Its stuck!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, May 2, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    We tried everything. We have a cassette that is glued to the freehub. The usual chainwhip, wrench
    and lockring remover procedure wouldn't make it budge. We put the lockring remover on a vise and
    tried it that way, but it still wouldn't budge. We took it to Doug's shop. He tried every
    procedure in the book to pry that sucker loose, he broke a chainwhip in the process and it sent
    him flying painfully into the workbench. He was not impressed to say the least. The cassette was
    still glued on.

    So, now the wheel sits at home, the cassette is still stuck on it...it sarcastically grins at me
    everytime I look at it. I want to grab it and smash it against the wall in anger, but that would
    ruin a perfectly good wheel.

    Time to pull out the good ole' hacksaw? Perhaps its time to put the dremel to usage now...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > We tried everything. We have a cassette that is glued to the freehub. The usual chainwhip, wrench
    > and lockring remover procedure wouldn't make it budge. We put the lockring remover on a vise and
    > tried it that way, but it still wouldn't budge. We took it to Doug's shop. He tried every
    > procedure in the book to pry that sucker loose, he broke a chainwhip in the process and it sent
    > him flying painfully into the workbench. He was not impressed to say the least. The cassette was
    > still glued on.
    >
    > So, now the wheel sits at home, the cassette is still stuck on it...it sarcastically grins at me
    > everytime I look at it. I want to grab it and smash it against the wall in anger, but that would
    > ruin a perfectly good wheel.
    >
    > Time to pull out the good ole' hacksaw? Perhaps its time to put the dremel to usage now...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    May be a stupid question, but have you tried a good penetrating oil? Not sure if it is available in
    your area, but IMO PB Blaster works wonders.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > IMO PB Blaster works wonders.

    Dam travise.. that has got to be the first intelligent thing you;ve said in a LONG time.

    I HIGHLY endorse PB Blaster.. There is NO WAY I could maintain our fleet of late 80's Vovlo's
    without it!

    http://www.pbblaster.com/

    > ~Travis

    > We tried everything. We have a cassette that is glued to the freehub. The usual chainwhip, wrench
    > and lockring remover procedure wouldn't make it budge. We put the lockring remover on a vise and
    > tried it that way, but it still wouldn't budge. We took it to Doug's shop. He tried every
    > procedure in the book to pry that sucker loose, he broke a chainwhip in the process and it sent
    > him flying painfully into the workbench. He was not impressed to say the least. The cassette was
    > still glued on.
    >
    > So, now the wheel sits at home, the cassette is still stuck on it...it sarcastically grins at me
    > everytime I look at it. I want to grab it and smash it against the wall in anger, but that would
    > ruin a perfectly good wheel.
    >
    > Time to pull out the good ole' hacksaw? Perhaps its time to put the dremel to usage now...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Let it soak in penetrating oil for a few hours and then blow tourch it for a minute or two. You will
    burn the rubber seal if there is one and you will definitly have to repack the bearings but you will
    probably be able to get the lock ring off.
    --
    _________________________

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > IMO PB Blaster works wonders.
    >
    > Dam travise.. that has got to be the first intelligent thing you;ve said in a LONG time.
    >
    > I HIGHLY endorse PB Blaster.. There is NO WAY I could maintain our fleet of late 80's Vovlo's
    > without it!
    >
    > http://www.pbblaster.com/
    >

    > > ~Travis

    And they even have a website? huh, guess you find new information every day (but them, what company
    doesn't have a website).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  6. Have you tried a hyper craker? It breaks free the outer lockring on inner threaded HyperGlide
    cassette hubs. With the rear wheel removed, it slides into the twelve sided lockring star, then the
    rear wheel is re-installed. Pressure on the cranks revolves the wheel, until a vinyl lever contacts
    the seatstay, at which point added pressure backs off the lockring.

    I got mine back in the v/early 90's, so I don't know if they are still sold.

    Here's a url for a page with a picture of one about 2/3 of the way down >>

    http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewheels/fw_cas_tools.html

    Here's the review on MTBReview >>

    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Tools/product_23435.shtml

    Russ

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > We tried everything. We have a cassette that is glued to the freehub.
    The
    > > usual chainwhip, wrench and lockring remover procedure wouldn't make it budge. We put the
    > > lockring remover on a vise and tried it that way, but
    it
    > > still wouldn't budge. We took it to Doug's shop. He tried every
    procedure in
    > > the book to pry that sucker loose, he broke a chainwhip in the process
    and
    > > it sent him flying painfully into the workbench. He was not impressed to
    say
    > > the least. The cassette was still glued on.
    > >
    > > So, now the wheel sits at home, the cassette is still stuck on it...it sarcastically grins at me
    > > everytime I look at it. I want to grab it and smash it against the wall in anger, but that would
    > > ruin a perfectly good wheel.
    > >
    > > Time to pull out the good ole' hacksaw? Perhaps its time to put the
    dremel
    > > to usage now...
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    > >

    > Let it soak in penetrating oil for a few hours and then blow tourch it for a minute or two. You
    > will burn the rubber seal if there is one and you will definitly have to repack the bearings but
    > you will probably be able to get the lock ring off.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Russell Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have you tried a hyper craker? It breaks free the outer lockring on inner threaded HyperGlide
    > cassette hubs. With the rear wheel removed, it slides into the twelve sided lockring star, then
    > the rear wheel is re-installed. Pressure on the cranks revolves the wheel, until a vinyl lever
    > contacts
    the
    > seatstay, at which point added pressure backs off the lockring.

    We have a hypercracker. It didn't work either and we actually wound up bending it in the process :-(

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  8. Perhaps along with the penetrating oil (Cyclo Break Away)- add a 6 pack of beer and a BFH ( You know
    that hammer thingee) - soak the cassette as you drink the beer - and tap ever so lightly with the
    BFH - as the evening progresses and the beer is gone - go sleep off the buzz and then try to remove
    the seized part in the morning - often times the added light vibration will do more than brute force

  9. Wayne Cattanach wrote:
    > Perhaps along with the penetrating oil (Cyclo Break Away)- add a 6 pack of beer and a BFH (
    > You know that hammer thingee) - soak the cassette as you drink the beer - and tap ever so
    > lightly with the BFH - as the evening progresses and the beer is gone - go sleep off the buzz
    > and then try to remove the seized part in the morning - often times the added light vibration
    > will do more than brute force

    a dead-blow (lead shot filled) mallet is quite effective to this end.

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Did you try a 14 inch adjustable wrench and a sledge hammer. If that and the 2 of
    > you together didn't work its cut off tool time. You can get a new locking nut.
    >

    > MTB Ride hard die free.

    the way, though slightly different, that i have seen my LBS do it is to do like above, but rather
    than using a hammer, they stomp on the wrench.

    Though if it is as tight as you have stated, i think it just may be cut off time.

    ~Travis
    --

  11. Fred Hinkson wrote:
    > Did you try a 14 inch adjustable wrench and a sledge hammer. If that and the 2 of
    > you together didn't work its cut off tool time. You can get a new locking nut.

    Send it to me, I'll get it off!

  12. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Carla A-G at [email protected] wrote on 5/2/03 8:33 AM:

    > We tried everything. We have a cassette that is glued to the freehub. The usual chainwhip, wrench
    > and lockring remover procedure wouldn't make it budge. We put the lockring remover on a vise and
    > tried it that way, but it still wouldn't budge. We took it to Doug's shop. He tried every
    > procedure in the book to pry that sucker loose, he broke a chainwhip in the process and it sent
    > him flying painfully into the workbench. He was not impressed to say the least. The cassette was
    > still glued on.
    >
    > So, now the wheel sits at home, the cassette is still stuck on it...it sarcastically grins at me
    > everytime I look at it. I want to grab it and smash it against the wall in anger, but that would
    > ruin a perfectly good wheel.
    >
    > Time to pull out the good ole' hacksaw? Perhaps its time to put the dremel to usage now...

    Find a friend with a walk-in freezer, or someone who has some room in their cooler.

    Put the rim into the freezer & wait 24 hrs.

    Put on some gloves or you'll stick when you take it out....

    You can either let it warm up naturally or apply _light_ heat with a torch to the cassette.

    Couple of taps to the face of it might not hurt.

    I recommend a cheater bar (pipe to end of chainwhip) rather than a hammer to the chainwhip. Steady
    increase of pressure.

    Good luck!

    -- Jim