It's "socking", really!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Roger Buchanan, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?

    I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for sure)
    and lots of other "performance" socks.

    The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.

    Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:

    Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable as
    they once were...<sigh>)

    with lots of other pairs to go along with them.

    I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    underwear anyway?
    --
    - Rog

    http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

    NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will
    be returned.

    Tags:

  2. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Roger Buchanan wrote:
    > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    >
    > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    >
    > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    >
    > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    >
    > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    > as they once were...<sigh>)
    >
    > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    >
    > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    > normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > underwear anyway?

    My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
    wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:

    2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
    socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
    orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
    spider web socks

    Kathleen

  3. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Roger Buchanan wrote:
    >> Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    >>
    >> I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    >> sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    >>
    >> The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    >>
    >> Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    >>
    >> Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    >> as they once were...<sigh>)
    >>
    >> with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    >>
    >> I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    >> normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    >> underwear anyway?
    >
    > My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
    > wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:
    >
    > 2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
    > socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
    > orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
    > spider web socks
    >
    > Kathleen

    What no singles? Is there no sock gremlin at your house?

    Paul- always looking for a mate.

  4. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Roger Buchanan wrote:

    > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    >
    > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    >
    > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    >
    > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    >
    > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    > as they once were...<sigh>)
    >
    > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    >
    > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    > normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > underwear anyway?
    Couple Pearly Zoomy's This big thick pair of Performance winter cycling socks Got a very cool pair
    of CU Buffs socks for Christmas. I think I'm gonna have to talk to lawyer before wearing them
    again* :-(

    Shawn

    *Barnett's gotta go.

  5. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
    I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
    they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?

    Tom (my feet feel just fine)

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
    > I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
    > they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?

    I buy cheap CoolMax socks, plain white $2 a pair last time I bought. Feet are cooler in the summer,
    and they dry much faster in the winter.

    Greg

  7. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at
    COSTCO
    > or the military BX. I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself.
    Tried
    > a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I
    > missing?

    Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.

  8. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    >
    > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    >
    > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    >
    > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    >
    > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    > as they once were...<sigh>)
    >
    > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    >
    > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    > normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > underwear anyway?
    > --
    > - Rog
    >
    > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
    >
    > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
    > returned.

    One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.

    I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks, but
    never see designs I really like...

    Jon Bond

  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:
    > "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    >>
    >>I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    >>sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    >>
    >>The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    >>
    >>Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    >>
    >>Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    >>as they once were...<sigh>)
    >>
    >>with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    >>
    >>I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    >>normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    >>underwear anyway?
    >>--
    >> - Rog
    >>
    >>http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
    >>
    >>NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
    >> returned.
    >

    > One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.
    >
    > I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks,
    > but never see designs I really like...
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Seen these? http://www.sockguy.com/socks.html

  10. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    mojo deluxe stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen
    :
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    >> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military BX.
    >> I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few times, now
    >> they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?
    >>
    > Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.

    huh, let me correct you.

    cotton does absorb moisture and holds it against the skin. In a shoe, that can lead to hot spots and
    blisters. , at worst the moisture will rob heat from your body in the winter, causing cold feet. It
    has no insulation properties what so ever in terms of retaining heat... that would be all that
    moisture encased by a shoe that's causing heat buildup.

    Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
    the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in warm weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit
    your foot better, less wrinkles and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.

    plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

    me: losing count, some wool ones, 2 sunbursts, 1 spaceman, Hottie, team terry, 2 daisys, IMBA and
    some nice short ones that Gab gave me for summer

    penny

    now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we thought was appendicitis, but it
    only turns out I have some mother of a kidney stone that's working it's way out. Pass the strainer,
    please.. ;-(

  11. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Roger Buchanan wrote:
    > > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    > >
    > > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    > > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    > >
    > > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    > >
    > > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    > >
    > > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    > > as they once were...<sigh>)
    > >
    > > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    > >
    > > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is
    > > that normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > > underwear anyway?
    >
    > My sock supply has been sorely depleted since my daughter discovered the joys of thin, comfortable
    > wicking socks. Searching both of our sock drawers I'd come up with:
    >
    > 2 prs IMBA socks 6 prs Schwinn Homegrown Tomato socks 1 pr black, red and green jalapeno pepper
    > socks 1 pr gold and red chili pepper socks 1 pr yellow and blue road runner socks 1 pr blue and
    > orange rising sun socks 1 pr red and black Specialized socks 2 pr black and white Fox socks 1 pr
    > spider web socks
    >
    > Kathleen

    That reads like a recipe for some very bad soup.

    1 pr Poison Spider 1 pr IMBA 1 pr HazMat 2 prs Hula Girls 1 pr Montauk Century 1 lonely Old Bicycle
    1 lonely Zoic

    Fave: 1 pr old blue Swobo woolies that are badly in need of some darning.

    Must have: the Canadian Maple Leaf socks.

    Gawd: I'm a dork.

    /s

  12. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we thought was appendicitis, but
    > it only turns out I have some mother of a kidney stone that's working it's way out. Pass the
    > strainer, please.. ;-(

    Yowch -- is this your first k-stone, Penny? I've had 3 or 4 over years, and underwent lithotrypsy
    twice (well, first time they managed to pull stone out, so didn't have to have it crushed). NURSE,
    MORE MORPHINE PLEASE!!!

    Hope it passes simply and soon,

    Bill "takes potassium citrate and HCTZ to prevent 'em now" S.

  13. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 25 Feb 2004 11:13:09 -0800, supabonbon wrote:

    > Gawd: I'm a dork.

    Yeah, you guys make it sound like some sort of fashion show. I just have a bunch of Performance
    Kevlar socks (they have kevlar in the heel & toe) that are grey, fairly tough, and cost $4 on sale.

    ...oh and I do have a couple pairs of DeFeet sock with holes in them. What total crap those were.

  14. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Is it just me, or do there seem to be more manufacturers with a greater range of socks?
    > >
    > > I've seen Godzilla socks (must have), Evil Clown socks (maybe have), Iris socks (for Linda for
    > > sure) and lots of other "performance" socks.
    > >
    > > The Dead Fish skeleton socks are another must have.
    > >
    > > Still I haven't exactly ridden out my existing stash of socks. My fav's, in no order, are:
    > >
    > > Big Ring Ale Socks (MMBA) "Radioactive" socks "Crash Test Dummy" socks (though not as applicable
    > > as they once were...<sigh>)
    > >
    > > with lots of other pairs to go along with them.
    > >
    > > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is
    > > that normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > > underwear anyway?
    > > --
    > > - Rog
    > >
    > > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
    > >
    > > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be
    > > returned.
    >
    > One pair of plain Defeet socks. Thats it.
    >
    > I usually wear just normal old champion ankle socks when I ride. I always plan on getting socks,
    > but never see designs I really like...

    Just get plain ones.

  15. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > mojo deluxe stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen
    > :
    > > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > >> Lots of plain white cotton in varying lengths, most bought on sale at COSTCO or the military
    > >> BX. I've never gotten the whole sock thing, myself. Tried a pair of "cycling socks" a few
    > >> times, now they just sit in the bottom of the drawer. What am I missing?
    > >>
    > > Once fabric (cotton) gets soaked, it cannot breath, and traps heat.
    >
    > huh, let me correct you.
    >
    > cotton does absorb moisture and holds it against the skin. In a shoe, that can lead to hot spots
    > and blisters. , at worst the moisture will rob heat from your body in the winter, causing cold
    > feet. It has no insulation properties what so ever in terms of retaining heat... that would be all
    that
    > moisture encased by a shoe that's causing heat buildup.
    >
    > Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
    > the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in
    warm
    > weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit your foot better, less
    wrinkles
    > and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.

    'Much' better explanation.

    Mine was the simplified explanation for warm/hot weather. I did not even consider cold weather.

    > plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

    Ha!! Ya mean the the 'over the calf double stripe' kind?? The only socks I have that go past my
    ankles are for wearing with my DMs.

    > me: losing count, some wool ones, 2 sunbursts, 1 spaceman, Hottie, team terry, 2 daisys, IMBA and
    > some nice short ones that Gab gave me for summer

    Hmmm, without looking, 1 white Voodoo Cycles, 1 black Voodoo, and a grab of five I got from ebay. I
    know 2 pair are Texas themed socks JD would just love to own. In fact one has, "Don't Mess with
    Texas" on them.

    > penny
    >
    > now don't ,mess with me - I was up all night in the ER with what we
    thought
    > was appendicitis, but it only turns out I have some mother of a kidney
    stone
    > that's working it's way out. Pass the strainer, please.. ;-(

    Sorry to hear that. May it pass quickly, and as painlessly as possible.

  16. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cycling socks are made out of wicking polyesters, which draw moisture away from the skin, keeping
    > the foot cooler. They are much cooler to wear in warm weather. The synthetic knits stretch and fit
    > your foot better, less wrinkles and blisters. For cold, wool insulates when wet.
    >
    > plus cotton gym socks have an exceedingly high dork factor.

    Maybe I've just got genetically freakish feet or something, cause it doesn't seem to matter what
    I've got on. In winter I wear thicker socks, summer it's lighter ones. Haven't noticed a difference
    whether I'm on the bike for 5 hours or 30 minutes. Maybe I'm just lucky.

    ....and when it comes to "dork factor" socks are pretty far down the list. I've got a lot of work to
    do before I get to that one.

    And lastly, it strikes me that I'm sitting here writing about f'in' socks! Cotton or otherwise,
    there's some exceedingly high dork factor all by itself.

    Tom (has no life)

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:46:13 +0000, BB wrote:

    > Yeah, you guys make it sound like some sort of fashion show. I just have a bunch of Performance
    > Kevlar socks (they have kevlar in the heel & toe)

    Bullet-proof socks? Whatever will they think of next?

    > ...oh and I do have a couple pairs of DeFeet sock with holes in them. What total crap those were.

    Go for the ones without the holes in future.

    HTH

  18. NotaKnob

    NotaKnob Guest

    > I think I have more pairs of biking socks than I do normal socks and underwear, combined. Is that
    > normal? Well, for this crowd I guess it is. Besides, who really needs more than 2 pair of
    > underwear anyway?
    > --

    I have white socks. black socks. grey socks. And my fat tire ale socks.

    nk