It's only short. Is a long one better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huw Pritchard

I've just gone and purchased myself a new rear mech, the LBS were out of XT ones, and I'm too much
of a **** to buy an LX, so I've got one of them XTR things sitting on my desk at the moment.

Thing is, something that I didn't realise until I got home is that they've given me a short cage
mech. Running 44-22 and 11-34 at the rear, will this matter?

According to the Shimano website it'll handle cassettes from 11-34 and chainsets with a 22T
difference, but it also says it has a total capacity of 43T. What's that all about, eh?

--
Huw Pritchard

Huw Pritchard wrote:
> I've just gone and purchased myself a new rear mech, the LBS were out of XT ones, and I'm too much
> of a **** to buy an LX, so I've got one of them XTR things sitting on my desk at the moment.
>
> Thing is, something that I didn't realise until I got home is that they've given me a short cage
> mech. Running 44-22 and 11-34 at the rear, will this matter?
>
> According to the Shimano website it'll handle cassettes from 11-34 and chainsets with a 22T
> difference, but it also says it has a total capacity of 43T. What's that all about, eh?
>
The 43T is how many links of chain the der will keep properly tensioned. it's going to be a
little short on your setup. add the 2 smallest numbers (22 + 11) and the 2 largest ( 44 + 34 )
then subtract the results (78 - 33) that is the total amount of chain ( 45 ) the der must handle.
I use a simalar setup on my bike, it works fine as long as you stay out of the small ring/
smallest 2 or 3 cogs.

Make sure you set the big/big comb correct or you can do some real damage.

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've just gone and purchased myself a new rear mech, the LBS were out of XT ones, and I'm too much
> of a **** to buy an LX, so I've got one of them XTR things sitting on my desk at the moment.
>
> Thing is, something that I didn't realise until I got home is that they've given me a short cage
>
> According to the Shimano website it'll handle cassettes from 11-34 and chainsets with a 22T
> difference, but it also says it has a total capacity of 43T. What's that all about, eh?

Hahaahahaha saw you coming. Haahahhahahahaha.

No, but seriously, it should work. But I dunno if it won't be slack on the small/small.

Not very helpful, but like I said, Hahahahahahaa

Andy Chequer

On Fri, 02 May 2003 18:56:00 +0100, Andy Chequer did issue forth:

> Hahaahahaha saw you coming. Haahahhahahahaha.

I'm a ****, and you know it. Besides, Simon had matched the price that Chain Reaction were knocking
them out for. Will have to mention that to Nigel, see what colour he turns ;-)

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

> On Fri, 02 May 2003 18:56:00 +0100, Andy Chequer did issue forth:
>
> > Hahaahahaha saw you coming. Haahahhahahahaha.
>
> I'm a ****, and you know it. Besides, Simon had matched the price that Chain Reaction were
> knocking them out for. Will have to mention that to Nigel, see what colour he turns ;-)

Hahahahahahahahaaahahahahhahaaaaa

Andy Chequer

>

I tried the same XTR short-cage derailleur with my 11-32 22-32-44 setup. It didn't work. It doesn't
have enough chain wrap. It's made for downhill bikes with 1 chainring.

Get a long-cage XT rear der. and be happy. Shimano XT is the best derailleur value on the planet,
IMO. Looks pretty sweet, too. Online shops selling 'em for $38 in the US. Can't beat that.

-Barry

In article <[email protected]>, usenet001 @pritch.co.uk says...
>
>
>
>

It will work, in fact you will probably have this derailleur for a longer period than the old one,
stout=more durable. One thing you have to consider though is that the chain will either need to be
too long or too short. It's your choice. You can either set it so it won't go big/big or it won't go
small/small.
--

In article <tnzsa.707769$F1.92766@sccrnsc04>, [email protected] says...
> "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've just gone and purchased myself a new rear mech, the LBS were out of XT ones, and I'm too
> > much of a **** to buy an LX, so I've got one of them XTR things sitting on my desk at the
> > moment.
> >
> > Thing is, something that I didn't realise until I got home is that they've given me a short cage
> > mech. Running 44-22 and 11-34 at the rear, will this matter?
>
> I tried the same XTR short-cage derailleur with my 11-32 22-32-44 setup. It didn't work. It
> doesn't have enough chain wrap. It's made for downhill bikes with 1 chainring.
>
> Get a long-cage XT rear der. and be happy. Shimano XT is the best derailleur value on the planet,
> IMO. Looks pretty sweet, too. Online shops selling 'em for $38 in the US. Can't beat that.
>
> -Barry
>
>
>

I can beat that, but it involves a baseball bat and some SRAM stickers.
--

Status
Not open for further replies.