I've been eaten by mosquitoes!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bob M, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob M

Bob M Guest

Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area? I
    know there's DEET, but is there anything else? Or is DEET the way to go?

Thanks.

PS -- I never had this problem in AZ -- I think the mosquitoes burnt up in mid-flight due to the
    intense heat!

--
    Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

Tags:

2. Bob in CT says:

>Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?

Garlic works well for me in RI ;-) Just make sure your SO does similarly......

Steve

3. John Harlow

John Harlow Guest

> Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?

Off Deep Forest (deet). They won't come near.

4. J'M Sm'Th

J'M Sm'Th Guest

Bob M wrote:
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area? I
    > know there's DEET, but is there anything else? Or is DEET the way to go?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS -- I never had this problem in AZ -- I think the mosquitoes burnt up in mid-flight due to the
    > intense heat!
    >
    > --
    > Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

If 100% DEET won't do it, you might try some permethrin treatments for you clothes [won't do your
    exposed skin any good]. This stuff stays in the clothes over several washings, and will deal with
    insects and ticks. Note that permethrins can make you really sick if you ingest them, so wear rubber
    gloves when handling the stuff. IIRC, the product I'm thinking of is 'bug-off'.

--
    J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

5. Raymo853

Raymo853 Guest

I have resigned myself to say there are no good replants I would be willing to use. Either deal with
    getting bite, stay out of the woods, or always where heavy long sleve pants and shirts. All the
    replelants that works are deadly to you, and all the ones that are not don't work. Doing forestry
    work a few years back using 50% DEET I saw no real effect and just learned to give up chasing them
    off and just to deal with it.

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area? I
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > PS -- I never had this problem in AZ -- I think the mosquitoes burnt up in mid-flight due to the
    > intense heat!
    >
    > --

6. Sorni

Sorni Guest

If anyone has this year's "Far Side" wall calendar, the July cartoon is a crack-up:

Caption is "Wait a minute! McCallister, you fool! *This* isn't what I said to bring!"

Pic is of two guys (covered with bites/bumps) in woods with a cloud of skeeters around 'em. One's
    holding a can of "ON".

Bill "well, *I* liked it, anyway" S.

7. Bob M

Bob M Guest

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:01:08 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?
    >> I know there's DEET, but is there anything else? Or is DEET the way to go?
    >
    > If anyone has this year's "Far Side" wall calendar, the July cartoon is a crack-up:
    >
    > Caption is "Wait a minute! McCallister, you fool! *This* isn't what I said to bring!"
    >
    > Pic is of two guys (covered with bites/bumps) in woods with a cloud of skeeters around 'em. One's
    > holding a can of "ON".
    >
    > Bill "well, *I* liked it, anyway" S.
    >
    >
    >

That's good! The Far Side was funny. Thanks to all -- it looks like DEET is about it. I'll give it a
    try this weekend (4th means two riding days for me) and see what happens.

--
    Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

8. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry Guest

Sorni wrote:

>
    >>Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area? I
    >>know there's DEET, but is there anything else? Or is DEET the way to go?
    >
    >
    > If anyone has this year's "Far Side" wall calendar, the July cartoon is a crack-up:
    >
    > Caption is "Wait a minute! McCallister, you fool! *This* isn't what I said to bring!"
    >
    > Pic is of two guys (covered with bites/bumps) in woods with a cloud of skeeters around 'em. One's
    > holding a can of "ON".
    >
    > Bill "well, *I* liked it, anyway" S.
    >
    >
    Guess I used "On" too. I bought one in May. http://web0.greatbasin.net/~hcsoaring/pages/mosquito.htm
    but that's being bitten by a different bug :)

9. M&M

M&M Guest

Bob M <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > intense heat!

Ive used Avon Skin So Soft for years . It doesn't work for everybody
    . But for whatever reason , the skeeters never came near me when I was wearing it . I used it before
    they came out with the anti bug Skin So Soft which may contain DEET .

M&M

10. Alpe

Alpe Guest

>
    > Thanks.
    >
    > intense heat!
    >
    > --

Ride faster! :)

-alpe

11. Bob M

Bob M Guest

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:43:01 GMT, alpe <nobody[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?
    >> I know there's DEET, but is there anything else? Or is DEET the way to go?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> PS -- I never had this problem in AZ -- I think the mosquitoes burnt up in mid-flight due to the
    >> intense heat!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply
    >
    >
    > Ride faster! :)
    >
    > -alpe
    >
    >
    >

That is true! I only get eaten when riding slow. However, I'm unfamiliar with the area I've been
    riding in, so this necessitates stopping and looking at a map.

--
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

12. Hosh

Hosh Guest

> Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?

No mosquito repellents work. If you are riding, this should not be a problem anyway. Just don't stop
    in shady areas or ride at night. If you ride in bright hot sun, mosquitos will never bother you.

13. Hosh

Hosh Guest

John Harlow wrote:

> > Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England area?
    >
    > Off Deep Forest (deet). They won't come near.

That would be because they were not there to begin with. No repellents, chemical or electronic,
    work. Period.

14. Hosh

Hosh Guest

Raymo853 wrote:

> I have resigned myself to say there are no good replants

Correct.

> Either deal with getting bite, stay out of the woods, or always where heavy long sleve pants
    > and shirts.

If you stay in the Sun, you don't have to worry about it at all. Stop riding at night or in shady
    areas with lots of plants.

15. Sec

Sec Guest

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:39:51 GMT, Hosh <[email protected]> wrote:

>No repellents, chemical or electronic, work. Period.

DEET definitely works; especially Muskal because it has more DEET than most. Trust me... where I
    live, I know.

16. > DEET definitely works; especially Muskal because it has more DEET than most. Trust me... where I
    > live, I know.

I second that. Get it ALL over.

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

17. Mtbchip

Mtbchip Guest

in article [email protected], Hosh at [email protected] wrote on
    7/7/03 4:38 PM:

High dose of vitamin B1 and a B complex. Works in the Caribbean

18. J'M Sm'Th

J'M Sm'Th Guest

Hosh wrote:
    >
    > John Harlow wrote:
    >
    > > > Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant for the New England
    > > > area?
    > >
    > > Off Deep Forest (deet). They won't come near.
    >
    > That would be because they were not there to begin with. No repellents, chemical or electronic,
    > work. Period.

Sure, they do. You aren't related to JPuddin'head, are you? Get that springy saddle out of your ass
    and go try some new chemicals, buddy.

--
    J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

19. Raymo853

Raymo853 Guest

For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3 mph
    so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.

"Hosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations for mosquito (and tick) repellant
    for
    > > the New England area?
    >
    > No mosquito repellents work. If you are riding, this should not be a problem anyway. Just don't
    > stop in shady areas or ride at night. If
    you
    > ride in bright hot sun, mosquitos will never bother you.

20. Bob M

Bob M Guest

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:54:36 -0400, Raymo853 <[email protected]> wrote:

> For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3
    > mph so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.
    >
    >
    Yeah, I'm just new to the area, so it's the time when I'm fooling with my GPS or reading my map when
    the little buggers attack me. Once I learn the trail, then I won't be bad, but I'm still learning
    and their are quite a few trails.

--
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.