It's over!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Today I made my last long commute to work. Moving house tomorrow, so no more 25 mile cross London rides; dodging traffc round Hyde park corner for me, now it will be only 7-8 or 10 if I want to cycle all the way along the canal towpath. Have I enjoyed the last 2 years of 50 mile a day commuting (ok I only did it 3 or 4 timesa week, but believe me that's enough), actually no, but it did get me off my backside and get me a bit fitter, and there were days when I could quite happily have carried on to rather than coming into the office.

    Still as of next week I'll be gaining an extra 2 hours a day, and I dare say that during the summer that will be taken up with cycling

    Bryan

    p.s. just for the record fasted time to work 1hr 19 minutes, faster time home 1hr 15 (it's a bit more down hill), number of traffic lights en route about 130, number of crashes 2, typical time 1hr 30, time for ame journey on tube 1hr 10.

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    : p.s. just for the record fasted time to work 1hr 19 minutes, faster
    : time home 1hr 15 (it's a bit more down hill), number of traffic lights
    : en route about 130, number of crashes 2, typical time 1hr 30, time for
    : ame journey on tube 1hr 10.

    That was some serious commuting. It's that final line that makes it
    seem sensible - if it's only 10-20 mins longer than the tube then
    that's much easier to justify than if it took an hour longer

    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  3. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : p.s. just for the record fasted time to work 1hr 19 minutes, faster
    > : time home 1hr 15 (it's a bit more down hill), number of traffic

    lights
    > : en route about 130, number of crashes 2, typical time 1hr 30, time

    for
    > : ame journey on tube 1hr 10.
    >
    > That was some serious commuting. It's that final line that makes it
    > seem sensible - if it's only 10-20 mins longer than the tube then
    > that's much easier to justify than if it took an hour longer

    Too true, I think that much time on the tube could be worth a whole lot
    more cycling time. Especially if you consider how many colds and flu
    you can pick up down there.

  4. yorky

    yorky Guest

    LSMike wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    > > Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > : p.s. just for the record fasted time to work 1hr 19 minutes,

    faster
    > > : time home 1hr 15 (it's a bit more down hill), number of traffic

    > lights
    > > : en route about 130, number of crashes 2, typical time 1hr 30,

    time
    > for
    > > : ame journey on tube 1hr 10.
    > >
    > > That was some serious commuting. It's that final line that makes it
    > > seem sensible - if it's only 10-20 mins longer than the tube then
    > > that's much easier to justify than if it took an hour longer

    > Too true, I think that much time on the tube could be worth a whole

    lot
    > more cycling time. Especially if you consider how many colds and flu
    > you can pick up down there.

    I must admit that when it was pouring down in the moring, I was tempted
    more often than not by the tube, theres sometihing about arriving cold
    and wet, even when you have a shower at work that really doesn't set
    you up well for the day. I was never tempted in the middle of summer,
    unless I had to be somewhere in London in the evening, stiffling heat
    and no air-con, and they say the tube is modern. I must grudgingly
    give TFL credit for getting more tubes on the 'delayed' Met line
    working recently, when I have used the tube this year, I've only had
    one day when it took me over 2 hours to get to work, these used to be
    quite frequent (now you can see where the inspiration to cycle came
    from)

    Bryan

  5. yorky wrote:

    > I must admit that when it was pouring down in the moring, I was
    > tempted more often than not by the tube, theres sometihing about
    > arriving cold and wet, even when you have a shower at work that
    > really doesn't set you up well for the day.

    I reckon that by the time I've done the 15 minute walk to the tube, at the
    very least my feet will be wet and then I have to squelch about for another
    40 minutes /and/ put up with the hell that is the Northern Line (Bank
    branch). Even worse if my trousers are wet as well. No, don't like that at
    all.

    > I was never tempted in
    > the middle of summer, unless I had to be somewhere in London in the
    > evening, stiffling heat and no air-con, and they say the tube is
    > modern.

    Only /ever/ use the tube for that purpose. King Ken is apparently offering
    a Substantial Reward to anyone who can devise an air-con system that can be
    retro-fitted to current trains.

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    Graham Dean wrote:
    > Gosh - that's been some commuting! I'm slowly trying to manage 17

    miles a
    > day....

    I'm currently doing about 150 miles a day.

    Unfortunately, about 140 of those miles are by train. :-(

    d.

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > That was some serious commuting. It's that final line that makes it
    > seem sensible - if it's only 10-20 mins longer than the tube then
    > that's much easier to justify than if it took an hour longer

    A colleague of mine spends an hour each way on the tube every day, plus
    an hour in the gym three or four times a week... I've suggested the
    obvious time-saving strategy to her, but it hasn't yet sunk in.

    d.