Ivan Dominguez's Day at the Office

alienator

Jun 10, 2004

He could be the new poster boy for helmet safety.

I don't know if this is a new trend, but I'm seeing more and more people (mostly guys) riding without helmets. I'm talking about road cyclists. I always see one or two when I'm out riding, but I lost count on my last ride. Over the course of 30 miles, I saw about 10 without helmets, and most of them were serious riders in full kit. I find this extremely troubling.

Whether someone wants to become an organ donor is upto them but personally I'll wear my helmet every ride. I've had a few whoopsies on the bike that would have left me in serious trouble if I hadn't had a helmet on...

... that said, the recent increase that I've also noticed in guys riding bicycles around with no helmet still pales into insignificance to guys riding 1 liter sports bikes wearing jeans and t-shirts. The Yamaha R1 seems to have really captured the hearts of squids all over the country that seemingly overspent on the bike and couldn't afford the riding kit afterwards.

I once treated (as a paramedic) one of two guys who had crashed their sport bikes on I-25 in Denver, just south of the Mousetrap. Both were wearing gym shorts, flip flops, and that's it. The guy I treated had a big flat spot ground into his ass, and by big, I mean an area that was about 6-8" in diameter. Needless to say, he was feeling sub-optimal.

If that's all he got then he was pretty lucky... Making as ass of yourself by unmaking your ass. Nice.

Quote:Originally Posted by alienator .I once treated (as a paramedic) one of two guys who had crashed their sport bikes on I-25 in Denver, just south of the Mousetrap. Both were wearing gym shorts, flip flops, and that's it. The guy I treated had a big flat spot ground into his ass, and by big, I mean an area that was about 6-8" in diameter. Needless to say, he was feeling sub-optimal.

I remember watching a triathlon about 100 years ago. It was an odd format. Swim/Bike/Run/Swim/Bike/Run/Swim/Bike/Run. The bike leg was a 12km loop around a local dam. It rained and there was oil on the corner leading into transition. Every second Tritardelete was racing up to the corner, left crank down on a left hand turn, and laying it down. Geez it makes a mess when someone slides along the road wearing only **** togs. It was also the first time I ever saw a Vitus TT bike. Super record, mavic disc, better than the bike Sean Kelly was riding at the time. The owner of said machine rode out of the transition with his aero cinelli helmet on backwards and got passed by two women. Having money does not equate to having a brain. Or talent.

There's a resident of Tucson who's known for buying expensive bikes. He's added aero bars to at least on of said road bikes and once fell asleep on his aero bars and crashed. No, he wasn't in some super endurance event.