his stories.
    >
    > Carol

    Me, too. He's a talented writer. I still crow about him hosing the
    peach thief!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

  18. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 08:26:36 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> replied:
    > [..] He's a talented writer.

    Stawp... You'll turn my head with such praise.

    > I still crow about him hosing the peach thief!

    It was nectarines, and they weren't even RIPE! And she was
    severely pruning my tree trying to get them!

    The Ranger

  19. On Sun 01 Jan 2006 07:26:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    Jammin'?

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > What are you, bored? Looking for reviewers? You posted this to the
    >> > other group months ago. Unless it was here then.

    >> I love reading his stories.
    >>
    >> Carol

    > Me, too. He's a talented writer. I still crow about him hosing the
    > peach thief!

    Talented or not, it is excessive and OT, and should have been marked as such.
    personally, I considered it drivel.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  20. aem

    aem Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Talented or not, it is excessive and OT, and should have been marked as such.
    > personally, I considered it drivel.

    For your 2006 New Year's Resolution, you might try getting a sense of
    humor. -aem