I've been eaten by mosquitoes!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bob M, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:21:53 -0500, J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hosh wrote:

    >> repellant for
    >> >
    >> > Off Deep Forest (deet). They won't come near.
    >>
    >> That would be because they were not there to begin with. No repellents, chemical or electronic,
    >> work. Period.
    >
    > Sure, they do. You aren't related to JPuddin'head, are you? Get that springy saddle out of your
    > ass and go try some new chemicals, buddy.

    Well, I tried DEET and I have to say that I had a lot less bug bites the last two times, although
    the mosquitoes were just as bad as or worse than when I first went out.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  2. > >> >

    > >> That would be because they were not there to begin with. No repellents, chemical or electronic,
    > >> work. Period.
    > >
    > > Sure, they do. You aren't related to JPuddin'head, are you? Get that springy saddle out of your
    > > ass and go try some new chemicals, buddy.
    > >

    > Well, I tried DEET and I have to say that I had a lot less bug bites the last two times, although
    > the mosquitoes were just as bad as or worse than when I first went out.

    Just about every good repelant contains DEET, you have to be careful though, I had a jersey that
    was litteraly eaten by what I think was pure deet some guy in the military gave me. I just tried
    Off! foaming spray, it's just like hair mouse and has 7.5% DEET, I found it very effective and easy
    to put on.

    --
    _________________________

  3. Higb

    Higb Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just about every good repelant contains DEET, you have to be careful though, I had a jersey that
    > was litteraly eaten by what I think was pure deet some guy in the military gave me. I just tried
    > Off! foaming spray, it's just like hair mouse and has 7.5% DEET, I found it very effective and
    > easy to put on.

    They always warn that DEET will eat synthetics. From what I've seen, the low concentrations are
    supposed to work, but fade more quickly than the higher ones. Some studies show life in hours with
    pure DEET being like 6 hours and 30% DEET being 2 hours (IIRC).

    DEET worked for me the few times I used it in the Yukon (not every stop had mosquitos). I also
    took some Avon stuff but didn't try it. I do notice that Avon has something that has an SPF
    factor, so rather than running some chemistry experiment of sunblock+bugblock on your skin you can
    just use the one.

    I haven't hit many mosquitos in So Cal this year, but I did get bit by a few (six?) deerflies on a
    hike up Harding Truck Trail (from Modjeska Canyon). If I go back there I might try the
    sunblock+bugblock stuff. Of course they were biting me through my shirt so who knows if that will
    be enough.

  4. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:54:36 -0400, "Raymo853" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3 mph
    >so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.

    I dunno, the genetic mutants up here in AK seem to keep pace frighteningly well. They'll even draft
    you to match speed.

    I may be lying on that last one.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  5. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3
    > mph so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.

    Exactly. How the hell are people getting bit by mosquitos when they are riding bikes???

  6. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > Yeah, I'm just new to the area, so it's the time when I'm fooling with my GPS or reading my map
    > when the little buggers attack me. Once I learn the trail, then I won't be bad, but I'm still
    > learning and their are quite a few trails.

    After a while, you will learn how to press the buttons on the GPS, your bike computer, and drink
    from your water bottle, without having to stop riding the bike.

    If you do have to stop, stop in a sunny open area, not in a dark shady area with lots of leafy
    bushes and trees around.

  7. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > >For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3
    > >mph so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.
    >
    > I dunno, the genetic mutants up here in AK seem to keep pace frighteningly well. They'll even
    > draft you to match speed.

    You people must ride really slow.

  8. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > >> That would be because they were not there to begin with. No repellents, chemical or electronic,
    > >> work. Period.
    > >
    > > Sure, they do. You aren't related to JPuddin'head, are you?
    >
    > Well, I tried DEET and I have to say that I had a lot less bug bites the last two times, although
    > the mosquitoes were just as bad as or worse than when I first went out.

    You still had bites, right? So you believe that some mosquitos were repelled by the DEET, yet
    others had no problem with it and just bit you anyway? You had fewer bites, because there were
    fewer mosquitos, or you had less light and were not talking as much or breathing as hard which
    attracts them.

    The fact that any mosquitos bit you with DEET on, shows what a joke these repellents are. Everyone
    from ABC NEWS and CNN to Consumer Reports have done numerous tests and programs on every mosquito
    repellent on the market, and NONE of them ever work. I can light a Citronella candle and watch all
    the mosquitos head right for it. At the end of a night, you will find dozens of mosquitos trapped in
    the hot wax of the Citronella they are supposed to hate so much, yet actually get attracted to it
    like it was candy.

    But if some product says they have something that will repel mosquitos, some people will just never
    learn and waste their money on it.

    Have you seen those stickers with the fancy design on it that you stick on your cell phone to get
    better reception by magic? Only $10 for that sticker, you should go out and buy one!

  9. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:23:48 GMT, Hosh <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3
    >> mph so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.
    >
    > Exactly. How the hell are people getting bit by mosquitos when they are riding bikes???

    Ahh -- I'm not familiar with the area, so I have to stop and look at my map. Additionally, there's a
    ton of trails not on the map. I have a GPS, but I've only used it once before, so I was trying to
    follow instructions on how to use it.

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  10. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > > Exactly. How the hell are people getting bit by mosquitos when they are riding bikes???
    >
    > Ahh -- I'm not familiar with the area, so I have to stop and look at my map.

    You don't need to be familiar with an area to see where the trails are. To each his own, but if I
    had to stop and worry about maps and things, I would not be enjoying the adventure of the ride.

    > Additionally, there's a ton of trails not on the map.

    All the more reason to not stop and look at it. You are right, I have yet to see a bike trail map
    that was accurate. I just explore all the trails and remember which one leads where. Every trail is
    not going to be familiar the first time, but that means I have even less time to stop as I have lots
    of ground to cover to learn where everything leads.

    > I have a GPS, but I've only used it once before, so I was trying to follow instructions on how to
    > use it.

    That you do at home before you go out.

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shawn Curry thoughtfully penned:
    > Hosh wrote:
    >>> Now, _you_ may ride like Ned Endoverendoverend, but I get seriously slow going uphill in this
    >>> stuff. Not to mention there being _no_ "open, sunny" places. It's all woods.
    >>

    >> So who says you have to ride there? If I want to, I can ride in ponds, but then it would be silly
    >> if I complained that there were too many fish getting caught in my spokes and posted a question
    >> on how to reduce such a problem.
    >>
    >> I have lots of mosquito infested woods I could ride in too, but I don't find that very enjoyable,
    >> so I take my bike to open sunny places to ride that don't have mosquitos. Simple. Try it.
    >>

    >>> Can we assume that you ride in the city parks on paved trails,
    >>

    >> Yuk, then you have people around which are just as annoying as mosquitos.
    >>

    >>> and this is why you must have a kickstand (for when you stop at the water-fountain) and a lock
    >>> and chain?
    >>

    >> No fountains where I ride, but I find taking care of my bike rather than just throwing it on the
    >> ground, keeps it in better shape.
    >>
    >> But then again, people like you that don't have kickstands (because you are worried about the
    >> extra weight LOL) probably don't wax and wash your cars either.
    >>
    >> If you have cheap cars and bikes, you tend not to want to take care of them as much. When you
    >> get out of school and can afford better stuff, then perhaps you will want to take better care of
    >> them too.
    >>

    > Kill file or laugh, kill file or laugh, hmm...

    especially since his attributes aren't quoted properly and he's talking to that old guy, SB....

    1ยข

  12. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Shawn Curry thoughtfully penned:
    > > Hosh wrote:
    > >> So who says you have to ride there? If I want to, I can ride in ponds, but then it would be
    > >> silly if I complained that there were too many fish getting caught in my spokes and posted a
    > >> question on how to reduce such a problem.
    > >>
    > >> I have lots of mosquito infested woods I could ride in too, but I don't find that very
    > >> enjoyable, so I take my bike to open sunny places to ride that don't have mosquitos. Simple.
    > >> Try it.

    > >> Yuk, then you have people around which are just as annoying as mosquitos.

    > >> No fountains where I ride, but I find taking care of my bike rather than just throwing it on
    > >> the ground, keeps it in better shape.
    > >>
    > >> But then again, people like you that don't have kickstands (because you are worried about the
    > >> extra weight LOL) probably don't wax and wash your cars either.
    > >>
    > >> If you have cheap cars and bikes, you tend not to want to take care of them as much. When you
    > >> get out of school and can afford better stuff, then perhaps you will want to take better care
    > >> of them too.
    > >>

    > > Kill file or laugh, kill file or laugh, hmm...
    >
    > especially since his attributes aren't quoted properly and he's talking
    > that old guy, SB....

    You mean the one still in (junior high?) school?

    Bill "betcha a buck Hosh hits the highway before week is up" S.

  13. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:27:02 GMT, Hosh <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >> >For mosquitos the best solution is to keep moving on the bike. They have a top speed of about 3
    >> >mph so is you keep moving you'll be out of their reach.
    >>
    >> I dunno, the genetic mutants up here in AK seem to keep pace frighteningly well. They'll even
    >> draft you to match speed.
    >
    >You people must ride really slow.

    LOL, hadn't thought of that angle. A lie though, I can tell you that.
    :)

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"