I've discovered the bicycle highway!

DHinrichs

Jul 14, 2004
I was on a long motorcycle trip a few weeks ago (3300 miles) and was coming back from Washington State along US Hwy 2 across Montana. This was on Friday, Aug. 5. I saw many many bikers going both ways. There was a LARGE group (20 or so?) strung out for miles headed west, all wearing the same jersey. I couldn't figure out who they were and I was heading east so did not stop and chat with any of them. But they were wearing what looked like a grey jersey with an orange emblem on the front. I saw a few other groups headed west including a group of 4 not young guys all in yellow jerseys and towing B.O.B. trailers. There were many headed east also in ones and twos. If you were one of them and a black Triumph motorycle flew by and the rider waved...it was me. I didn't see quite so many bicyclists any where else on my trip and it was almost entirely that day on HWY 2. They were on either side of Shelby, MT, but mostly just east of Shelby (I-15). There was one other large group of riders I saw the day before (Thurs. Aug. 4th) near Lake Coeur D'Alene near Idaho HWY 3. Anybody know who or what any of these groups was?

Just curious

David H

DHinrichs said:
I was on a long motorcycle trip a few weeks ago (3300 miles) and was coming back from Washington State along US Hwy 2 across Montana. This was on Friday, Aug. 5. I saw many many bikers going both ways. There was a LARGE group (20 or so?) strung out for miles headed west, all wearing the same jersey. I couldn't figure out who they were and I was heading east so did not stop and chat with any of them. But they were wearing what looked like a grey jersey with an orange emblem on the front. I saw a few other groups headed west including a group of 4 not young guys all in yellow jerseys and towing B.O.B. trailers. There were many headed east also in ones and twos. If you were one of them and a black Triumph motorycle flew by and the rider waved...it was me. I didn't see quite so many bicyclists any where else on my trip and it was almost entirely that day on HWY 2. They were on either side of Shelby, MT, but mostly just east of Shelby (I-15). There was one other large group of riders I saw the day before (Thurs. Aug. 4th) near Lake Coeur D'Alene near Idaho HWY 3. Anybody know who or what any of these groups was?

Just curious

David H

Sorry to be off topic, but were you by any chance out at Sturgis at all? Just wondering, as I was there a few years ago working with my tattoo artist. It was a great time and I'd love to get back someday!

martin_j001 said:
Sorry to be off topic, but were you by any chance out at Sturgis at all? Just wondering, as I was there a few years ago working with my tattoo artist. It was a great time and I'd love to get back someday!

I did go through the Black Hills on this trip but about a week and a half before Sturgis started. I was in WA for the wedding of a relative. On the way back though I encountered LOTS of people headed to Sturgis (it started officially the Monday after I got back to MN). I even rode HWY 2 for a long way through MT with a guy who was on a much longer trip than I and after we parted ways in Williston and HE headed to Sturgis for a few days.

martin_j001 said:

I did go through the Black Hills on this trip but about a week and a half before Sturgis started. I was in WA for the wedding of a relative. On the way back though I encountered LOTS of people headed to Sturgis (it started officially the Monday after I got back to MN). I even rode HWY 2 for a long way through MT with a guy who was on a much longer trip than I and after we parted ways in Williston ND and HE headed to Sturgis for a few days.