its windy and cold

trek-man

New Member
Apr 10, 2005
Suck it up marine.
I finally rebuilt my bike, its sitting there now looking at me whispering ride me i know you want to but its windy and cold outside and my new jersey hasnt arrived, my sunnys are broken, and any other excuse i can think of. Those campy shifters look the goods though. Ah smeg i'll be back in a couple of hours. :p

trek-man said:
Suck it up marine.
I finally rebuilt my bike, its sitting there now looking at me whispering ride me i know you want to but its windy and cold outside and my new jersey hasnt arrived, my sunnys are broken, and any other excuse i can think of. Those campy shifters look the goods though. Ah smeg i'll be back in a couple of hours. :p

cold? Mt Isa Qld?? WTF???

you talkin about the weather or the beer...

flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> trek-man Wrote:
> > Suck it up marine.
> > I finally rebuilt my bike, its sitting there now looking at me
> > whispering -ride me i know you want to- but its windy and cold outside
> > and my new jersey hasnt arrived, my sunnys are broken, and any other
> > excuse i can think of. Those campy shifters look the goods though. Ah
> > smeg i'll be back in a couple of hours. :p

> cold? Mt Isa Qld?? WTF???
>
> you talkin about the weather or the beer...

BoM reports 23 celcius in Mt Isa at midday. Poor bastards must huddled
together in the corner hoping praying for a bit of sunshine.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Well, comparatively speaking cold. It gets down reeeeaalllll low at night aswell. I even thought seriously about a set of leg and arm warmers. Did i tell you i nearly ran into a cow, well half of a cow anyway. It was a pungent experience.

Hmmmm contemplating next posting as Towoomba, going from one extreme to another but gee the downhill would be fun.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - splat.
:eek:

trek-man said:
Well, comparatively speaking cold. It gets down reeeeaalllll low at night aswell. I even thought seriously about a set of leg and arm warmers. Did i tell you i nearly ran into a cow, well half of a cow anyway. It was a pungent experience.

The weather here has finally turned.. nasty T'storm this morning and now rain that so far has only eased once, to allow for my tent escape and brekkie dash. Still in shorts and t-shirt though. See thehippy.net for details.

hippy
- killing time online

cold???!!!! in Qld????

Dunno 'bout the nights up there, but I'm sure the days are positively balmy.

Down here we just had a nice "mild" day of about 14 degrees, and it was about 12C by 6pm, which is riding time. Last week we had about 5 days in a row of frost, with maximums in the suburbs of about 11 degrees!! By riding time it was about 9 or 10 degrees, and by home time (about 8) it was about 7 or 8!!!

Dunno how people live in Ballarat :p

531Aussie said:
... Last week we had about 5 days in a row of frost, with maximums in the suburbs of about 11 degrees!!

pffttt! try livin up in the 'highlands' of north (boring) balwyn! temps are always 4-5 deg colder than they say on the nice weatherman version, si you dresss acording to one universe, roll down the hill a few km and find yourself in another!
wouldnt mind if i had a little uphill to start/warmup on but rolling downhill, whilst it SOUNDS appealing is very cold-making in the am and always THERE on the way home when you want to cool off/slow down!

531Aussie said:
Dunno how people live in Ballarat :p

i think its more a 'co-exist' thing... my dad always used to say he would give his socks to anyone who would bomb Ballarat. never realised his socks were that special!

flyingdutch wrote:
> 531Aussie Wrote:
>
>>... Last week we had about 5 days in a row of frost, with maximums in
>>the suburbs of about 11 degrees!!

> pffttt! try livin up in the 'highlands' of north (boring) balwyn!
> temps are always 4-5 deg colder than they say on the nice weatherman
> version, si you dresss acording to one universe, roll down the hill a
> few km and find yourself in another!
> wouldnt mind if i had a little uphill to start/warmup on but rolling
> downhill, whilst it SOUNDS appealing is very cold-making in the am and
> always THERE on the way home when you want to cool off/slow down!

I must say our house in north balwy was always 5 degrees colder than the
rest of the world. Always. very strange
Hated that place

> B531Aussie Wrote:
>
>>Dunno how people live in Ballarat :p

> i think its more a 'co-exist' thing... my dad always used to say he
> would give his socks to anyone who would bomb Ballarat. never realised
> his socks were that special!

[email protected] (Peter McCallum) wrote in
news:1gz6fao.1l250ddj0pq8N%[email protected]:

> flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> trek-man Wrote:
>> > Suck it up marine.
>> > I finally rebuilt my bike, its sitting there now looking at me
>> > whispering -ride me i know you want to- but its windy and cold

outside
>> > and my new jersey hasnt arrived, my sunnys are broken, and any

other
>> > excuse i can think of. Those campy shifters look the goods though.

Ah
>> > smeg i'll be back in a couple of hours. :p

>> cold? Mt Isa Qld?? WTF???
>>
>> you talkin about the weather or the beer...

> BoM reports 23 celcius in Mt Isa at midday. Poor bastards must huddled
> together in the corner hoping praying for a bit of sunshine.

Wind chill factor. If you have a look there's not much between them and
Antartica when the South Westerly is blowing.

On a more serious note Mt Isa is one of the few places in Qld where
there are 24hr (night searches) for missing, healthy adults (This is
changing). If you are in the open in winter at night you are in trouble
(people have died) and the same if you are out during the day without
cover.

There are very few places on the coast that experience 25 degree or more
changes during the night/day cycle. It does that almost every day out
west.

Cheers
BrettM

flyingdutch said:
pffttt! try livin up in the 'highlands' of north (boring) balwyn! temps are always 4-5 deg colder than they say on the nice weatherman version, !
WHAAAAAT?? Really?
It's not exactly Emerald :)

flyingdutch said:
i think its more a 'co-exist' thing... my dad always used to say he would give his socks to anyone who would bomb Ballarat. never realised his socks were that special!
Ha, :D

BrettM <[email protected]> wrote:
> On a more serious note Mt Isa is one of the few places in Qld where
> there are 24hr (night searches) for missing, healthy adults

I can only assume that's:
a. To drag absconders back
b. Because there are so many drunks wandering about trying to find their
front door

[Hope my darling (former Mt Isan) wife never reads this or i'm in
trouble - again]

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

trek-man wrote:
> Well, comparatively speaking cold. It gets down reeeeaalllll low at
> night aswell. I even thought seriously about a set of leg and arm
> warmers. Did i tell you i nearly ran into a cow, well half of a cow
> anyway. It was a pungent experience.
>
> Hmmmm contemplating next posting as Towoomba, going from one extreme to
> another but gee the downhill would be fun.
> Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - splat.

that little downhill ... of the edge of the range... i was clocked doing
120 down there once[1] ... but that was when i was young and stoopid ;)

it gets bloody cold in woomby at night, especially witht he high wind
blowing all the low cloud up from the valley, which makes visibility
very bad... but summers are great =)

cheers,

kim
[1] yes, on a bike.

Kim wrote:
> trek-man wrote:
>
>> Well, comparatively speaking cold. It gets down reeeeaalllll low at
>> night aswell. I even thought seriously about a set of leg and arm
>> warmers. Did i tell you i nearly ran into a cow, well half of a cow
>> anyway. It was a pungent experience.
>>
>> Hmmmm contemplating next posting as Towoomba, going from one extreme to
>> another but gee the downhill would be fun.
>> Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - splat.

> that little downhill ... of the edge of the range... i was clocked doing
> 120 down there once[1] ... but that was when i was young and stoopid ;)
>
> it gets bloody cold in woomby at night, especially witht he high wind
> blowing all the low cloud up from the valley, which makes visibility
> very bad... but summers are great =)
>
> cheers,
>
> kim
> [1] yes, on a bike.

Thats nothing.. I have a ticket for doing 190 kph on beach rd on a bike
somewhere.

When the world was young.

Motorbike tho. :)

BrettM wrote:
> There are very few places on the coast that experience 25 degree or more
> changes during the night/day cycle. It does that almost every day out
> west.

when i was working out in SW Qld, near Thargo, we has 3-35, in a day!
very odd picking ice off the bonnet of the car in the morning,
then having the aircon on full blast in the arvo.

cheers,

Kim

Thats it exactly. If i go for a morning ride its bloody freezing when i leave and baking on the way back into town. I was listening to the radio one morning at 8.00am and they said overnight low of three degrees maximum today of 30 and currently 28 degrees. It warms up pretty fast.

Mind you that still dosent excuse me from being a lazy fatarse :D

[email protected] (Peter McCallum) wrote in
news:1gz7bgi.egsomg1indv5gN%[email protected]:

> BrettM <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On a more serious note Mt Isa is one of the few places in Qld where
>> there are 24hr (night searches) for missing, healthy adults

> I can only assume that's:
> a. To drag absconders back
> b. Because there are so many drunks wandering about trying to find
> their front door

I resemble that remark.

> [Hope my darling (former Mt Isan) wife never reads this or i'm in
> trouble - again]

One good thing about Mt Isa is that you don't have to go too far to find
good hills. A bad thing is that you don't have to go too far to find
good hills. Centre of town is 350m AHD and it only goes up from there.
Or down (for the permenant night shift). Means that Mt Isa is actually
a mountain.

Cheers

BrettM

trek-man <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Thats it exactly. If i go for a morning ride its bloody freezing when

> leave and baking on the way back into town. I was listening to the
> radio one morning at 8.00am and they said overnight low of three
> degrees maximum today of 30 and currently 28 degrees. It warms up
> pretty fast.
>
> Mind you that still dosent excuse me from being a lazy fatarse :D

The wind is what gets me. Doesn't matter what you wear it just goes
through it.

Who sells bikes out there these days since Curly Dann's is gone? That
was a real sports store - cricket, golf, tennis, camping gear and
firearms with a reasonable selection of bikes (for the 1980's - I got my
Peugot there :)

Cheers
BrettM

Sportspower sells bikes out here now (dont ask) and theres a reason im buying my next ride in Brissy when next im down. Either that or you could ride with the gods from k-mart. Its a fun place for MTBing with the accompanying Oh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit every now and then. Its especially good for riding full pelt down a big hill into the river when it runs.
Its definately a cultural experience though (flash back to Imparja tv add) dont sleep on the road, to many brudders die on the road and grog is not a good food. :(