It's official!!!

Lepanini

Jul 7, 2006
Hi guys and girls!!!

It's official!

I am overweight and I need to do something about it!!

I have quit smoking and eating junk food and I will be dusting off my bike today and making sure that it is going to be used!!!!!!

Wish me luck!!!! :D

Ciao!!!

Ride your bike.

Watch what you eat - no sugar, no alcohol, limit carbos. Drink a least 2 liters of water per day. You will be feeling better, losing weight and riding faster quickly!

Cycling is a great way to lose weight. I have gone from 265 pounds to 190 pounds in 10 months. I still need to lose 6 pounds to no longer be overweight, but I am a lot closer to "normal" than I was when I started.

I do disagree with Pete to an extent. I believe that any diet that says "NO" to any food is a diet that will fail. Instead of "no sugar" or "no alcohol", I would say "less sugar" and "less alcohol". Also, there is nothing wrong with carbs. The problem is how much. I have switched to whole grain bread and pasta and to brown rice, but, if anything, I have increased the amount of carbs and reduced the amount of fat and protein in my diet. Overall, I have reduced the amount that I eat, but I do not eliminate anything that I like to eat from my diet. All things in moderation is the key to a sucessful lifestyle change.

Good luck

Good luck, but a word of warning from a guy who has lost and gained and lost and gained over 100kg in the last 20 years, take it slow... don't do anything super drastic...

Slowly ease back into cycling and slowly change your diet... Take time to seek the healthy foods you actually like to eat... and slowly drop off the bad bad foods...

If you do it all too quick, you can come to hate it very quickly and revert back...

I'm 5' 6" and weighed 110kg 4 months ago when I started riding again. Now, everyone who sees me comments on my weight loss and wants to know the magic bullet theory of weight loss. Truth is, doing it slow made the changes bareable... I reckon I'll be able to stick my ass in the Gerolsteiner kit in a month or 2.

Good luck again and keep us posted.

RickF said:
All things in moderation is the key to a sucessful lifestyle change.

Good luck
I reward myself with some ice cream after every 200 miles.

No booze is good for the pocketbook, I'd much rather spend the money on components than waste it on a little feel good - I feel much better after a good hard ride anyway.

Watch the waistline, not the pounds for a while, and try to ride a little further or a little harder each time. I have been stuck at 209 forever, but my waistline is shrinking. My theory is that I am adding muscle weight at the same rate I am losing gat - and I am sticking to it!

Good luck!

WTG Lepanini! You've got a great start - enthusiasm. Don't say no, and don't make excuses. Just ride. I lose more weight riding through the Winter, because I layer clothing, and sweat more.

fauxpas said:
Good luck, but a word of warning from a guy who has lost and gained and lost and gained over 100kg in the last 20 years, take it slow... don't do anything super drastic...

Slowly ease back into cycling and slowly change your diet... Take time to seek the healthy foods you actually like to eat... and slowly drop off the bad bad foods...

If you do it all too quick, you can come to hate it very quickly and revert back...

I'm 5' 6" and weighed 110kg 4 months ago when I started riding again. Now, everyone who sees me comments on my weight loss and wants to know the magic bullet theory of weight loss. Truth is, doing it slow made the changes bareable... I reckon I'll be able to stick my ass in the Gerolsteiner kit in a month or 2.

Good luck again and keep us posted.
Good advise. I am just glad I have always been thin.
But I have to say I had to chuckle when you put your height in inches, then your weight in metric. Its probably not that funny, just got me though.

A few easy foods to give up :

Butter (70% saturated fat can't be good for your heart)
Soft drinks (Too much sugar, or go diet drinks)
The fatty stripes on meat
Fries from fast food chains

Good luck with the weight loss ! My wife and I hit the low GI trail and it has worked wonders for us. Stopped eating bread , pasta etc etc. TYou know, all the bad carbs ? This is NOT a carb free diet but anything over 50 on the GI index is avioded . Lots of fish vegetables etc etc. Worth looking into mate.

Just remember, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. Keep that in mind the whole time and you'll succeed. I would either throw away or hide your scale for a few months. Since weight can fluctuate greatly when first excercising, you might be discouraged which will more than likely, push you to eat.

Good luck and stay mentally strong! I've been there man.

Eat 5 smaller meals rather than 3 regualr meals. Believe me, I had to change my eating habits 3 years ago and it works. I'm a lean 152lbs at 5 foot 10 inches due to the 5 smaller meals a day. I have been at this weight for 2 years, give or take 2 pounds each week. Pasta before I ride and protein after. Plenty of fluids.

Glenfiddich_Man said:
Good advise. I am just glad I have always been thin.
But I have to say I had to chuckle when you put your height in inches, then your weight in metric. Its probably not that funny, just got me though.
Ya, I grew up with both, finishing school in 1981 and going into college for a trade qualification in 1982 they taught us both metric and imperial.

The only reason I usually go imperial for height is because its still globally accepted, yet when you go to a gym or doctor, most times they'll weigh you in kg or the metal weights you work out with are kg.

Anyhoo, my ***** is 300mm long (12 inches to you old schoolers) and in anyone's language, thats big... <<< jk

xxamr_corpxx said:
A few easy foods to give up :

Butter (70% saturated fat can't be good for your heart)
Soft drinks (Too much sugar, or go diet drinks)
The fatty stripes on meat
Fries from fast food chains
I agree. I've done this for years and its effective. I also cut out everything thats fried and all fast food.
- Good eating habits go a long way make better choices.
- Muscle weighs more than fat. scales are not accurate indicator. use a tape or your waistline as a measure. I'm 5'10 and weigh 84kgs and I'm thinner than most guys weighing 80-84kgs.
This is a great point -
NickDavid said:
Just remember, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle.
- Very simple formula for maintaining weight INPUT(food)= OUTPUT (excercise/energy expenditure).
Good thing about riding all the time, I get to eat more of everything and not have to worry what I eat.
biggrin.gif

Bah, diets are overrated. I've lost 40 pounds over the past 2 years just by exercising consistently, I still eat whatever I want but I burn it all off.

Some people are lucky like that. In all honesty....... I eat bread or any type of pasta...............The weight goes on...........simple as that. Lets all remember here also that it's not so much a diet rather than a lifestyle change. As for my old friend past..................If it takes more than 4-5 mins to cook, which most of the packaged stuff does. It is horribly high in comples carbs. Not good so I avoid it. Less I can get my hands on some FRESH fettucine which is this day and age is hard to come by where I live. Fresh takes 4 mins to cook and won't, if combined with the right types of food, make you're ass grow.

PartisanRanger said:
Bah, diets are overrated. I've lost 40 pounds over the past 2 years just by exercising consistently, I still eat whatever I want but I burn it all off.
And I bet you are under 30, too:D . Time will catch up with you. During my residency, I went from 220 pounds to 175 pounds and ate everything in sight. Every night I was on call, I would drop another three to five pounds. When you are young and burn the candle at both ends, it is easy to keep your weight down. After 28 years in what is basically a 9 to 5 desk job, I had gotten up to 265 pounds.

I do agree, though, that diets are overrated. It needs to be a true lifestyle change. That is why I do not worry about what I eat. I only control the quantity. Eating less of the things I like is far easier and far more sustainable than giving them up entirely. After only 10 months of cycling and cutting back on the quantity I eat, I have gone from 265 pounds to 190 pounds, but more importantly, this is a lifestyle that I can continue for the rest of my life.

Thanks guys for all the support!:D

It has been challenging but I will manage and like most of you advised, take it easy and no drastic changes.

Cheers everyone!!!

I'll keep you guys posted.;)

Lol, really. The junk food might have something to do about it. 5 minutes with junk food can put 5 lbs on you. It all depends upon your consumption. Its inevitable really.

You're on your way to a healthy you. Getting back on that bike could be the thing you need to bring you to where you want to be. Keep it up and good luck.