Ivan Basso "I get no respect!"

Tejano

Mar 11, 2005
Why doesn´t Basso get a little more respect?

I remember after the Tour last year people were talking about who is going to be the "Future" of cycling.

Armstrong used Valverede and the "Future" of cycling in the same sentence.

And as I live in Spain I remember Manolo Saiz making a short list of 3 or 4 Spanish riders who could be the "Future" of cycling. (After 3 of his riders tested positive for EPO last year maybe he knows something we don´t).

Anyone else remember possible "Future´s" of cycling being talked about?

Basso is the real deal!

1. How old is Basso? 28!
2. How old were the only two 5 or 5+ TDF champions of the modern era when they won there first TDF? 27!
3. Does Basso ride for a shitty team? No, just the contrary! He rides for one of the best teams in cycling today!
4. Has he demostrated anything to date? 3rd in the TDF at 26! 2nd in the TDF at 27 (And the only reason he lost the TDF last year was because he was racing against the greatest rider to ever race the god forsaken event!)

Basso could easily win the next 5 T´sDF! Give the man a little respect! Please! He is the present and the "Future" of cycling!

Basso is going to do an Armstrong at the Tour this year! It´s gonna get damn boring pretty damn quick!

Tejano said:

Cunego
Danielson
Ullrich :eek:
Vandenbroucke
Sevilla

And I don't know about 5 TdFs but Basso is on everyone's short list to excel in the Tour and probably this year's top pick for close to half of all fans. He gets plenty of respect... in fact I don't remember anybody ever saying anything bad about him except maybe the odd poor performance.

Tejano said:

I remember after the Tour last year people were talking about who is going to be the "Future" of cycling.

Armstrong used Valverede and the "Future" of cycling in the same sentence.

And as I live in Spain I remember Manolo Saiz making a short list of 3 or 4 Spanish riders who could be the "Future" of cycling. (After 3 of his riders tested positive for EPO last year maybe he knows something we don´t).

Basso is the real deal!

1. How old is Basso? 28!
2. How old were the only two 5 or 5+ TDF champions of the modern era when they won there first TDF? 27!
3. Does Basso ride for a shitty team? No, just the contrary! He rides for one of the best teams in cycling today!
4. Has he demostrated anything to date? 3rd in the TDF at 26! 2nd in the TDF at 27 (And the only reason he lost the TDF last year was because he was racing against the greatest rider to ever race the god forsaken event!)

Basso could easily win the next 5 T´sDF! Give the man a little respect! Please! He is the present and the "Future" of cycling!

Basso is going to do an Armstrong at the Tour this year! It´s gonna get damn boring pretty damn quick!

He gets a lot of respect.
Basso was U-23 world champion - he's been touted as the next best thing.
He's team leader at CSC.

What more does he want?

DiabloScott said:
And I don't know about 5 TdFs but Basso is on everyone's short list to excel in the Tour and probably this year's top pick for close to half of all fans.
Baby steps! One Tour at a time!

Okay I´m exagerating a bit, but I just don´t see how you use Basso and Valverde or Cunego or Landis or Vino or who ever in the same sentence with Basso and TDF!

Ullrich is old and we all know that old dogs and new tricks just don´t work.
So I say Basso is in a class all by himself and that deserves a little more respect.

limerickman said:
Basso was U-23 world champion
What more does he want?
That´s what I´m talking about!

He was U-23 champion?????
The guy has done a hell of a lot more than that!
He´s got a damn good palmares at 27 and you post

U-23 champion?

Give the man more credit!

Tejano said:
That´s what I´m talking about!

He was U-23 champion?????
The guy has done a hell of a lot more than that!
He´s got a damn good palmares at 27 and you post

U-23 champion?

Give the man more credit!

I highlighted the U-23 for openers : he gets respect.

Tejano said:

I wasn't aware that Basso wasn't getting a lot of respect? He's got magazine covers, tons of fans, and many people do think he will this year's Tour and maybe more.

And that's pretty good since he hasn't yet actually won the Tour :)

tcklyde said:
I wasn't aware that Basso wasn't getting a lot of respect? He's got magazine covers, tons of fans, and many people do think he will this year's Tour and maybe more.

And that's pretty good since he hasn't yet actually won the Tour :)
Yea seriously. Lots of people, myself included, think he'll win the '06 Tour. That said, I'll be pulling for Levi Leipheimer as my dark horse candidate.

I would tend to agree, if you were to have phrased your statement to read "Ullrich gets unwarranted praise and respect when compared to Basso." But just to flat-out say Basso gets no respect is silly.

I do believe Basso will take this year's Tour, despite the rather shameful crafting of the parcours to suit Ullrich.

I also feel that Basso would have given Lance much more of a challenge last year if he had peaked at the right time; he did not quite peak until just after the Tour, at the Tour of Denmark, where he was unsurpassable. I mean, it's a totally flat race! And he was dominating.

I'm a bit concerned by his attempt to take out two Grand Tours. I would prefer him to focus on the Tour this year, win it, then attempt a double in '07.

Basso gets plenty of respect. Past two years he's been labeled as a "Tour contender." I and believe that this might be the year he finally wins it.

Catabolic_Jones said:
I'm a bit concerned by his attempt to take out two Grand Tours. I would prefer him to focus on the Tour this year, win it, then attempt a double in '07.
Have to disagree with you. A return to the way it should be... champions should be riding two grand tours, with the objective of winning them. Period.

Ask people who has the best chance of winning this years tdf and Basso is always in the top 3 contenders. That shows respect from the fans at least.

Tejano said:

Tejano said:
Okay I´m exagerating a bit, but I just don´t see how you use Basso and Valverde or Cunego or Landis or Vino or who ever in the same sentence with Basso and TDF!

Simple: none have won the Tour (yet); all are regarded as being contenders to win the Tour.

Cunego has already won a grand tour; do you think he's getting too much respect?

There's a scene in 'Overcoming' where Riis and Basso are in the hotel after the Alp D'Huez time trial in 2004. Basso says, 'it wasn't that bad' (referring to his performance and being caught by Armstrong); Riis looks silently at him for a long time then says, 'it's not good enough'.

He gets plenty of respect. He's a superb cyclist. But he isn't King **** yet.

meandmybike said:
There's a scene in 'Overcoming' where Riis and Basso are in the hotel after the Alp D'Huez time trial in 2004. Basso says, 'it wasn't that bad' (referring to his performance and being caught by Armstrong); Riis looks silently at him for a long time then says, 'it's not good enough'.

He gets plenty of respect. He's a superb cyclist. But he isn't King **** yet.

A great scene. A great movie.

I don't know about you but it's quite clear that there is no love lost between Riis and Armstrong.

limerickman said:
A great scene. A great movie.

I don't know about you but it's quite clear that Riis loathed Armstrong too.

A great movie indeed. And one that a few people on here could do with watching to appreciate how ludicrous the 'I work harder' BS that Armstrong used to spout was.

I wonder who chose the quotation from Faust in the intro - the director or Riis?

I'm sure I'll be shot down for saying this but I can't help feeling that Riis' desire for a new way of doing things is born of his having danced with the Devil and not wanting others to go there. He has too much compassion for his riders to be motivated purely by the desire to win.

meandmybike said:
A great movie indeed. And one that a few people on here could do with watching to appreciate how ludicrous the 'I work harder' BS that Armstrong used to spout was.

I wonder who chose the quotation from Faust in the intro - the director or Riis?

I'm sure I'll be shot down for saying this but I can't help feeling that Riis' desire for a new way of doing things is born of his having danced with the Devil and not wanting others to go there. He has too much compassion for his riders to be motivated purely by the desire to win.

Can't account for the Faust quotation, M&M.

Agree with the comment about the training - we can actually see CSC training in the movie unlike poeple writing about it in a book and us having to take their word for it.

What is clear from the movie is Riis's almost paternal interest in his team.
He really does look after them - he's almost too protective it seems.
That behaviour could be born out from as you say "dancing with the devil".
His time with Gewiss must have had some impact on him.

Even in the Giro last year - when Basso's stomach let him down - Riis asked him to climb off but Basso insisted on going on (even when he was 45mins down on GC).
Riis didn't argue - he was prepared to let Ivan do his thing.